Dog Night at the Story Zoo by Dan Bar-el

Dog Night at the Story Zoo

by Dan Bar-el

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't really a huge fan of the art in this graphic novel personally, but that's just a style preference. The stories the dogs tell are quite an intriguing group of tall 'tails' (forgive the pun). I thought they actually expressed some very human ideas quite well. I would love to see it illustrated by Chris Riddell. ( )
  blueviolent | Oct 10, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received a free advanced copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers giveaway in exchange for an honest review.

To borrow from Zoolander - “Graphic novels are so hot right now.” This is at least the case in the middle school library where I work. There are many students who will pick this up and check it out just because it’s a graphic novel they haven’t read before. In it they will find four different dogs telling the story of how they found their “forever homes” at an open mic night of sorts for dogs hosted by the “Story Zoo.” The stories are diverse, uplifting and brought to a heartwarming conclusion when the dogs each find where they truly belong. The best story in my opinion is the first one where a stray dog tries to “fetch” a best friend for a boy whose best friend has moved away and the dog and boy realize they can be each other’s best friends. I think it’s a great graphic novel for younger students, grades 4 and up. ( )
1 vote nicholsm | Sep 22, 2017 |
I received a free copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.
An adorable graphic novel, Dog Night at the Story Zoo treats readers to emotional and uplifting stories from the canine perspective. Dan Bar-El does a great job of creating sympathetic characters who you can’t help but cheer for: a dog whose unwanted barking behavior saves her human’s life, another who uses her natural skills to solve a crime, and a third who asks everyone to look beyond appearances to appreciate the dog underneath. The stories in this book are entertaining and moving, a great follow-up to Bar-El’s other reads. Would highly recommend for readers in mid-elementary grades. ( )
  leahdawn | Sep 12, 2017 |
Open mic night for dogs! Really? I was surprised to get this book, presumably in place of the one I actually requested from Early Reviewers, but not disappointed. My 9-almost-10-yo grandson was thrilled. His review: "It was great!" He liked the mystery story "The Hound of Bakersville" best, probably because it had action and a surprising twist (he's not very good at explaining reasons). My own favourite story was the one about the dog who likes to fetch, but upon reflection, I believe the theme of friendship and loss was perhaps a little beyond the grasp of a fifth grader. I think we'll keep the book around for a few years because the grandchildren will enjoy it at different levels as they grow into it. That's the great thing a graphic novel like this, it can appeal to children of different ages and abilities. ( )
  muumi | Sep 2, 2017 |
Improve night at the zoo, so to speak. This is a charming graphic novel, divided into four parts. Although there is a connecting thread, each of the parts could stand alone. The connection is story night at the zoo, where both domestic and wild animals go in the late, late evening. Domestic dogs are telling their stories on this particular night and tonight there are 4 storytellers. Although animal lovers will enjoy is the most, this book is not just for animal lovers. The stories are different from each other and the last one is a mystery. Very, very enjoyable. ( )
  geraldinefm | Aug 30, 2017 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Dan Bar-el's book Dog Night at the Story Zoo is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,648,548 books! | Top bar: Always visible