The Great Alone: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

The Great Alone: A Novel (edition 2018)

by Kristin Hannah (Author)

Member:janna_voss
Title:The Great Alone: A Novel
Authors:Kristin Hannah (Author)
Info:St. Martin's Press (2018), Edition: First Edition, 448 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, Alaska, coming of age, PTSD, domestic violence

The Great Alone: A Novel by Kristin Hannah

English (119)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  All languages (121)
What a book! I loved it. Highly recommend. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
What a book! I loved it. Highly recommend. ( )
  deb.d | Jun 13, 2019 |
I have been trying to put my finger on what really bothered me the most about this story. It seems Hannah takes the same 'formula' she uses for her contemporary romance novels and inserts that into a historical time period and setting. I have read several of her contemporary novels and although I didn't love them, I didn't hate them either. For historical fiction, I have a completely different set of expectations. I have no interest in reading about clichéd characters and I do hope for some depth and accuracy in the historical details portrayed in the story. The two stars are solely for the opening chapters which seemed to be promising. It was downhill from there. Hannah occasionally inserts some lovely descriptive writing about the Alaskan landscape but beyond that, this book is just one huge soap opera. ( )
  This-n-That | Jun 7, 2019 |
A great novel. One of the best hat I have read in a long time. Dramatic, touches on many phases of life such as love, abuse, illness, loneliness, and grief. It was one of those books I could not put down and have recommended to others and is a good book for book clubs as it would generate much discussion. ( )
  jeanie0510 | May 25, 2019 |
When Leni's father returns from Vietnam, he has changed. He has sudden bursts of rage which make it difficult for him to hold a job and keeps both Leni and her mother constantly making sure they aren't doing anything that might set him off. So when he decides that they will pack up and move to a small, isolated community in Alaska, they both agree. Life on a farmstead in Alaska is hard, but Leni makes a friend in the only other child her age at the school and she grows to love Alaska. But as the years progress, her father's paranoia and extremism increase, alienating everyone they know and the long winter nights make his rages worse. But what can Leni do when her mother refuses to leave?

This is the first novel I've read by Kristen Hannah and, while it was fine, it will probably be the last. While the setting was wonderful, the secondary characters were reliably one-note and didn't change over the course of the novel. And there was so much drama. Just tons of it. And then there would be more. But I can see why this was a bestseller, I certainly kept turning the pages, long after I'd begun rolling my eyes with every new plot development. ( )
  RidgewayGirl | May 17, 2019 |

Kristin Hannahprimary authorall editionscalculated
Whelan, JuliaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Nature never deceives us; it is always we who deceive ourselves.
---JEAN-JACQUES ROUSSEAU
To the women in my family. All of them are warriors. Sharon, Debbie, Laura, Julie, Mackenzie, Sara, Kaylee, Toni, Jacquie, Dana, Leslie, Katie, Joan, Jerrie, Liz, Courtney, and Stephanie.

And to Braden, our newest adventurer.
That spring, rain fell in great sweeping gusts that rattled the rooftops.
"Alaska herself can be Sleeping Beauty one minute and a bitch with a sawed-off shotgun the next. There's a saying: Up here you can make one mistake. The second one will kill you."

Lenora Allbright is 13 when her father convinces her mother, Cora, to forgo their inauspicious existence in Seattle and move to Kaneq, AK. It's 1974, and the former Vietnam POW sees a better future away from the noise and nightmares that plague him. Having been left a homestead by a buddy who died in the war, Ernt is secure in his beliefs, but never was a family less prepared for the reality of Alaska, the long, cold winters and isolation. Locals want to help out, especially classmate Matthew Walker, who likes everything about Leni. Yet the harsh conditions bring out the worst in Ernt, whose paranoia takes over their lives and exacerbates what Leni sees as the toxic relationship between her parents. The Allbrights are as green as greenhorns can be, and even first love must endure unimaginable hardship and tragedy as the wilderness tries to claim more victims.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,694,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible