The Woman in the Window by A. J. Finn

The Woman in the Window (2018)

by A. J. Finn

English (153)  Spanish (3)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (158)
This month the book, Woman in the Window, was new to me, but the premise seemed very familiar. Wasn't there an old Alfred Hitchcock story about someone watching people in another apartment and witnessing what looked like a murder? Anyway, I think that plot line has been used more than once before, and even though some of its newer elements were pretty obvious (e.g. I knew the husband and daughter were really dead quite a while before the big reveal), it kept me reading and wondering what was going on right up to the end. Then I felt a little silly because isn't the perp always the one character who seems least likely to be a villian? Still a pretty well-written thriller and a good read. ( )
  NMBookClub | Mar 15, 2019 |
I'm not usually a fan of thrillers, but this was a fast read and I didn't see the end coming! Really enjoyed it. ( )
  KellyFordon | Mar 6, 2019 |
Overall, this was a fairly good read. The plot was interesting and twisty, the writing was fairly tight, and the author seemed to generally know what he was talking about. He definitely could've done with some more research into his main character, as he got some basic details wrong, but aside from that he generally did a solid job. ( )
  mediumofballpoint | Mar 4, 2019 |
Fairly good psychological thriller. Well written and narrated. Gave some insight into agoraphobia and the story unfolded in a way that kept you in suspense and wanting more. ( )
  jvgravy | Mar 3, 2019 |
I got this as a Christmas present because someone who knew of my love for Gillian Flynn’s novels heard this was a good book for fans of her stuff. And I definitely wasn’t disappointed. I managed to speed through this book in just a few days, and it kept me wanting to know more and turning the pages.

I can’t really speak fully to my thoughts on the plot without spoiling anything, but I’ll try my best. The breadcrumbing that was going on to figure out the reason for Anna’s alcoholism and agoraphobia was so dragged out and the story of the New England vacation could have come earlier, in my opinion. Or like, 50% of it could have come earlier. The other 50% was the only twist I didn’t manage to guess.

It was kind of obvious to me that the culprit was who they were, so when the reveal at the end came I wasn’t really surprised at all, but I wasn’t wholly unsurprised because there were part of the books that I started to second-guess myself with the red herrings.

What did make this book a page-turner for me were the characters. Anna is a fine main character and I have some conflicting feelings about her. Her alcoholism and unreliability as a narrator is pretty basic and formulaic compared to recent trendy books in the thriller genre. She was weird in her own unique way though, and I mean that in the best way possible because I liked that she was kind of a weirdo. Some of her flaws I just found frustrating, though.

But I ended up super invested in a few of the supporting characters. I loved Ethan from his first appearance, and as the book went on I just kept liking him more and more. Oddly, I also found myself really invested in Ed, Anna’s husband who she’s separated from, and David, her tenant. I really liked Jane and wanted to know what happened to her. But none of the other characters particularly stood out to me. I didn’t even care about Anna’s eight-year-old daughter. Which, yikes.

So some of the story was predictable but there are a few twists and enough red-herrings to keep things interesting, a few of the characters were great, and it was overall a worthwhile read. ( )
  yvonnekins | Mar 1, 2019 |
A.J. Finn turns out to be the nom de plume for Daniel Mallory, an executive editor at Morrow, the book's publisher, with a special interest in mysteries and film noir. The Woman in the Window is his tribute to both genres and, let me say outright, he does them credit.... What this is is an intelligent, carefully constructed novel of psychological suspense that focuses on a single character whose moods, secrets and fears drive the plot. It's here, in that slow buildup, that Finn/Mallory shows his real talent. He's much more in tune with the intense characters of Minette Walters or Frances Fyfield.... Aside from a visit from a neighbourhood child whose family she's been watching, nothing much happens for more than 100 pages. I confess, I put the book down and might not have gone back but for this review. Other readers may do the same. Please slog on, there is a reason here.

A. J. Finnprimary authorall editionscalculated
Kankaanpää, JaakkoTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindell, KlaraTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Voor George
Haar man is bijna thuis.
Ik heb het gevoel dat ergens in jou
iets is waar niemand vanaf weet

Shadow of a Doubt(1943)
"You need me to take care of anything before I go?" It sounds like a proposition, like a line from a noir. You just put your lips together and blow.
At any hour, at all hours, there are at least a few dozen users checked in, a constellation sprawled across the world.
Inside the locket is a tiny photograph, glossy and vivid: a small boy, age four or so, yellow hair in riot, teeth like a picket fence after a hurricane.
As I surface, the dream drains away like water. The memory, really. I try to scoop it up in my palms, but it's gone.

"The Woman in the Window is the most riveting thriller I’ve read since Gone Girl. A. J. Finn is a bold new talent with the touch of a master."— New York Times Bestselling Author Tess Gerritsen

"The Woman in the Window is a tour de force. A twisting, twisted odyssey inside one woman’s mind, her illusions, delusions, reality. It left my own mind reeling and my heart pounding. An absolutely gripping thriller."—#1 New York Times Bestselling Author Louise Penny

For readers of Gillian Flynn and Tana French comes one of the decade’s most anticipated debuts, to be published in thirty-five languages around the world and already in development as a major film from Fox: a twisty, powerful Hithcockian thriller about an agoraphobic woman who believes she witnessed a crime in a neighboring house.

It isn’t paranoia if it’s really happening . . .

Anna Fox lives alone?a recluse in her New York City home, unable to venture outside. She spends her day drinking wine (maybe too much), watching old movies, recalling happier times . . . and spying on her neighbors.

Then the Russells move into the house across the way: a father, mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna, gazing out her window one night, sees something she shouldn’t, her world begins to crumble?and its shocking secrets are laid bare.

What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this diabolically gripping thriller, no one—and nothing—is what it seems.

Twisty and powerful, ingenious, and moving, The Woman in the Window is a smart, sophisticated novel of psychological suspense that recalls the best of Hitchcock.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 24 Apr 2017 20:13:39 -0400)

"It isn't paranoia if it's really happening ... Anna Fox lives alone -- a recluse in her New York City home, drinking too much wine, watching old movies ... and spying on her neighbors. Then the Russells move next door: a father, a mother, their teenaged son. The perfect family. But when Anna sees something she shouldn't, her world begins to crumble -- and its shocking secrets are laid bare. What is real? What is imagined? Who is in danger? Who is in control? In this gripping Hitchcockian thriller, no one and nothing are what they seem."--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,345,339 books! | Top bar: Always visible