The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple,…

The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google (edition 2017)

by Scott Galloway (Author)

Member:trav
Title:The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google
Authors:Scott Galloway (Author)
Info:Portfolio (2017), Edition: First Edition, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Just Finished Reading, Read in 2018, Read - total
Rating:*****
Tags:business, technology, book group, r:podcast

The Four: The Hidden DNA of Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google by Scott Galloway

English (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (2)
If you're looking for an insightful, interesting and even entertaining look at the ever-changing digital economy, Galloway's fascinating book is "it." The author's extensive experience in marketing/business bolsters his credibility -- even if readers don't ultimately embrace all of us premises. His writing is lively, even though some sections border on becoming rants (I'm no Puritan by any stretch, but the multiple F-bombs he drops to emphasize his passionate convictions seem out of place and borderline unprofessional.) But I nitpick. "The Four" is a riveting work that reshaped many of my conceptions about Amazon, Apple, Facebook and Google. It was one of the fastest "reads" in a year. Readers who have even a tenuous interest in how Goliaths in the tech industry are changing the world will find the book well worth their time. ( )
  brianinbuffalo | Jun 14, 2018 |

The acclaimed NYU business professor's tour-de-force on the true nature of technology's titans, and what happens next in their struggle to dominate our lives.

Apple, Amazon, Google, and Facebook are in an unprecedented race towards a $1 trillion valuation--and whoever gets there first will exert untold influence over our economy, public policy, and consumer behavior. How did these four become so successful? How high can they continue to rise? Does any other company stand a chance of competing?

To these questions and more, acclaimed NYU / Stern professor Scott Galloway brings bracing answers. In his highly provocative first book, he pulls back the curtain on exactly how Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google built their massive empires. While the media spins tales about superior products and designs, and the power of technological innovation, Galloway exposes the truth about these "Four Horsemen":

· None of these four are first movers technologically; they've either copied, stolen, or acquired their ideas.
· Each company uses evolutionary psychology to appeal to our basest instincts: Amazon, our need to hunt and gather; Apple, our need to procreate; Facebook, our need for love; and Google, our need for a God.
· These companies are uniquely successful at leveraging competitive advantage built by digital and then protected by analog moats, from an empire of retail stores (Apple) to the world's most efficient physical distribution network (Amazon.)

Through analysis that's both rigorous and entertaining, Galloway outlines the path for the next trillion-dollar company (the Fifth Horseman) and points to which companies are in the running. (Uber, sure; less obvious, Microsoft and Starbucks.) As with Peter Thiel's Zero to One, readers will come away with fresh, game-changing insights about what it takes to win in today's economy.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 24 Apr 2017 14:30:53 -0400)

Business professor Scott Galloway asks fundamental questions about Amazon, Apple, Facebook, and Google. How did those four infiltrate our lives so completely that they're almost impossible to avoid (or boycott)? Why does the stock market forgive them for sins that would destroy other firms? And as they race to become the world's first trillion-dollar company, can anyone challenge them? Galloway deconstructs the strategies of the Four that lurk beneath their shiny veneers. He shows how they manipulate the fundamental emotional needs that have driven us since our ancestors lived in caves, at a speed and scope others cant match. And he reveals how you can apply the lessons of their ascent to your own business or career… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,259,851 books! | Top bar: Always visible