Les Miserables, Two Volumes by Victor; Denny…

Les Miserables, Two Volumes (original 1862; edition 1976)

by Victor; Denny Hugo, Norman (trans), Charles Keeping (Illustrator)

Member:SirFolio16
Title:Les Miserables, Two Volumes
Authors:Victor; Denny Hugo, Norman (trans)
Other authors:Charles Keeping (Illustrator)
Info:The Folio Press (1976), Hardcover
Collections:Hugo, Folio Press
Rating:*****
Tags:Folio Press

Les Misérables by Victor Hugo (1862)

The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas père (VictoriaPL)
    Silas Marner by George Eliot (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both great classics, with orphaned girls and themes of redemption.
    War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy (chrisharpe)
    The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: As much a story about the trials of individuals as a sweeping portrait and critique of an era.
    The Mayor of Casterbridge by Thomas Hardy (ncgraham)
    ncgraham: Both stories of men who commit public crimes ... and yet the outcomes are very different.
    The Life of Lazarillo de Tormes by Anonymous (albavirtual)
    The Man Who Laughs by Victor Hugo (raton-liseur)
    raton-liseur: Des thèmes similaires, dans une prose étourdissante et avec une ironie mordante.
    The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo (CorinneT)
    Doctor Thorne by Anthony Trollope (morryb)
    morryb: Both speak to the struggle of adopting a child and then letting them up later.
    Island Beneath the Sea by Isabel Allende (CGlanovsky)
    CGlanovsky: Cast of interconnected characters are subjected to historical pressures through years-worth of events surrounding a revolution. Issues of paternity and social justice.
    The Betrothed by Alessandro Manzoni (chrisharpe)
    Barnaby Rudge by Charles Dickens (morryb)
    morryb: Both have a main character who adopts a daughter and the struggle of letting her go.
Romans (19)

English (198)  French (4)  Spanish (4)  Norwegian (2)  Dutch (2)  Finnish (1)  Portuguese (1)  Aragonese Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (215)
Hard to capture briefly, a romance and a novel of human transformations from bad to good. A challenging read with digressions into French history, urban structure of Paris and justice. ( )
  kale.dyer | Jun 16, 2016 |
Yes I'm a glutton for punishment. I started listening to this last week before the PJC musical opened, in which I played Madame Thenardier. Partly because in some ways I'm OCD - I have to do everything I do all out, so I found I could not read anything other than something from this time period this last month. So why not just revisit the book? And partly because our Javert, mad scientist doctor Stephen Walter aka Walters, kept asking me esoteric questions I could not answer ( we've always competed for the prize of being the most well read Les Mis fan). So I found a short version to listen to. This one was only 12 hours long, and you'd be amazed how easy that goes by in the car or while doing chores at home.

Honestly, I was really unhappy with this version, because although it was abridged, it has great ratings, so I was surprised when huge important chunks were deleted. There is really nothing about Fantine, the rescue of Cosette, the students, the build up to the battle, and there's quite a bit of material that didn't seem necessary.

I finished it last night, and have to confess this delivers in the end. I told Walters that I had hard feelings for Marius when I originally read the book and with this short version I could still feel those feelings when he sends the beloved father away, but the ending was wonderful. I did not realize how much the final part of the musical comes directly out of their mouths, particularly the death scene which made me cry.

Bottom line: I only recommend this version for hardcore Les Mis fans who want a bit of a refresher and don't mind important chunks being left out. If you really don't know anything about the book, you'd probably be better off going with at least the 30 hour abridged version. Absolutely do not go for the 2 hour version. If you've only seen the musical, and you want to dig a little deeper, this version will be fine but you'll be sad about the lack of Fantine's story and little Cosette, and you won't gain an understanding about the student rebellion, although Eponine and Gavroche's deaths are exquisite. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
The best of the best. Hugo is amazing in his ability to see and explain our culture's influence on our lives, while also showing that we always have a choice about how we react to what happens to us. ( )
  sydsavvy | Apr 8, 2016 |
tried to read this once each year (over 1100 pages) and have not been successful - still own it, still love it - saw the play live in Toronto, stellar cast !! have not yet seen the musical film with Anne Hathaway and Hugh Jackman ...
  frahealee | Apr 3, 2016 |
Did I really just read 1200 pages of a book only to give it 3 stars? Apparently so. My thoughts:

- Unlike everyone else, I enjoyed the diversions. The story of Waterloo at the beginning of book 2 is one of the best bits. The sweep of history is this book's strength, but also its weakness. Everyone feels like a pawn in a overcooked plot, set against the backdrop of historical determinism.

- The characterisation in this book is profoundly weak. Over 1200 pages, only Valjean comes close to appearing actually human, rather than a cartoon, and even then not wholly so.

- Of the characters, perhaps only Fantine, Gavroche, Eponine, Javert, and a few others are actually interesting. The rest are either comically villainous (Thenadier et al) or dully virtuous (Valjean, Cosette, the bishop). Marius is a plot device, nothing else.

- Hugo manages to hold many divergent threads together quite well. Perhaps a little too well, relying on sometimes quite desperate narrative acrobatics to bring Thenadier and Valjean together again. Some of the happy coincidences (e.g. Fauchelevent and the convent) are too forced and absurd.

- I'm unsure if it's the translation, but there is some very clunky language employed in this book (I picked out the end of 3.III.ii as a particularly egregious example).

- Worse than the language is Hugo's contrived narrative style, which I confess I frequently found grating. Example: in the last chapter, Thenadier visits Marius dressed in disguise. Hugo gives us this scene by first introducing us to "the Changer", the "ingenious Jew" who disguises criminals for a living - twenty pages from the end of the novel... Not only does this throw off the pace and flow when the novel should be building to a conclusion, including this kind of detail doesn't add up to depth - and it just serves to highlight how insufficient Hugo made his main protagonists

- The main thrust of the novel is enjoyable, and the significant deaths genuinely moving. The over-sentimentality didn't bother me at all, although the over-moralisation did. "No writer enters a girl's bedchamber"? Well that's why Hugo isn't Dostoevsky.

- The musical adaptation retains a surprising fidelity to the book, that I wasn't expecting. I don't feel cheap in saying that the musical is worth most people's time, and subsequently reading the book is probably unnecessary. ( )
  sometimeunderwater | Mar 20, 2016 |

Contains

Is a retelling of

Has the (non-series) sequel

Has the adaptation

Is an abridged version of

Is abridged in

Inspired

Has as a student's study guide

Finchè esisterà, a causa delle leggi e dei costumi, una dannazione sociale che in piena civiltà crea artificialmente degli inferni, e aggiunge una fatalità umana al destino, che è divino; finchè i tre problemi del secolo, la degradazione dell'uomo nel proletariato, l'abbiezione della donna per fame, l'atrofia del fanciullo per tenebra, non saranno risolti; finchè, in certi settori, sarà possibile l'asfissia sociale; in altre parole, e da un punto di vista ancor più ampio, finchè esisteranno sulla terra ignoranza e miseria, libri di questa specie potranno non essere inutili.
In the Year 1815 Monseigneur Charles-François-Bienvenu Myriel was Bishop of Digne.
This work represents complete editions. Please do not combine with the first volume of multi-volume editions.
This "work" contains copies without enough information. The title might refer to the book by Victor Hugo or one of its (movie) adaptations, so this "work" should not be combined with any of them. If you are an owner of one of these copies, please add information such as author name or ISBN that can help identify its rightful home. After editing your copy, it might still need further separation and recombination work. Feel free to ask in the Combiners! group if you have questions or need help. Thanks.
Florence Hapgood is a translator, not the original author of this work. The original author is Victor Hugo. If you have Florence Hapgood as the author, please substitute Hugo and put her down as a translator. Thank you.
Ce prost sunt! îşi zise Jean Valjean. Nu-l remarcase încă şi i-l arăt chiar eu.
O, naivitate a bătrânilor! Înţelepciune a copiilor!
A fugitive man
gets a new name and new life.
He adopts a girl.

(marcusbrutus)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451525264, Mass Market Paperback)

Victor Hugo's towering novel of Jean Valjean, his unjust imprisonment, and his lifelong flight from a relentless police officer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:16 -0400)

Story of Valjean, the ex-convict who rises against all odds from galley slave to mayor, and the fanatical police inspector who dedicates his life to recapturing Valjean.

3 editions of this book were published by Penguin Australia.

Editions: 0140444300, 1846140498, 0141392606

HighBridge

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge.

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400102758, 1400109000

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,625,961 books! | Top bar: Always visible