Dead Certain by Adam Mitzner

Dead Certain

by Adam Mitzner

I got an ARC of Never Goodbye and read it, not realizing it was a sequel. Nearly all detective/mystery novels are really good about recapping and outlining characters and relationships so I didn’t feel lost, and I enjoyed the book. So when I reached the end, I stumbled across a little afterword by the author where he mentioned that the book was a sequel and invited readers to reach out to him via email with any thoughts. I did so, and he actually wrote back! Very nice personal touch.

But, I digress. I immediately went to Amazon and grabbed a copy of Dead Certain. I have to say, I loved it even more than the second! Great multilayered story, gasp-worthy twists with a clever reveal, and enough tragedy to bring humanity to the story and make you feel for the characters. Full disclosure - I did cry. Really fun read, looking forward to the third installment now! I’ll read them in order from now on. ( )
  MissWordNerd | Jul 14, 2018 |
I obtained this book as a Kindle First choice for May 2017. It was very good, I would say 3.5 if we could give half points. The writing style is straightforward, not flowery or highly descriptive, and appropriate. Recommended if you like a quick read, and the storyaction moves along quickly. My most memorable takeaway from this book is that the two sisters are sluts...or is that just me being old-fashioned? LOL ( )
  Brava10 | Nov 25, 2017 |
DEAD CERTAIN
ADAM MITZNER

MY RATING ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️▫️
PUBLISHER Thomas & Mercer
PUBLISHED June 1, 2017

A skillfully crafted, fast-paced story of a sister that goes missing, the struggle to find her, and the secrets that sisters keep from each other.

SUMMARY
Two sisters, Ella and Charlotte Broden are having a celebratory lunch together in Manhatten. Ella is an attorney in her father’s law firm and Charlotte is getting her MFA at NYU and has written half of a novel. Charlotte the younger of the two, has reason to celebrate, a publisher has agreed to publish her book upon completion. She is excited and the first person she wants to tells is her best friend and sister, Ella. Ella is so pleased for Charlotte, but gets called away from the lunch by the office, to meet with a new client who may soon be question by the NYPD about a missing women.

A day later Charlotte too goes missing. Ella, a past assistant district attorney, pushes the NYPD for an immediate investigation. Could the two missing women be connected? As Ella reads Charlotte’s novel, she is surprised by her sister proclivities, but believes the novel may hold the clues to who may be responsible for Charlotte’s disappearance. The novel describes a fictional account of Charlotte’s real life affairs with three different men. Ella intends to find out exactly who these men really are.

REVIEW
The entire story in DEAD CERTAIN takes place over a ten-day fast paced period. The novel that Charlotte pens is also called DEAD CERTAIN. It’s a clever book within a book. I was immediately engaged in the book, and immensely curious about what happen to the free spirited Charlotte and how she could come to harm. I appreciated the uniqueness and breadth of Ella’s character, and her perseverance in the investigation into Charlotte's disappearance.

The structure of the book is interesting, and is what makes it intriguing. In the first part of the book a portion of the days are creatively told from Ella perspective. Charlotte book’s text is interspersed as Ella is reading it. Ella reading of Charlotte’s novel dictates the direction of Ella’s investigation. In the second part of the book, the days are interestingly told from one of the other character’s perspective.

Most surprising about the book is that Charlotte and Ella are as close as sisters can be, they talk every single day. But there are some big secrets that neither one of them tell each other! ( )
  LisaSHarvey | Aug 18, 2017 |
A well-written story which revolves around two sisters, one an aspiring writer who uses thinly disguised people she knows in her plot and her sister who uses that information to try to identify her murderer. Clever use of multiple perspectives of both sisters and the murderer as the story develops. ( )
  edwardsgt | Jun 27, 2017 |
This book was one I got from Kindle First. Mitzner's book is an excellent mystery/thriller.The characters are well written and the conflict between a not-so ethical attorney father and his daughters is very true to life. Mitzner also provides a powerful picture of how deceptive sociopaths can be when the sociopath who murders the main characters younger sister inserts himself not only into the investigation but the lives of the main character and her father. Overall an excellent read ( )
  arelenriel | Jun 7, 2017 |

By day, Ella works as a buttoned-up attorney on some of the citys most grueling cases. By night, she pursues her passion for singing in the darkest clubs of Manhattan.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,831,015 books! | Top bar: Always visible