Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends by…

Short & Tall Tales: Moose County Legends (2002)

by Lilian Jackson Braun

A collection of very short stories supposedly told by the citizens of Moose County to James Qwilleran. The stories didn't hang together at all, were all over the place and a lot of them didn't seem to have any point. Most of these stories are reprinted from various Cat Who books. To me these stories represent what has gone wrong with the series, too many boring stories and no mystery. There was only one story I really liked but with the stories being about 3 pages long it was a short read. ( )
  RachelNF | Jan 15, 2016 |
I find Qwill, Koko and Yum Yum fascinating, their neighbors not so much. I enjoyed the series more in its original setting in the city. Those who love Pickaxe, however, will enjoy this book. Unfortunately, I was bored. ( )
  DonnaRowe | May 20, 2015 |
A silly book full of silly stories. Most of the stories are familiar from when Jim heard them during the events of various the Cat Who books, although I think a few were new. A fun, light read. ( )
  bluesalamanders | Apr 19, 2014 |
I'm a great fan of Braun and her "Cat who....." series. I think I've probably read every one of them, and listened to several on audio too. The main character is a journalist Jim Qwilleran, who writes for the Moose County Paper upnorth. He's cat owner, raconteur, and he's got 'a thing' going with the town librarian! What's not to love?.

According to Braun, this is Qwill's "book" that he set out to writen when he moved to Pickax. It's really a series of oral history stories of all the characters in all the books over the years. The fact that it's pure fiction is beside the point. If you have read the other books, you will recognize the story telllers and you will enjoy these short tales of life in small town America. Often if I forget about Pickax, I could be reading about Maine. ( )
  tututhefirst | Jun 20, 2009 |
A series of mini-stories inspired by Americana. Jackson Braun does a great job of capturing the pioneering spirit and the love of story-telling. Unfortunately, because the stories are so short (some no longer than a page), many of them fall flat and lack an insightful conclusion. ( )
  Cecilturtle | May 20, 2007 |
How a miraculous bit of good luck started a three-generation course of success and disappointment, love and hatred, disaster and...all's well that ends well.

As the devoted readers of the series know, Qwill has been working on this book since The Cat Who Tailed a Thief. Now the tales are finally all compiled-legends such as "The Secret of the Blacksmith's Wife" and "The Trevelyan Curse."

In Short and Tall Tales, Lilian Jackson Braun introduces James Mackintosh Qwilleran and tells how he collected the tales. Qwill provides a preface for each legend, identifying the teller and the circumstances. And it is no surprise that the tales themselves are entertaining stories that reveal the off-beat "history" of Moose County.

Cat Who . . . fans will delight in reading these stories and anecdotes taken from the pages of the books they have come to love.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:06 -0400)

3 During his years in Pickax, Jim Qwilleran has been collecting the fascinating folklore of Moose County by listening to his neighbors. Here he presents 27 tales, each prefaced by a brief background of the person who tells it.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,909,192 books! | Top bar: Always visible