Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics)…

Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics) (original 1862; edition 2012)

by Victor Hugo, Coralie Bickford-Smith (Illustrator), Christine Donougher (Translator)

Member:TheLostEntwife
Title:Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics)
Authors:Victor Hugo
Other authors:Coralie Bickford-Smith (Illustrator), Christine Donougher (Translator)
Info:Penguin Classics Hardcover (2012), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 1232 pages
Collections:2012 Reads
Rating:*****

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (Author) (1862)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Léon Tolstoï (chrisharpe)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
Unread books (1,201)
Romans (19)

English (164)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Finnish (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (178)
My preferred book and author. Victor Hugo managed to create strong and universal characters (Jean Valjean, Javert, Bishop Myriel) who remain faithful to their values and principles of life, even during hard times. I think, personnally, that you can only see the true caracter of someone in hard times. That is what happened to Victor Hugo in his personal life, even if he was chased from France, he did not give up and continue his mission from Guernesey.

Victor Hugo, who can first see things from Jean Valjean's point of view, i.e, why he steals and thinks his actions are justified; and then Victor Hugo can rise above all crimes, to create a character like The Bishop who, by his actions of generosity alone and no blah-blah of moral lessons, shows Jean Valjean a fresh light of what's right, an action so powerful that it ultimately forces Jean Valjean to give up his crime and care for the humanity.

This is inspiring to me when an author manage to rise above the bad to make some good. He was right when he said 'what a writer writes truly reflects his or her soul'. Where are the authors like Victor Hugo today? ( )
  CorinneT | May 16, 2015 |
It's long but well worth the read. I consider this my favorite classic novel. ( )
  RBeene | Mar 17, 2015 |
I didn't realize I was listening to the abridged version of the book until I saw that the page number was supposed to be over a thousand pages, which would have been impossible in a audiobook of 13 hours. Once again I have been mislead - the first time when I read The Count of Monte Cristo abridged. And yet I did not feel as if I were missing pieces of the story. Perhaps because I went into this having seen the movie adaption and the musical play? I'm not sure I have the patience to go through another 700 pages of Hugo, to tell the truth, but I've heard the experience of the unabridged book is wonderful. I will take everyone's word on it. I haven't decided if I like the book as much as I do because I loved the play and movie first or not but regardless this is a classic I enjoyed reading. There's a charm to watching Jean-Valjean redeem himself but yet is always just human in his emotions. ( )
  Kassilem | Feb 17, 2015 |
Victor Hugo describes in this book criticizes social injustice in France
Showing the novel nature of good and evil and the law in the breathtaking story of the Paris landmarks show, ethics, philosophy, law, justice, religion and the nature of romantic and familial love.
Les Miserables great novel because Victor Hugo was a romantic at heart, and the book is filled with moments of great poetry and beauty. The depth of the internal vision and the fact that made him a classic for Aihddh time, one of the great works in Western literature even today after 150 years of writing, the book remains a powerful story of Les Miserables . ( )
  faith93 | Dec 25, 2014 |
I know this is a classic, but I just couldn't get into it. I found it terribly boring, and I gave it a good try--about ten chapters. I simply couldn't make myself care. Major blah.

Added a "gave-up-on" shelf to put this book on. ( )
  trayceetee | Nov 15, 2014 |

Is contained in

Contains

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
Florence Hapgood is a translator, not the original author of this work. The original author is Victor Hugo. If you have Florence Hapgood as the author, please substitute Hugo and put her down as a translator. Thank you.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:12 -0400)

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 97,146,736 books! | Top bar: Always visible