Far from the Tree: What does it mean to be a…

Far from the Tree: What does it mean to be a family?

by Robin Benway

Three adopted siblings discover each other and learn the true meaning of 'family' is deeper than biology. Grace, an only child, is haunted by perfection and high expectations. Maya stands out as a dark-haired child in a bio family of light-skinned caucasians. Joaquin, half Mexican, has never known a real family and is shunted from foster home to home. The dialogue and pacing are superb and it is sure to speak to teens in all kinds of family settings. On the down side, each sib has a slew of problems which are After-School-Special-ish in terms of scope. More troubling, each seems remarkably articulate and self aware (older than their years). A minor quibble for a good book. ( )
  mjspear | Feb 5, 2019 |
I'm not a big YA reader but this year must have been a great one for the genre. Between The Hate U Give and this one, which won the National Book Award for Young Adult Lit (which is honestly the only reason I picked it up), I may be reading more YA in the future. It was emotional and real without pandering or talking down to its audience. I really loved it. ( )
  Katie_Roscher | Jan 18, 2019 |
Three teens voices struggling w/ adoption, foster care , even a baby , shifting between them smoothly& bringing them together as long lost siblings who share the same mother: shall they seek her out ? Should they tell their adopted parents what they’re up to ? And how to embrace their newly found siblings and still remain true to their adopted siblings? Each one also deals with romance, budding or broken -one a lesbian relationship, handled matter of factly. Well written; definitely dialogue heavy - for teen readers who are eager to read about these issues ( )
  BDartnall | Dec 31, 2018 |
I listened to the audiobook and side from being extremely aware of overused phrases I loved it. the description cited "for fans of This is Us" and the similarites are in fact too strong to ignore. However, this book is unique enough from the show that there's no way to predict how the characters' lives will be.

I will admit to having some problems with the book, such as the lack of a noticeable age difference between the biological siblings. They're teenagers and 6 months and a different grade makes a difference, so it felt unrelastic that this was absent.

I would definitely recommend this book to a friend without concern for what they like to read, or what their lives are like. I think this book, even though it is young adult, has something for everybody. ( )
  startwithgivens | Dec 4, 2018 |
My goodness! When I saw that this was a young adult novel, I knew that it would approach all kinds of issues with a punch you generally don't find in adult novels. I was completely unprepared for the number of issues that Robin addressed telling the stories of these three siblings who have just found each other. It was an intelligent novel, and the emotional impact it has is not to be ignored. If you read this novel, prepare to be blindsided by emotions you don't expect. You might even find yourself changed after you finish the last page. ( )
  gentlespirit512 | Nov 27, 2018 |
For my brother
Grace hadn't really thought too much about homecoming.
He wished they would go away, because nothing was worse than someone wanting to talk when the words you needed to say hadn't been invented yet.
Sympathy was sometimes worse than being ignored.
One of the reasons Grace had given up Peach was because she hadn't wanted her life to stop ("You're so young," her parents had implored over and over again), but nobody had told Grace that her life might stop anyway, that she'd be trapped in the amber of her pregnancy, of Peach, while the rest of the world continued to change around her.
She had spent  so long operating under the idea that secrets never left their house that she didn't know how to handle it when any of them escaped, except to make her walls closer, tighter, hugging her in so no one else would ever be able to enter.

Three teenagers, biological siblings separated by adoption, explore the meaning of family in all its forms--how to find it, how to keep it, and how to love it.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,551,464 books! | Top bar: Always visible