Beautiful Animals: A Novel by Lawrence…

Beautiful Animals: A Novel (2017)

by Lawrence Osborne

I have read others books by this author so the slow pacing was not unfamiliar. What was different was the boring story and vanilla characters.
If you are looking for a story that moves at a glacial place, and the two lead characters are shallow narcissitic millennials with rich parents, a storyline that was written on a cocktail napkin, and you like reading many of the nonsensical fiction found in the New Yorker magazine- you know, lots of big SAT words to describe what isn’t important or relevant, then this book is for you. ( )
  zmagic69 | Jun 4, 2018 |
I'm quite surprised that a well-known critic would call this a great book. It is not. It is a reasonably good book, but many things hold it back from greatness. If you like an omniscient narrator--this is your book. The author can speak bluntly from the minds of two young women in their early twenties, but at times describes them as if they were 14 year olds. He also reports confidently from the mind of a Syrian refugee, and older English gentleman-bodyguard-PI, and a Greek house-servant whose "master" and "mistress" references sound like they descended from a different century. I picked the book up because I'd recently been on Hydra. I'm so glad I didn't read it before I went. I'm delighted that I didn't meet a single professional or world class hipster/bohemian/jet-setter. The off season in Hydra was wonderfully peaceful, and I only met gracious and dignified and helpful Hydriots. For all his insider knowledge of the more obscure geography of Hydra, and his ability to season the book with Greek words that the average reader will have to look up, somehow I don't think he did justice to the setting--his descriptive powers I think could have been spent on capturing the beauty of Hydra in such a way as to share the experience with his reader and perhaps give them a clue as to why, apart from Leonard Cohen fans, the island is special. His boozy references to the drinking habits of his subjects was worthy of a Hemingway story.
. ( )
  rsairs | Apr 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Meh. I received this from Early Reviewers. I made to my cut off page 50. It was boring. I guess the story is about two girls running into a stranger and then strange stuff happens to them afterwards? All I know is I hated all the characters and the two girls were just superficial. Their parents got on my nerves and it just wasn't for me.
  booklover3258 | Jan 28, 2018 |
I didn't like any of the characters, but the overall theme of the book was thought provoking. Naomi is a young woman of wealth staying on the island of Hydra with her father and stepmother. She meets Samantha, an American girl of more modest means, and they strike up a friendship. One day while roaming the island, they come across an Arab man who has "washed up" from the sea. Naomi thinks it is their moral duty to help this man almost as a balance of their own life of ease.

They do take steps to help Faoud, who has escaped from Syria. After finding a place for him to hide out, they make plans for his escape by having him rob Naomi's house. But, something goes terribly wrong and the father and stepmother are killed.

The story follows Faoud as he makes his way out of Greece with the passport and credit card of Naomi's father. The girls make a cold hard decision to bury the bodies of the parents.

Interesting juxtaposition of supposedly making a moral decision on one issue and then without regard or regret burying the parents. Are they making these moral decisions based only on convenience. ( )
  maryreinert | Dec 7, 2017 |
Almost put this one down, the pacing is so slow. But I liked the descriptions of the Greek Island where the story takes place. Generally unlikable characters with no moral compass, it's part thriller, part psychological study. Nice writing, but the plot left me cold. ( )
  grigoro | Nov 26, 2017 |
There is no ship for you, there is no road. As you've wasted your life here, in this small corner, you've destroyed it everywhere else in the world. - Cavafy
High up on the mountainside above the port, the Codringtons slept through the dry June mornings in their villa shaded by cypresses and by awnings rolled down over their doors.

A new novel by the author of THE FORGIVEN, about a Mediterranean vacation that takes a terrifying turn

On a hike during a white-hot summer break on the Greek island of Hydra, Naomi and Samantha make a startling discovery: a man named Faoud, sleeping heavily, exposed to the elements, but still alive. Naomi, the daughter of a wealthy British art collector who has owned a villa in the exclusive hills for decades, convinces Sam, a younger American girl on vacation with her family, to help this stranger. As the two women learn more about the man, a migrant from Syria and a casualty of the crisis raging across the Aegean sea, their own burgeoning friendship intensifies, and when a simple plan of revenge goes horrifically wrong, Faoud must go on the run while the girls come to terms with the terrible consequences they have set in motion.

In this brilliant psychological study of manipulation and greed, Lawrence Osborne creates another atmospheric masterpiece reminiscent of Patricia Highsmith and Paul Bowles.

(retrieved from Amazon Sun, 23 Apr 2017 20:50:12 -0400)

"On a summer break on the Greek island of Hydra, two girls make a startling discovery: a young Arab man washed up on shore, a migrant from Syria and a casualty of the crisis raging against across the sea. When a simple plan to help the stranger goes horrifically wrong, all must face the consequences they have set in motion"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Lawrence Osborne's book Beautiful Animals is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,962,639 books! | Top bar: Always visible