Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski

Fieldwork (2007)

by Mischa Berlinski

6195415,730 (3.67)54
Recently added byJeremyBillingsley, private library, ellenuw, dbsovereign, LT_Ammar, haley5, Judy_Ryfinski

My favorite book of 2008. Fascinating perspectives told from 3 points of view. Cannot recommend it high enough ( )
  ellenuw | Jan 27, 2016 |
A wonderful book despite its flaws, this book started out as non-fiction. The author was not able to find anyone who would publish an anthropoligical examination of missionary work with the hill tribes in Thailand. When the pagan tribes start converting, we see the resulting disintegration of a truly unique way of life. Shares many themes with Shusaku Endo's 1996 novel _Silence_. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
What a brilliant read. It is wonderful to see fiction that admits its debt to the anthropological memoir, a genre of literature that would not exist but for human curiosity. Although this is overtly a work of fiction all its nuances felt right and the story, well the story infected me just as well as any flu bug that I can recall. Highly recommended. Read it on a sofa while shutting off the real world as much as is possible. And take joy from it where you can...I know I found plenty. ( )
  TomMcGreevy | Apr 24, 2015 |
Tx Natalie for clearly & charmingly summarizing lots of perspectives so it was easy for me to file this book on my shelves.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
Much better than I expected. I was so dubious when i saw the Chess Club Pres author picture and it was billed as an exotic thriller set in Thailand but it was really quite different and quite enjoyable. I did not expect the twists it took or the long diversions into the Walker missionary family but it was all well-written and very interesting. To the detriment of work at times, I really could not put it down and powered through to the end in one night. The end did tend to fall off a bit but I liked the murkiness of the ending.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
Fieldwork is a clever book, chock-full of David Foster Wallace–esque footnotes and moments of direct address. The arc of the story is interrupted by a variety of informants: Martiya’s roommate from Berkeley; Martiya’s advisor/lover (who once arrived at his cultural anthropology class “wearing nothing but a handsome, three-foot-long embroidered penis sheath”); Martiya herself, in letters. There is pleasure in piecing these bits together, but we occasionally lose sight of Mischa, despite his self-referential devices.

When his girlfriend takes a job in Thailand, Mischa Berlinski goes along for the ride, planning to enjoy himself and work as little as possible. But one evening a fellow expatriate tips him off to a story: a charismatic American anthropologist, Martiya van der Leun, has been found dead--a suicide--in the Thai prison where she was serving a life sentence for murder. Curious at first, Mischa is soon immersed in the details of her story. This brilliant, haunting novel expands into a mystery set among the Thai hill tribes, whose way of life became a battleground for the missionaries and the scientists living among them.

Fieldwork is a 2007 National Book Award Finalist for Fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:37 -0400)

Vivid, passionate, funny, deeply researched, and page-turningly plotted, this novel--set in northern Thailand--is a daring, spellbinding tale of anthropologists, missionaries, demon possession, sexual taboos, murder, and an obsessed young reporter named Mischa Berlinski.… (more)

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

Fieldwork by Mischa Berlinski was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,151,335 books! | Top bar: Always visible