Leia, Princess of Alderaan by Claudia Gray

Leia, Princess of Alderaan

by Claudia Gray

Wonderful book, as I expected it to be. Nice characterization of our favorite princess as a teenager, and I loved the look into customs and culture on Alderaan. Plus the little connections to The Last Jedi (Admiral Holdo as a spacey teen!) and to Gray's other Leia book, Bloodline. If Claudia Gray could just write a Star Wars book every year, I would die happy... ( )
  GoldieBug | Jan 23, 2019 |
I really really wanted to like this book. I love anything Leia and I'm a huge Star Wars fan. But I was disappointed by this book and I can't quite put a finger on why. The plot is...thin. The character of Leia is in some places interesting, in others exhaustingly annoying. It feels like she was written to fit a certain idea of how a teen thinks. She spends an inordinate amount of time worrying about whether her parents are paying enough attention to her. She seems interested in the love interest (which felt rather shoved in to me) Keir, but they don't have any conversations where Leia is not setting herself up for bad decisions and I didn't really feel any chemistry or friendship there. The other teen characters are slim stereotypes and don't seem to play much of a role. I was particularly stung by the "Luna Lovegood"-ization of Amilyn Holdo. Here the story has a chance to really shine and showcase a female friendship instead of the love interest and it ends up othering Holdo by referring to her in really weird ways. She's an oddity--not a true friendship. I just found Leia implausible as written here. There's a lot of cool world-building, I liked learning about the Organa family, and I liked the idea of Leia going through a quest/maturation of sorts. This just doesn't hold up. ( )
1 vote hlwalrath | Aug 21, 2018 |
Really enjoyed this book. Claudia Gray did an excellent job writing about the Star Wars genre and filling in the story of Princess Leia. I will be buying her other two books on Star Wars, I hope she writes more about General Organa. ( )
  caanderson | Apr 22, 2018 |
I hope I can do this book justice as I review it because I'm not really well versed when it comes to the Star Wars universe, so I'll keep this review simple and short. I borrowed the audio version of this book because I'm curious about Leia's early life. We caught a glimpse of Luke's early life in "A New Hope". So I want to read about Leia and her planet Alderaan before it was blown out to pieces.

The story revolves around Leia experiencing life, the lessons she learns, achievements or mistakes, how she handles difficult situations or even falling in love for the first time. Overall, I give this 4.5 out of 5. This is definitely a must-read for all Star Wars fans. Claudia Gray did a good job researching and writing about these characters. And Saskia Maarlevel is a good choice for reading/narrating this audiobook. She did a wonderful job portraying Princess Leia, she even sometimes sounds like Carrie Fisher. The audio is also graced and bolstered by John Williams's glorious soundtrack as well as the fantastic sound effects associated with Industrial Light & Magic, LucasFilm and all things Star Wars.

Please read my full review on my blog: https://anaskiesbookishmusings.wordpress.com/2018/02/05/audiobook-review-leia-pr... ( )
  anacskie | Feb 5, 2018 |
Star Wars: Leia: Princess of Alderaan
Author: Claudia Gray
Publisher: Disney Book Group/Lucasfilm Press
Date: 2017
Disposition: Hoopla e-book

REVIEW MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS

Summary:
A young princess of Alderaan comes of age in a galaxy on the verge of Civil War. Her parents are keeping secrets from her. She is finding out what it means to be a leader, a Senator, a rebel. She is Leia of Alderaan. And she is growing up.
Genre:
Science Fiction
Space Opera
Movie Adaptions
Coming of Age

Why this book:
It’s Star Wars.

Favorite Character:
I like that this reinforces the idea that R2D2 is the true hero of the Rebellion.

Favorite Scene / Quote:
Love the scene on Wobani during her first mercy mission when she sees the Imperial commander smirk at her and in a flash of anger her future self comes to the fore. Good foretelling of the person she will be. The exuberance of young Leia off to prove herself and running afoul of the Empire and the Rebellion’s plans is well done.

In the words of Grand Moff Tarkin from A New Hope, she’s much too trusting. She let Kier Domani behind the curtain way too easily.

The flight on the Chalhuddan ship and Leia’s negotiating the repayment of a favor to the Chalhuddan leader.

Pacing:
This would be a limiting milieu for both author and character. Leia can’t take huge steps in opposition to the Empire without invalidating her later character strokes in the films. It’s unfortunate that the limitations of what happens beyond the scope of this novel is so glaringly apparent in the constrictions that the story finds itself in. You can only go so far in a midquel that requires you to land between the last of the prequels and Rogue One.

Plot Holes/Out of Character:
Based on my perception of Panaka, he seems out-of-character here. But what could 20 years in IMperial service do to a person. Still seems a betrayal what he was planning to do after he met Leia. Mirrors what Kier does later on. Maybe it’s just like the Jedi and Sith, the nuisance of the shades of gray between the two is fulsome and rich.

Hmm Moments:
I feared that they were going to Rogue One all these new characters, except for Holdo.

WTF Moments:
If Tarkin was as aware as is intimated here and in light of the atrocities that were commited, it seems like her would have jailed and executed the royal family and taken Imperial vengeance on the planet.

Meh / PFFT Moments:
While I wanted coming-of-age drama, we seem to be mired in the opera elements of space opera.

Last Page Sound:
Glad I read it.

Author Assessment:
Case by case basis.

Knee Jerk Reaction:
glad I read it
_________________________________________________ ( )
  texascheeseman | Jan 28, 2018 |

The story of how Leia Organa comes to join the Rebellion.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,482,942 books! | Top bar: Always visible