Les Misérables (Signet Classics) by…

Les Misérables (Signet Classics) (original 1862; edition 1987)

by Victor Hugo, Lee Fahnestock (Translator), Norman MacAfee (Translator)

Member:deferredreward
Title:Les Misérables (Signet Classics)
Authors:Victor Hugo
Other authors:Lee Fahnestock (Translator), Norman MacAfee (Translator)
Info:Signet Classics (1987), Edition: Unabridged Version, Mass Market Paperback, 1488 pages
Rating:***1/2

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (CorinneT)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
Romans (19)

English (171)  French (3)  Spanish (3)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Portuguese (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Piratical (1)  Finnish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (186)
First of all, I wish that I had read the abridged version of this book. (Sorry, Rachel) But I think I may have given it five stars if I had read the abridged version. I really loved the story about Jean Valjean, and there were so many beautiful moments of humanity, forgiveness, redemption, etc. I shed tears at several points.

I just had a really hard time getting through some of the other parts. I'm not that interested in the political or societal history of France, so some of those long explanations of battles or neighborhoods of France just entirely bored me and made it harder to get into some of the other parts. ( )
  klburnside | Aug 11, 2015 |
this is the first book i absolutely and completely fell for. i was 15-16 at the time and it broke my heart completely. i've read a few different editions (though my french never progressed to read it untranslated) but none compared to that first very old, plain black book from the library. ( )
  mkclane | Jul 31, 2015 |
I always remember cursing Hugo for the last eight pages when I knew he was putting on the emotional tourniquet but I had to cry anyway. I am still not utterly convinced of the suicide element and I think Cosette was awful just dumping Val Jean after he had been a father to her, but I suppose Hugo knew how people are.

I read this long before the musical which is nothing like this book. The huge introspection, the brilliant 100 pages on the priest at the beginning who does one thing and on thing only to change Val Jean's life. The unremitting unfairness of it all, the weariness of a society of animals pretending to be rational for its own sake and not for the sake of their inescapable natures.

Daniel_Nanavati | Jul 19, 2015 |
A masterpiece marred by unnecessary digression ( )
  Mohamed80 | Jul 11, 2015 |
I blame my dad.

He's been playing that Thenardier character, singing 'Master of the house' for more than two years now.

And today, he made us watch The 25th Anniversary Concert of Les Misérables (spoiler alert: IT'S FREAKING AMAZING) , so...I HAVE to read the book.
  LaMala | Jun 7, 2015 |

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
Florence Hapgood is a translator, not the original author of this work. The original author is Victor Hugo. If you have Florence Hapgood as the author, please substitute Hugo and put her down as a translator. Thank you.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!
A fugitive man
gets a new name and new life.
He adopts a girl. (marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102758, 1400109000

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,044,231 books! | Top bar: Always visible