Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Les Misérables (1862)

by Victor Hugo

Other authors: Pierre de Beaumont (Author), Norman Denny (Translator), Charles Keeping (Illustrator), Manuel Serdav (Translator)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (CorinneT)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
Romans (19)
Elevenses (151)

English (205)  French (5)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Italian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Finnish (1)  Piratical (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (224)
I usually love 19th century novels and their length never bothers me, but this novel was just too long and slow. Hugo takes too long to get to his point. Maybe I just do not have patience for the 10 pages filled with pseudo-philisophical musings that accompany every chapter. Eliot does the same thing in Middlemarch, but at a certain point the plot takes over, letting us see the progress (or lack thereof) of the characters as opposed to being told. ( )
  Sareene | Oct 22, 2016 |
First read: January 2016
Re-read: September-October 2016

Just finished re-reading this beauty at 6:14 am today and, boy, do I like this book. It's certainly not one of those books you can sit down and read in a day (and, if you can, please, PLEASE show me your ways!), but I managed to slip a couple of pages here and there since the beginning of classes and I just...

Great read, great musical, great story.
Give it a chance.

And to people who say this book has no relevance now because time has changed...
  LiindaSnow97 | Oct 22, 2016 |
I thought it would take all summer to read, but it moves surprisingly fast. However, there were some parts that I skimmed pretty quickly - Waterloo, a description of the sewers of Paris and some things like that. But a very enjoyable and moving book. This would make a pretty good musical! ( )
  Luke_Brown | Sep 10, 2016 |
I won't even lie, this book took me 3-4 months to read? I did put it down a lot, but I always picked it up again.

Having said that, this book is probably one of the most rewarding books I've ever read. This book left one of the greatest impressions on me. I don't usually have 'favourite' books - I can't pick one book to end all books, but when I think about the books that affected me most, this book comes out on top.

I read the unabridged version of this book and I have to say it did take me quite a while to get used to Victor Hugo's writing style. He will build a world meticulously, talking of a village and its history, building it brick by brick. Nothing will happen, and as a reader, I would often drown in the details.

Then, suddenly, a character enters the scene and so much happens in 20 pages that I can't even look up because the plot grips me so much. World-building aside, I adored a lot of Victor Hugo's characters.

Jean Valjean, Javert and a couple of other characters all have very distinct character arcs and it's wonderful to watch them transform.

This book has one of the strongest and most resonant voices I've ever read. It talks about class, about judging people prematurely, about compassion, about love, about how a person's past is always their future. These are all still very relevant ideas and so it's not as antiquated as you might think.

Fair warning, though - this book will make you cry. I cried for the last 100 pages or so. (I suppose it is called 'The Miserable', which is sort of indicative and warning enough - but still.)

This book does a really brilliant job of finishing the plot into a nice little dovetail, which I really appreciated. And afterwards I wondered how one man could write a book like that, and what an incredible feat it must've been. ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
I had to re-read Les Miserables. I fell in love with the story on the first read, but not the language. Having seen a few adaptations on stage and screen in the few years since my first read of the book, it has not lost any of its original appeal but I noticed that in all the adaptations I was drawn to Javert almost more than to Valjean. So, it was time to rediscover the original characters from the book... I still don't find the language used adequately telling the story - but maybe that's a translation issue. (And yeah, Javert is still the character that intrigues me most.) ( )
  BrokenTune | Aug 21, 2016 |

Is contained in

Is a retelling of

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book by Victor Hugo or one of its (movie) adaptations, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.
Florence Hapgood is a translator, not the original author of this work. The original author is Victor Hugo. If you have Florence Hapgood as the author, please substitute Hugo and put her down as a translator. Thank you.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!
A fugitive man
gets a new name and new life.
He adopts a girl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102758, 1400109000

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,776,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible