Les Misérables by Victor Hugo

Les Misérables (original 1862; edition 2010)

by Victor Hugo

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.
Member:jjmcgaffey
Title:Les Misérables
Authors:Victor Hugo
Info:Public Domain Books
Collections:ebooks, Working on
Tags:Fic, FicGen, !Amazon, __make_cover, _import140303

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (CorinneT)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
Elevenses (178)
Europe (11)
Romans (19)

English (234)  French (8)  Spanish (6)  Italian (3)  Norwegian (2)  Finnish (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (260)
“Citizens, the nineteenth century is great, but the twentieth century will be happy. Then, there will be nothing more like the history of old,
we shall no longer, as to-day, have to fear a conquest, an invasion, a usurpation, a rivalry of nations, arms in hand, an interruption of
civilization depending on a marriage of kings, on a birth in hereditary tyrannies, a partition of peoples by a congress, a dismemberment because
of the failure of a dynasty, a combat of two religions meeting face to face, like two bucks in the dark, on the bridge of the infinite; we
shall no longer have to fear famine, farming out, prostitution arising from distress, misery from the failure of work and the scaffold and the
sword, and battles and the ruffianism of chance in the forest of events. One might almost say: There will be no more events. We shall be happy.”

Oh boy, did he get that wrong...

Last year, quite unintentionally, the majority of the classics I read were Russian. This year, equally without intent, it seems they are French. Where my reading last year culminated in War and Peace, I guess it was only fitting that this year I worked my way to Les Misérables.
While I'd read and enjoyed The Hunchback of Notre-Dame as a teenager, Les Mis had until now eluded me. But my recent devouring of The Count of Monte Cristo (In only three weeks, I might add!), left me with a hankering for similar epic, and Les Mis seemed the obvious choice.
I enjoyed it, though not as much as Monte Cristo. Hugo has a tendency to waffle on and go off on tangents, and never more so than here. Although said tangents are usually interesting, they do little to nothing to further the story, and bring the pace to a grinding halt. I think I would personally have preferred them as a separate non-fiction outing (such as the many chapters on Waterloo, or the sewer system of Paris), so the pacing of the novel would have been more even.

The writing however is stellar, and the plot engaging throughout, so I'd give it a solid 3 1/2 stars. ( )
  Sammystarbuck | Sep 2, 2019 |
4 stelle perché... nonostante la trama molto bella e intrigante, certi capitoli proprio non si possono leggere, pena la noia assoluta. Personalmente ho dovuto saltare qualche pagina, ma non mi sento in colpa per questo.
  elerwen | May 29, 2019 |
Phew - this was a long one. I downloaded a French edition to an e-reader and read it on the T. Hugo loves to digress and I found myself zoning out on the long descriptions of Waterloo and such. The man did love his language though and there are some great passages and lots of interesting words that the weak French/English dictionary installed on the reader couldn't handle. Who knew there were so many French words for hovel? The best parts of course were the adventures of Jean Valjean, the badass ex-prisoner who knew how to escape and be a loving father to the orphan Cosette. ( )
  cindywho | May 27, 2019 |
A masterpiece!

Though not flawless Les Misérables earns its five-star rating through and through. The characters are unforgettable, the plot easily digestible and the romanticism palatable. Still relevant, though a little dated, Les Misérables stands tall.

Hats off. ( )
  DanielSTJ | May 5, 2019 |
The guilty one is not he who commits the sin, but he who causes the darkness.

It will always be Belmondo when I think of Jean Valjean in that wonky adaptation I saw at the Vogue back in the 90s. The film affected me deeply, thinking about the Occupation and questions of race and justice; the Willa Cather quote which surfaces a number of times. Beyond all that, the smoldering desire to read the novel was forged and eventually realized. I read Les Miserables here and there, with airports occupying a great deal of the effort. One drunken night in New Orleans the following year I spied someone in a pub reading the novel with obvious pleasure. I wished the man well and tripped out into the balmy night. ( )
  jonfaith | Feb 22, 2019 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Has as a teacher's guide

Solange kraft der Gesetze und Sitten eine soziale Verdammnis existiert, die auf künstlichem Weg, inmitten einer hoch entwickelten Zivilisation, Höllen schafft und noch ein von Menschen gewolltes Fatum zu dem Schicksal, das von Gott kommt, hinzufügt ;
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
So long as there shall exist, by virtue of law and custom, decrees of damnation pronounced by society, artificially creating hells amid the civilization of the earth, and adding the element of human fate to divine destiny; so long as the three great problems of the century - the degradation of man through pauperism, the corruption of woman through hunger, the crippling of children through lack of light - are unsolved; so long as social asphyxia is possible in any part of the world - in other words, and with a still wider significance, so long as ignorance and poverty exist on earth, books of the nature of Les Miserables cannot fail to be of use. (Preface)
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.

Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!
A fugitive man
gets a new name and new life.
He adopts a girl.

(marcusbrutus)

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102758, 1400109000

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,917,872 books! | Top bar: Always visible