Crazy Like a Fox: A Novel (Sister Jane) by…

Crazy Like a Fox: A Novel ("Sister" Jane)

by Rita Mae Brown

5119229,653 (3.68)3

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm so so so sorry it has taken so long to review this book, I can not locate the copy sent to me, I was able to find a copy at my locate library. So glad I did, it gives me a look inside of a world that is unfamiliar---fox hunting--- got lost once in a while, but a page or two later it became clear... well work your time. ( )
  JJKING | Mar 5, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as part of Early Reviewers program. I knew nothing about fox hunting before reading this book. The glossary and character lists were essential to helping me learn about this sport. The author provided lots of background information to assist the reader. The characters were well drawn and the descriptions of the hunting settings were colorful and added interest to the novel. I enjoyed the nuances as the mystery unfolded and appreciated the exciting wrap up. The animal conversations were humorous and totally believable, as any pet owner could attest. I highly recommend this book to mystery readers, fox hunters or not. ( )
  LadyoftheLodge | Jan 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
All of the makings of a classic cozy can be found in Rita Mae Brown's new novel: Crazy Like A Fox. In this latest installment of the Sister Jane novels, we learn of the mysterious disappearance of a charismatic Huntsman - nearly a generation before the story opens - that most folks familiar with the event suspect was more likely a case of murder most foul. ( )
  btuckertx | Dec 30, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Crazy Like a Fox is a book that would teach you a lot about fox hunting while throwing in a bunch of characters and a mystery to boot. There are so many characters, in fact, that Rita Mae Brown lists them all at the beginning of the book. I quit reading that so I could get to the actual novel. I skipped the fox hunting glossary too. The cozy style of the mystery will work well for those not wanting gore or much to worry about. Brown easily inserts you into the fox hunting world but then she is a Master of Foxhounds in real life. I didn't skip anything but I sometimes thought there was a little to much explanation on fox hunting and not enough on characters and the action of the book. All in all, it's a good read but if you want serious action this is not for you.
  jeshakespeare | Dec 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is one of the better books in this series. All of the usual characters are back, and there are new developments in some of their lives. The main plot revolves around the appearance of the "ghost" of a man who disappeared in the 50s, and why he may have reappeared. It's pretty easy to figure out who he is very early in the story, even though the main characters don't get it until the very end (which required a fair amount of suspension of belief, considering their intelligence in most other matters). But, this doesn't detract from the story at all. In the end, a murder is solved, a few new characters emerge, and old characters move into new phases of their lives. This book was more character than plot driven, and Ms. Brown is so very good at writing likeable, complex characters that it was a real pleasure reading it. The hunt scenes, which are always an integral part of this series, were also detailed and exciting. I highly recommend it. ( )
  drsyko | Dec 17, 2017 |

“Sister” Jane Arnold returns in a mystery full of colorful characters (both two- and four-legged!), gorgeous country landscapes, timeless traditions, and the breathtaking thrill of the hunt.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 01 May 2017 00:22:23 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Rita Mae Brown's book Crazy Like a Fox is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,378,507 books! | Top bar: Always visible