Holiday in the Hamptons by Sarah Morgan

Holiday in the Hamptons

by Sarah Morgan

I liked Fliss's story but I found the writing not as good as that of the other stories in the series. ( )
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
  JulesGDSide | Nov 29, 2018 |
*I received a free copy of this book from the publisher through a Goodreads giveaway in exchange for an honest review.*

When I requested this on Goodreads, I was hoping it was going to be a cute romance, and that’s exactly what I got! I’m glad I didn’t see that it was part of a series, though. I usually don’t request sequels, but this series has books that can pretty much stand by themselves, so it was a happy accident that I didn’t see it.

This book follows the story of Felicity “Fliss” whose grandmother takes a nasty fall, so she has to go to the Hamptons to take care of her. When her ex-husband Seth shows up in the Hamptons, Fliss takes on her twin’s identity in order to avoid talking to him as herself and try to distance herself from him. Seth, however, is determined to win Fliss back and figure out just why they fell apart all those years ago.

Twins, a cute ex-husband, a romance that ended in disaster but still didn’t quite go away — this book has a lot of drama packed into it. And yet, it still feels like a fun, fluffy read. The characters are incredibly love-able that I just felt connected to them right away and couldn’t stop reading, because I needed to see what would happen next and how they would deal with the next life challenge that came their way. The romance aspect is done slowly, it’s not hot and heavy right away, but slowly develops as the two characters learn more about each other and start talking about the reasons for their breakup ten years ago, and what led up to it. There are quite a few revelations and surprises for the characters (and therefore the readers), which offers a nice lesson on communication and assumption when in a relationship.

While a lot of this is beach fun, Morgan tackles really important, emotional issues in this book. I think this book and Fliss’s character model each other; she loves having fun and running around on the beach, but she has a lot of deeper goals and a painful history. In the same way, this book seems on the surface like a light, fluffy romance read, but actually contains real struggle that would challenge any relationship. That’s really what bumped this book up to four stars for me — it’s cute and fun, but also deals with serious stuff. It’s really just the perfect read.

Aside from the romance stuff, Fliss has a twin sister, and reading about their interactions and relationship is also thoroughly enjoyable. Overall, this book is about love, family, and friends, and how those bonds are made and sometimes broken. This was such a satisfying read that I’m considering branching out to read other books in the series! Recommended for romance and contemporary fans!

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Oct 16, 2017 |
Originally posted on Tales to Tide You Over

One of the reasons I like reading romances is because of how they focus on problem solving. Characters may run away in the short term, but ultimately they have to knuckle down and do the hard work. People talk about the romancing and courting in these novels, but that’s not what’s important to me. Whether it’s a billionaire who never had to fight for anything or a single mom trying to do right by everyone but herself, or any number of other traditional romance plots, most romances look at what tears us apart, and what we need to do to pull together and stay that way. It’s never simple, and it could be internal and/or external forces opposing, but it’s always worth the effort.

Why is that important? Well, Holiday in the Hamptons might have an innocuous title, but it’s knee deep in the big problems. The book description barely hints at what’s going on, but you learn Felicity, or Fliss as she’s called, is a mental abuse survivor from the prologue (which you really should not skip over). Maybe half her side of the problems between her and Seth are a result of survival training in childhood. This is a second chances story, and both of them had to grow up a bit from their first whirlwind relationship and quick marriage with even quicker divorce. Fliss is not there at the beginning, but Seth has realized what he lost all those years ago and is willing to stick it out until she is ready. Even so, he doesn’t understand the depths of how this has affected her, or how much his own childhood is coloring his perceptions about what she’s doing and feeling.

I loved the many themes mixed into the story. The strongest were tied between perceptions versus reality, and how perfect is subjective and involves much more than looks.

The first theme opened up all sorts of amusing moments because Fliss is a twin, but the two of them have very different personalities. At the same time, underlying Fliss’s attempts to pretend to be her sister are complicated fears and deep-seated beliefs hammered into her through a lifetime of shielding her sister from harm. I can’t speak to Seth’s side without spoiling some stuff, but I’ll say at least that his feelings are based on more than just outward appearance, and always had been.

Seth being a veterinarian and Fliss working with dogs offers opportunities to open up, and many lessons in how to help someone suffering from PTSD. Usually PTSD stories are of soldiers, so I appreciated the look at how abuse victims are impacted even long after the abuse has stopped.

The delayed reveal of the details of their past relationship only annoyed me up to the point where we start to get Seth’s opinion. It becomes clear what happened then is both very tied to the present and part of what Fliss has to come to a new understanding about. This is also true of the time jumps and summaries throughout the story that allow it to take place over an extended period with enough time for Fliss to begin to heal realistically.

There were many wonderful supporting characters, including a romance author and a bunch of dogs, that were fully fleshed and not always supportive. There was one disappointing moment for me with a secondary character, but it was well within that person’s nature. I just hope she grows out of it. That disappointment is a big part of the theme of perfect being different for each person. No one else can recognize your perfect, so should not interfere when you’ve found it.

This is a complex story, and I could go on about it longer, but I’ll stop here with the following: Fliss and Seth are on a difficult journey. The characters, lead and supporting, are very real, and because of that, they can be frustrating. There are on-screen sex scenes, but both necessary to the plot and not described in significant detail. True to the romance promise, the book ends in a happily ever after, but it’s a hard road to get there with a lot to think about on the way. A strong tale well worth the read.

P.S. I received this title from the publisher through NetGalley in return for an honest review. ( )
  MarFisk | Oct 7, 2017 |
This was my first book by Sarah Morgan and as such, the first in this series. I had no trouble following along and actually I didn't even remember that it was a series until I started to review the book. In reading the book, I had no idea! Yay!

This was a great beach read, escape story and every entertaining. I loved the bit about the twin sisters, Fliss and Harriet, and how it was hard, if you didn't know them real well, to tell them apart. It reminded me of that "Parent Trap" movie, only a lot more grownup.

I sped through this book and while the main character, Fliss was going on and on about whether she should give Seth a chance and did she really have any feelings for him, yada yada yada. While some books can drive you crazy with this issue, I think the author handled it beautifully. I did not tire of the story or characters and sped right through.

Thanks to Harlequin, HQN Books and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Sep 12, 2017 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0373803990, Mass Market Paperback)

The perfect summer escape?

Professional dog-walker Felicity Knight loves everything about New York…until her ex-husband starts working at her local vet clinic. She hasn't seen Seth Carlyle in ten years, but one glimpse of him—too gorgeous, and still too good for her—and Fliss's heart hurts like their whirlwind marriage ended yesterday. So when her grandmother in the Hamptons needs help for the summer, it seems the ideal way to escape her past.

Their relationship might have lasted only a few scorching months, but vet Seth knows Fliss—if she's run away to the Hamptons, it's because she still feels their connection and it terrifies her. He let her go once before, when he didn't know any better, but not this summer! With the help of his adorable dog, Lulu, and a sprinkling of beachside magic, Seth is determined to make Fliss see that he's never stopped loving her…

Sarah Morgan delights with more love and laughter in her acclaimed series From Manhattan with Love, which Publishers Weekly calls "engaging…[a] classic sweep-you-off-your-feet romantic experience."

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 23 Apr 2017 00:48:43 -0400)

"Professional dog-walker Felicity Knight loves everything about New York--until her ex-husband starts working at her local vet clinic. She hasn't seen Seth Carlyle in ten years, but one glimpse of him--too gorgeous, and still too good for her--and Fliss's heart hurts like their whirlwind marriage ended yesterday. So when her grandmother in the Hamptons needs help for the summer, it seems the ideal way to escape her past"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,581,513 books! | Top bar: Always visible