Mother Panic (Young Animal) Vol. 1: A Work…

Mother Panic (Young Animal) Vol. 1: A Work in Progress

by Jody Houser, Shawn Crystal (Illustrator), Tommy Lee Edwards (Illustrator)

Other authors: Phil Hester (Illustrator)

Series: Mother Panic (1-6), DC Young Animal, Batman

It's hard to call any of this wholly, or even partially, original... in many ways it steals directly from other bat-titles, and perhaps most of all from X-23's origin and other Marvel comics - but the (first part of the book's - see below) art is fantastic, the character design is slick, and the action is well-paced and well written.

It's a crying shame that Young Animals aren't getting the support from DC that gives any kind of confidence that these characters will be anything more than a blip on the radar, and a footnote in bat-history. We have too many bat-books, after all... half of DC is bat-books... but I like Mother Panic, and I'll keep an eye out for more (beyond the virtual dissolution of Young Animals in summer '18).

Caveat: the first three issues are beautiful - Tommy Lee Edwards illustrates them. It's a huge disappointment that they couldn't get his work into the book for the rest of the line. The second story, issues 4-6 are... sort of... illustrated - by Shawn Crystal. There is no comparison between either their styles or skill sets. Crystal is really not very good at this. Pages and pages go by w/o backgrounds - and he seems to be attempting some sort of cartoonish look that would be at home in a middle schooler's notebook margin doodles. ( )
  Ron18 | Feb 17, 2019 |
There was a lot going on in this TPB and so it took me awhile to get into who is who and what in the world is going on.

There was Violet aka Mother Panic who seems even more violent than usual for Gotham (and her costume was definitely unique). She seems to be going after those who are somehow affiliated with something called the Gather House.

Mother Panic also had a meeting on the Gotham rooftops with Batwoman that was tense, though I wasn't sure why it was Batwoman who did the meet and greet and not one of the other Bat Family members.

And then there was Violet's mother's storyline, which had some unique characters in it and I thought was the most interesting part of the TPB.

This was my first foray into the Young Animal imprint of DC Comics and it was definitely different.

I was given this galley through Netgalley on behalf of DC Entertainment. ( )
  DanieXJ | Jul 2, 2017 |
This is the second release from DC's new imprint "Young Animal". Described as between DCU and Vertigo, Mother Panic would actually be right at home in the Vertigo line too. Victoria Paige is a celebutant and a wicked vigilante. Her role is a female, 21st-century version of Batman and she is indeed also part of Batman's world as she has come to seek her own form of justice in his city, Gotham. Batman and Batwoman both show up briefly to keep an eye on this new suit. It's a very dark and strange story. I didn't have a clue exactly what was going on all the time and the characters are all new but the dark, gritty, violent atmosphere kept me interested and I'm ready to explore this new anti-hero further but would especially like it to keep up the cross-over into the Bat Family's world. ( )
  ElizaJane | Jun 20, 2017 |

Jody Houserprimary authorall editionscalculated
Crystal, ShawnIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Edwards, Tommy LeeIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Hester, PhilIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Panic on the streets of Gotham! The shadow of the Bat falls over all of Gotham City, from its dark alleys to its glittering high-rises. But a new vigilante has just stepped away from that shadow, and she has her own brand of violent retribution to deal out to the city's corrupt elites. Meet Violet Paige, a rich young celebutante with a bad attitude and a worse reputation. No one would ever suspect that this tabloid-fodder wild child has a secret hidden beneath her spoiled heiress exterior-- a secret that has driven her to become the terrifying force of vengeance against her privileged peers known as Mother Panic! But even as Violet launches her all-out assault on the rich and twisted, her shaky allies threaten to betray her, and every one of Gotham's guardians-- from Batwoman to the dark knight himself-- is hot on her trail. Will Mother Panic continue to strike terror into her enemies' hearts? Or will her violent quest for justice reach an equally violent end?" --

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,492,017 books! | Top bar: Always visible