George & Lizzie by Nancy Pearl

George & Lizzie

by Nancy Pearl

When I was sent a copy of this book by the publisher to review, I was excited to read it as a fan of Nancy Pearl, librarian extraordinaire. Yet, the book was completely unexpected based on its description and whimsical cover art. Lizzie is an incredibly flawed character who makes choices the reader cannot understand or condone. Nonetheless, Pearl makes her likeable even when doing frustrating things that make no sense. You find yourself rooting for Lizzie to realize how good she really has it with George and to finally find a way beyond her troubling past. I wasn't sure about the book partway through, but I continued reading out of respect for the author and because all of the supporting characters were much more relatable than Lizzie herself. In the end, I liked the book, and it is one about which I will continue thinking. ( )
  Janine6877 | Oct 14, 2017 |
Nancy Pearl, originally a librarian by trade, has written a number of nonfiction books that help people decide what to read. And she is the host of a television show, Book Lust with Nancy Pearl, where she interviews writers, and discusses their books with them. Now she has written her own novel. And it is not about the life of a librarian. Not even close!
By the looks of the front cover, you might think that the book is about a woman who had a whole lot of boyfriends. But you would be wrong. Lizzie, the main character in the book had only one true love in her life. And he left her and never came back.
The name of her true love is one of the names on the front cover of the book. But it isn't George. George was just the name of the guy that she married.
As for Maverick, Loren, Ranger, and all but one of the others, they were members of Lizzie's high school football team. They were part of the Great Game Lizzie played during her senior year in high school, a game she replayed in her mind for years on end....
http://www.moibibliomaniac.com/2017/10/george-lizzie-novel-by-nancy-pearl.html ( )
  moibibliomaniac | Oct 14, 2017 |
I must admit that I was almost immediately turned off on the character of Lizzie---I agreed with her friend, Andrea---the Great Game idea was nuts! And the fact that the author had to keep bringing in descriptions of all of the players Lizzie slept with and what became of them---I kind of groaned each time another description appeared in the story. Jack's part was the almost ruination of Lizzie's marriage and maybe well-deserved. Her obsession with him, especially with the overwhelmingly wonderful description of her husband, George, made the marriage seem.....sad? Worthless? Lizzie was just not a character I could appreciate and I found it a little hard to believe that George could be so completely besotted over her, given all of her issues, which he listed! Yes, complete sympathy for her parenthood but the result? Is it all solved at the very last sentence in the book?

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Touchstone. ( )
  nyiper | Oct 9, 2017 |
I really can't recommend George and Lizzie by Nancy Pearl.
George and Lizzie are a mismatched couple in an unlikely relationship. George is a dentist who grew up in a warm and loving family. "Lizzie grew up as the only child of two famous psychologists, who viewed her more as an in-house experiment than a child to love." In their marriage George is happy; Lizzie isn't.
All I can say is: Run George, run!
George is a genuinely nice man. Lizzie is genuinely not a nice woman, or even remotely sympathetic.

Pearl lost me right at the beginning with Lizzie planning The Great Game, where the "game" is to have sex with all 23 starters of her high school football team, one per week. There is no explanation as to why, other than she and a friend thought it would be a "fun" game. The very next day the friend retracts her support and tells Lizzie not to do it, that it isn't a good idea, but Lizzie does it anyway. The secret shame of her actions follows her throughout the book. Setting the "game" aside, George and Lizzie just isn't a very good story or a well-written novel. The plot jumps all over the place, with characters introduced and then abandoned, and interruptions in the story about the football players. It was hard to finish this one, which is never a good sign. I should have abandoned it early on.

Disclosure: My review copy was courtesy of Touchstone.
http://www.shetreadssoftly.com/2017/10/george-and-lizzie.html ( )
  SheTreadsSoftly | Oct 4, 2017 |
As a public librarian, Nancy Pearl is, of course, my hero (yes, I have the Nancy Pearl action figure). Nobody does reader's advisory like Nancy Pearl does reader's advisory! So when I heard she wrote a book, I naturally wanted to read it right away. At the same, I was a little apprehensive, because knowing what goes into a good book doesn't necessarily mean that you can write a good book. I needn't have worried.

Although the book is called George & Lizzie, this is really Lizzie's story. One is tempted to say that she was raised by wolves, but of course that's not true. She was really raised by behavioral psychologists, who treated her every action as an idea for further research. Predictably, she acts out by doing some, shall we say, less-than-socially-acceptable things. These things have repercussions, of course, in her later relationships, but we can't help loving Lizzie, even while she does everything possible to sabotage her own life and happiness.

Then comes George. We learn enough about George's childhood and family to make him a believable character, but since the book still focuses more on Lizzie, the real question is whether she can get over herself long enough to actually make a positive long-lasting relationship with George. There were a few plot points that I couldn't quite suss out (including the somewhat important point of why Lizzie agreed to marry George in the first place when she was still obsessed (yes, obsessed) with someone else), but those confusions were easily overcome in the excellent writing that continued to pull me forward.

And pulled forward I was, right up until the very natural and well-done ending. Pearl never takes the easy road with her characters, and the whole book moves along without ever giving the reader the feeling that the whole thing is just one big contrivance. Brava to Mrs. Pearl for making the leap from reader to author. I look forward to reading more. ( )
  mzonderm | Oct 2, 2017 |
To my husband Joe, who makes my life possible and without whom this novel wouldn't exist. Fifty-one years and counting!
The night Lizzie and George met-- it was at the Bowlarama  way out on Washtenaw-- she was flying high on some awfully good weed because her heart was broken.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,520,025 books! | Top bar: Always visible