Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics)…

Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics) (original 1862; edition 2012)

by Victor Hugo, Coralie Bickford-Smith (Illustrator), Christine Donougher (Translator)

15,050193128 (4.28)807
Title:Les Miserables (Penguin Hardback Classics)
Authors:Victor Hugo
Other authors:Coralie Bickford-Smith (Illustrator), Christine Donougher (Translator)
Info:Penguin Classics Hardcover (2012), Edition: Reprint, Hardcover, 1232 pages
Collections:2012 Reads

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (CorinneT)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
Romans (19)

English (177)  French (4)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (193)
I watched the movie with my wife when it came out at the end of last year and loved it. Then we went to a community production and it was enjoyable. I was really curious about a lot of things that didn't quite connect in the musical/movie and I loved the story so I decided to read the book. I actually listened to the audiobook version of this translation (Julie Rose). It was very enjoyable.

This is my favorite piece of literature that I have ever read (albeit I mostly read nonfiction). It is intriguing and smart, yet entertaining. This book has changed my perspective on life, in at least some small ways.

The musical does a good job in summarizing the story but to see the characters motivations and personalities is a real prize that comes through only in the book. ( )
1 vote JaredChristopherson | Nov 16, 2015 |
Certainly one of the greatest things ever written. ( )
1 vote Michael.Xolotl | Nov 11, 2015 |
This book is a masterpiece.
It is an incredible story of temptations, redemptions, evil, love; it describes how miserable
life in that era of France was for the common people.
A story about real life, with fictional characters creating real people, and the social perspective is as true today as it was in the past. ( )
  Haidji | Nov 4, 2015 |

I first read this I think in 1988 or 1989, in my last year as an undergraduate, in an ancient and not terribly fluent ten-volume translation which I checked out one by one from the Union Society's library; and around the same time I fell in love with the stage musical, which I managed to see in the summer of 1989. A quarter of a century later, the political and romantic plot lines resonate if anything more deeply now that I have lived and loved a bit longer. And Christine Donougher's Penguin translation seems a real step forward - especially with the footnotes and endnotes conveniently arranged in the Kindle edition.

It's a long book but a great one. In reality the 1832 Paris rebellion was probably the least distinguished of many such efforts in the nineteenth century; but Hugo turns it into a real occasion of heroism and challenge, yet in itself insufficiently linked to the real human dramas going on beneath the surface. Yes, there are mad digressions (the section on slang could be easily dispensed with); yes, the romance between Marius and Cosette is basically between the two least interesting of the major characters; but there is a tremendous passion for shaking the middle-class readership out of their complacency and complicity combined with a humanity that Dickens often blunts with mockery. The stage show dispenses with the two younger Thénardier boys, and with Marius' grandfather, but I think they are crucial to the big picture that Hugo is painting.

Go get it, especially in the Christine Donougher translation. ( )
1 vote nwhyte | Nov 1, 2015 |
I'm finished. I actually finished.
Oh my lord this book is amazing and I am so grateful I decided to read it even though I nearly threw up when I saw the pages.
It was wonderful. Such a mix of emotions. I wish all my friends could read it just so they could understand how I'm feeling right now. I cried but I was happy. The ending was beautiful, especially that passage written on the tomb.
I think I may have highlighted this book to death but that's okay.
Hugo is a genius. This is a literary masterpiece. I fell in love with every word.
It may have been a big book to read but finishing it just feels amazing. It probably isn't a book I'm going to reread often but sometime in my life I want to read this again.
I am in love and to finish this book and to not be reading it anymore is almost sad.
I can't say enough for les Miserables just that if you can read it, READ IT. ( )
1 vote ebethiepaige | Oct 20, 2015 |

Is contained in

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Has as a student's study guide

Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
Florence Hapgood is a translator, not the original author of this work. The original author is Victor Hugo. If you have Florence Hapgood as the author, please substitute Hugo and put her down as a translator. Thank you.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!
A fugitive man
gets a new name and new life.
He adopts a girl.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102758, 1400109000

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,964,907 books! | Top bar: Always visible