Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Les Miserables (original 1862; edition 1987)

by Victor Hugo

Member:aballah
Title:Les Miserables
Authors:Victor Hugo
Info:Signet Classics (1987), Paperback, 1463 pages
Collections:Your library, On loan

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

1001 (74) 1001 books (53) 19th century (324) classic (667) classic fiction (57) Classic Literature (77) classics (608) ebook (77) fiction (1,642) France (537) French (442) French fiction (50) French literature (477) French Revolution (216) historical (79) historical fiction (266) history (81) Hugo (61) Kindle (81) literature (464) novel (274) own (92) Paris (122) poverty (69) read (146) revolution (104) to-read (369) translation (82) unread (114) Victor Hugo (80)
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)

English (159)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (174)
One of the best novels ever written. Hugo is sensational. Do not confuse the musical (although excellent) with the book. The book is far better. ( )
  JVioland | Jul 14, 2014 |
Great book, but man it was long. ( )
  William-Tucker | Jun 29, 2014 |
Not since The Poisonwood Bible has a book moved me and had such a complete impact on my soul. For years I had watched the musical and that was enough for me. Thanks to my group Who Doesn't Love a Classic? which has this for their year read this year, I would have never picked up this gem.

Now I see that I have only witnessed half the story and found myself reading for eight, nine hours at a time. It was the first thing I picked up in the morning and the last thing I put down at night. I longed to know more about M. Bienvenu and with each page I had a greater respect for him. I mourned with Jean Valjean when he passed.

Throughout the book is the constant reminder of redemption throughout the book. That is, except for the Thenardiers. Never have I loathed two people more in literature (perhaps I will change my mind when I read Dickens). They had zero redeeming qualities. While the musical may make them the comic relief, there is nothing comical about them in the book.

This took me almost three weeks to read and while I had been intimidated to read such a lengthy book, I found the language glorious and if it were not for sleep, I may have read this quicker.

I'm sure at the time this was written, the scenes of Waterloo and the sewer system was interesting. I must admit though, fifty pages describing the sewer system made me want to take a hot shower and stay there. I'm not interested all that much in the Napoleonic Wars and therefore didn't have a lot of interest in the pages and pages of Waterloo.

One of the best books I have ever read. ( )
1 vote allgenresbookworm | Jun 24, 2014 |
Um...amazing! I think that says it all! ( )
  Michelle0523 | Jun 18, 2014 |
The story of Jean Valjean is awesome with many good lessons. My complaint is the author's liking for going on and on and on about things that did nothing to add to or advance the story. I would have preferred a different ending, but can see that the one he chose is fitting. ( )
  jak910717 | May 25, 2014 |

Victor Hugoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bayard, Emile AntoineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denny, NormanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hapgood, Isabel FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents single-volume editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:12 -0400)

A complete, vivid picture of France at the beginning of the nineteenth century with unforgettable descriptions of the Paris sewers, the battle of Wterloo and the fighting at the barricades during the July Revolution.

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,500,829 books! | Top bar: Always visible