99 Stormtroopers Join the Empire (Star Wars)…

99 Stormtroopers Join the Empire (Star Wars)

by Greg Stones

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I liked this book. Its a quick read and easy to get through for most children. 99 bottles of beer style of storm troopers. Harkens of a classic but not quite there. ( )
  JacobDecker | Feb 23, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a cute and funny little book, and a quick read. It's basically the Star Wars version of Bunny Suicides. You find yourself going "ohhhhh!" on just about every page, and the ending is the best part. Fun to peruse! ( )
  Alliebadger | Oct 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
When I finished 99 Stormtroopers Join the Empire, I felt the same as after I had watched the "Dumb Ways to Die" video -- mildly amused, but a bit creeped out. Here, we have almost a hundred hapless stormtroopers living in the Star Wars universe, which is predominantly the original trilogy, although there are a few that reference the prequels, the one currently existing sequel, and Rogue One. And they all manage to get into a bit of trouble.

I like to end my reviews with a recommendation: which readers would really like the book, and who should stay away? I'm at a loss on this one. It's written on the level of a children's book, with each description usually ten words or fewer, and a gigantic picture on the opposite page. But all of the stormtroopers are facing a perilous death, so that may not be the thing you want to read to your entering-school-age kids before bed.

LibraryThing haiku:
Lives of menial
stormtroopers end quickly
in so many ways.

[Early Reviewer book] ( )
  legallypuzzled | Oct 29, 2017 |
Library Thing Early Reviewer:

This is a very simple, yet adorable reader, for a super young Star Wars fan. This talks about all the ways that we lose Stormtroopers. It is laden with straightforward art, that sometimes is all about the starkness of what is missing from a picture and sometimes fills the whole page. It's delightfully full of in references from all of the movies they are in, and characters/situations in them that we never saw stormtroppers in.
  wanderlustlover | Oct 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
99 Stormtroopers Join the Empire... On the one hand it's very cute and there are some great moments in the book. However, I feel as if the book suffers from a sort of identity crisis. It's not quite sure what it wants to be. Most of it feels like a classic children's book, but then there are some abstract moments young children absolutely will not understand. That are other moments you probably don't want children to understand, as in Darth Vader enters the picture and this thing happens. There is a countdown from the beginning of the book and its pages constantly remind you where the count is, so you'll always know about how far you are from the end of the story. That may bug some people. Also, if you're going to be bothered by skipping around Star Wars timelines and events, this book will scoot you a little farther down Bonkers Ave.

If you're a Star Wars fan and can enjoy things for what they are, despite some inconsistencies with things as they happened in the movies, then you may enjoy what Mr. Stones is offering here. It probably won't stay on my shelf, but I'll ask friends with slightly older children if they'd like a romp. ( )
  kawika | Oct 5, 2017 |
Ninety-nine stormtroopers join the Empire.

Lives of menial

stormtroopers end quickly

in so many ways.

(legallypuzzled)

Ninety-nine Stormtroopers join the Empire, and then their troubles begin. One takes a lunch break in the carbon freezing chamber. Two underestimate a princess. One picks the wrong time to ask for a promotion. And one interrupts Lord Vader's private time, failing him for the last time. As the trooper count ticks down, how will the last one fare as he receives a very special assignment?… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Greg Stones's book 99 Stormtroopers Join the Empire is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible