George & Lizzie by Nancy Pearl

George & Lizzie

by Nancy Pearl

16619112,667 (3.33)6
"George and Lizzie have radically different understandings of what love and marriage should be. George grew up in a warm and loving family--his father an orthodontist, his mother a stay-at-home mom--while Lizzie grew up as the only child of two famous psychologists, who viewed her more as an in-house experiment than a child to love. Over the course of their marriage, nothing has changed--George is happy; Lizzie remains ... unfulfilled. When a shameful secret from Lizzie's past resurfaces, she'll need to face her fears in order to accept the true nature of the relationship she and George have built over a decade together. With pitch-perfect prose and compassion and humor to spare, George and Lizzie is an intimate story of new and past loves, the scars of childhood, and an imperfect marriage at its defining moments"--… (more)

Nancy Pearl saved my life. Actually, Nancy Pearl’s “Rule of Fifty” saved my reading life - on many occasions. I owe her a lot. Her rule liberated me and allowed me to see that reading is for enjoyment and although sometimes you have to work at something before you find the enjoyment, if you keep on working and enjoyment isn’t coming, then maybe you’re on the wrong track. And what’s more, the older you get, the more important it is that you don’t waste your precious remaining time on earth. That said, when I discovered Nancy Pearl’s first novel on the shelf of my local library, I wanted to read it but was determined that I would apply the “Rule of Fifty” without fear or favour. I read one reviewer who wrote that Pearl’s character Lizzie was just too quirky and the reader had regretfully cut her reading short at around page 50. In the early stages of this book I was wondering whether I’d be following that track myself. I was prepared, however, to cut Nancy a little more slack than her own rule provided, because I wanted to be absolutely sure that I’d given this demi-god of reading a fair run. I needn’t have worried, however, as the book rapidly improved for me and before I knew it I’d covered a hundred pages and was really looking forward to the remainder. I loved the basic idea of the story - the idea that Lizzie commits to something (The Great Game, in which she has sex with all 23 members of a football team) which she initially thinks will be ‘fun’ but later hugely regrets, and then is faced with the question: to whom can or should she reveal her ‘bad’ behaviour? Can she risk loss of a relationship by revealing her true self? Sure, Lizzie is quirky, as indeed are almost all the characters. These characters are interesting and funny because in each character there’s an element that we could recognise in people we know: the work-oriented parent whose child-rearing is arguably negligent; academics whose work is respected but who you wouldn’t want to spend time with; the rude and obnoxious relative; the sport obsessed man; the loving and accepting mother-in-law; nominally Jewish people who observe Christmas etc. So I did like the book, despite recognising that it’s not a book for everyone (I’m thinking of many religious people who might be uncomfortable with some anti-religious sentiment, not to mention Lizzie’s sexual adventures and her whole approach to and language about sex). It’s not, however, the perfect book for me. Even though I enjoyed it, the tone is undeniably light-hearted and I’m more of a serious sort of person. If a book blurb describes it as “hilarious” I place it straight back on the shelf. Blurb writers for ‘George and Lizzie’ use the word “witty” - along with “wise”, and that’s a very different prospect than “hilarious”. The combination of humour and serious issues that Nancy Pearl has put together in this novel worked well for me, even though my first choice would be to not have the witty component. Maybe it could have been a little less 'romantic' too, although this certainly isn't a book I'd put in the 'romance' category. But perhaps the book’s biggest achievement - and one that clearly could only be achieved by someone with Nancy Pearl’s wonderful understanding of people and their relation to literature - is that she made me want to read poetry! Me!! A person who usually hates books written by poet-authors and who tends to regard the discussion of poetry as high-brow, esoteric and elitist. Thank you Nancy. Thanks for everything. ( )
  oldblack | Oct 27, 2019 |
A story about a girl who seems to be on a self-destructive course, even after a happy marriage. ( )
  rolnickj | Jan 13, 2019 |
An interesting first novel from a book expert who is one of the most charming, intelligent, and inspiring people you'd ever hope to meet. A quirky main character (Lizzie), along with some improbable high school sexual baggage ("The Game"), and "the one that got away" (Jack), will keep you guessing as to how this one will end. (Brian) ( )
  ShawIslandLibrary | Jun 30, 2018 |
More like a 3.5, but I'm rounding up. I had some problems with it-do we still need to write female protagonists who get hung up on sex? Why? Why does this still need to be a thing? And George was a little too perfect for my taste, but overall I really enjoyed this. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
No rating or review, because I couldn't get past the first third of the book. The fairly non-existent plot, and the annoyingly quirky characters, left me cold.
  meredk | Feb 4, 2018 |
To my husband Joe, who makes my life possible and without whom this novel wouldn't exist. Fifty-one years and counting!
The night Lizzie and George met-- it was at the Bowlarama  way out on Washtenaw-- she was flying high on some awfully good weed because her heart was broken.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,637,076 books! | Top bar: Always visible