dismiss

Ms. Marvel Vol. 8: Mecca by G. Willow Wilson

Ms. Marvel Vol. 8: Mecca (edition 2017)

by G. Willow Wilson (Author), Marco Failla (Illustrator), Diego Olortegui (Illustrator), Ian Herring (color artist), Joe Caramagna (letterer)4 more, Travis Lanham (letterer), Nelson Blake II (Cover artist), Rachelle Rosenberg (Cover artist), Valero Schiti (Cover artist)

Series: Ms. Marvel (Vol.4, 4), Ms. Marvel Vol. 4 [2015-] (19-24)

An enemy from Ms. Marvel's past resurfaces and begins targeting those closest to Kamala. As the world around her is spinning out of control, it becomes clear that this time there's something more sinister at work...Kamala's no stranger to fighting for what's right, but in facing down this challenge, everything she is will be called into question. Not just as a super hero, but as a human being. COLLECTING: MS. MARVEL 19-24… (more)
Member:donutage
Title:Ms. Marvel Vol. 8: Mecca
Authors:G. Willow Wilson (Author)
Other authors:Marco Failla (Illustrator), Diego Olortegui (Illustrator), Ian Herring (color artist), Joe Caramagna (letterer), Travis Lanham (letterer)3 more, Nelson Blake II (Cover artist), Rachelle Rosenberg (Cover artist), Valero Schiti (Cover artist)
Info:Marvel (2017), 136 pages
Collections:Moorestown
Rating:***
Tags:comics, 21c, american, superhero, series, Marvel, New Jersey

Ms. Marvel Vol. 8: Mecca by G. Willow Wilson

English (8)  Swedish (1)  All languages (9)
This volume was actually rather interesting if not actually brilliant. We have a new villain and a somewhat usual attack on New Jersey, but underneath the usual storylines, this is where the comic is good.

Relationships. Character development. Belonging.

In this case, it really is about belonging to a place and what it means to your sense of self. I like that.

This isn't ever going to be one of my favorite comics, but I can appreciate what it does right. :) ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
Oh man, could Ms. Marvel be anymore awesome? She's quick-thinking and always looking to do what is right. Even when she has she has to choose between wrong and more-wrong-she always finds a way. In this installment, Ms. Marvell has to fight the people that she has vowed to protect when they try to fight back against her and other inhumans. She (like always) saves the day, but not without learning about herself and how she isn't immune to things like weariness, heartbreak, and hunger! In the last issue of this book, Red Dagger (from Ms. Marvel volume 6-when she goes to visit family abroad) has come to visit and helps her save a runaway train and helps Kamala realize that she has to take care of herself in order to take care of others. I can't wait for Volume Nine! ( )
  lispylibrarian | Dec 11, 2019 |
More complicated, more problems - poor Ms Marvel

I continue to enjoy the exploits of Ms. Marvel - they're complicated, and like other super heroes, not easy. This sees Kamala navigating a take over of Jersey City by xenophobic homeland defenders - defending against superheroes. Oh, and the Red Dagger is now in town - maybe she's superfluous and should take a break from all this ... stay tuned. ( )
  mrklingon | Apr 22, 2019 |
I am not sure if I am tired, or the series. I get what she was doing in the first storyline, speaking up against Trumpism and the usurpation of democracy, but I don’t like it to be too obvious. In the second story, I enjoyed the banter between Ms. Marvel and Red Dagger, but the story lacked even basic knowledge of trains and train routing systems... I also did not like the changing artists. This was a kinda meh experience. ( )
  Gezemice | Mar 8, 2019 |
Ms Marvel Vol 8: Mecca written by G Willow Wilson and illustrated by Marco Failla and Diego Olortegui is the eight collected volume of Ms Marvel comics. I have reviewed all the previous seven (links), which means I feel like I have been following and Marvel for a long time. This volume followed on from the events of the previous one (the mayoral election was particularly relevant to the first story arc) and featured the reappearance of a minor character we had met before.

The first story arc in the volume was three issues long and very topical. It was about silent majorities and people seizing power and abusing it. Ms Marvel suffers some existential angst brought on by a) not everyone liking her and b) some people hating her and thinking she’s making Jersey City worse. But the story also deals with issues of immigration and the ostracism of people who are different. The issues are blended between immigrants and Kamala’s family, and people with super powers who are specifically being targeted by government forces. It was a pretty powerful storyline.

In comparison, the second story arc was a lot more fun and light. It was two issues of Ms Marvel and her new friend/sidekick stopping a train whose breaks had failed, but which wasn’t actually going very fast. There were some hairy moments but there was also a lot of character development. The volume ends on a low note but since I know there’s another volume out there, I’m not too worried.

I enjoyed both stories in this volume and I highly recommend it to fans of Ms Marvel. As usual, I think it works a bit better if you’ve read the earlier comics, but it probably stands alone a bit better than some of the others. I think all the important back story is filled in with only a few minor things left a bit ambiguous for people who haven’t read the rest of the series.

4.5 / 5 stars

You can read more of my reviews on my blog. ( )
  Tsana | Jan 25, 2019 |

G. Willow Wilson is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 148,042,898 books! | Top bar: Always visible