Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics)…

Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics) (original 1862; edition 2012)

by Victor Hugo, Coralie Bickford-Smith (Illustrator), Christine Donougher (Translator)

13,690None151 (4.29)736
Member:TheLostEntwife
Title:Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics)
Authors:Victor Hugo
Other authors:Coralie Bickford-Smith (Illustrator), Christine Donougher (Translator)
Info:Penguin Classics Hardcover (2012), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 1232 pages
Collections:2012 Reads
Rating:*****

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

1001 (73) 1001 books (52) 19th century (321) classic (659) classic fiction (57) Classic Literature (76) classics (600) ebook (75) fiction (1,616) France (524) French (436) French literature (472) French Revolution (211) historical (76) historical fiction (262) history (78) Hugo (61) Kindle (82) literature (459) novel (265) own (91) Paris (121) poverty (69) read (144) revolution (104) romance (51) to-read (333) translation (82) unread (114) Victor Hugo (78)
    The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)

English (154)  French (3)  Norwegian (2)  Spanish (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  All languages (168)
Does anyone know who's the translator of this excellent version? Appears to be a reproduction of an early British or American edition - how annoying that the publisher tells us nothing! ( )
  NaggedMan | Apr 4, 2014 |
You thought I'd given up. You thought I'd forgotten.

Nope. I pushed my way through this beast and now it's done. Another book checked off the bucket list. I -hated- most of this book. The only interesting characters were Jean val Jean and Eponnie. (I don't even care enough to check the spelling of the character's names.)

It goes on and on and on. Hugo forever pontificates on undoubtedly important and interesting subjects -- but he goes on so long and gets so abstract that it renders his points moot.

It only gets the second star because of the successful and awesome film and stage adaptations. ( )
  steadfastreader | Mar 18, 2014 |
Finally. This is a really BIG novel to tackle but really really worth it. Its like a Pinoy telanovela wherein the characters world are so small that their fate would meet most of the time. I love it because its soooo long that you would definitely love the characters especially Marius, Jean Valjean, Eponine (yes, Eponine!), Gavroche and Cossette. However, some parts are really boring such as Waterloo story, story about the bishop, Hugo's opinion about convents and sewers. I can't help but fall asleep during those parts. But you definitely have to go through with it since they're connected to the story.

A must-read classic :) ( )
  krizia_lazaro | Mar 10, 2014 |
A work of pure genius. I recommend it to only the most passionate readers. It is not for the faint of heart. It took me nearly six months to power through the 1400+ pages, however the feeling I got upon actually finishing it was well worth it. ( )
  mlyons1 | Feb 12, 2014 |
I'm finished. I actually finished.
Oh my lord this book is amazing and I am so grateful I decided to read it even though I nearly threw up when I saw the pages.
It was wonderful. Such a mix of emotions. I wish all my friends could read it just so they could understand how I'm feeling right now. I cried but I was happy. The ending was beautiful, especially that passage written on the tomb.
I think I may have highlighted this book to death but that's okay.
Hugo is a genius. This is a literary masterpiece. I fell in love with every word.
It may have been a big book to read but finishing it just feels amazing. It probably isn't a book I'm going to reread often but sometime in my life I want to read this again.
I am in love and to finish this book and to not be reading it anymore is almost sad.
I can't say enough for les Miserables just that if you can read it, READ IT. ( )
  bethie-paige | Jan 29, 2014 |

Victor Hugoprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Bayard, Emile AntoineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Denny, NormanTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hapgood, Isabel FlorenceTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents single-volume editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:38:12 -0400)

A complete, vivid picture of France at the beginning of the nineteenth century with unforgettable descriptions of the Paris sewers, the battle of Wterloo and the fighting at the barricades during the July Revolution.

Ten editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Three editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,425,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible