His Guilt: The Amish of Hart County by…

His Guilt: The Amish of Hart County (edition 2017)

by Shelley Shepard Gray (Author)

Member:CafinatedReads
Title:His Guilt: The Amish of Hart County
Authors:Shelley Shepard Gray (Author)
Info:Avon Inspire (2017), 304 pages
Collections:Christian Fiction, Shelley Shepard Gray Books, 2017 Reads, Amish Fiction Novels
Rating:*****
Tags:mollyscafinatedreads, litfusebloggers, bookblogger

His Guilt: The Amish of Hart County by Shelley Shepard Gray

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
His Guilt was an interesting story set in Amish country. There is suspense, and romance, imperfection and spiritual growth. The characters were mostly likable.....some I didn't like well at first, I liked better by the end of the book. It showed that there is imperfection in the Amish community, just as there is in the 'English' community......gossiping, passing judgement on innocent people, and unkind behaviors. This book showed what books about the Amish rarely show.....and that is the fact that the Amish also have families that struggle with alcohol and drug abuse, and child abuse/ neglect. While it was a good story and I did enjoy it, my only complaint is that it was too short....things moved a little too fast and the characters and relationships could have been developed a little better if more time and space had been given. The dialogue is sometimes a little stilted, and hard to follow, and didn't feel natural.... But again....overall.....I did enjoy the story! ( )
  macnoid | Oct 21, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm sorry to say that I just couldn't get into this book. The characters were not interesting and I kept hoping the story line would pick up. I wanted to like this book but it just wasn't for me. ( )
  ChurchMouse70 | Aug 8, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I thought His Guilt was well-written, contained good characters, had a nice flow (which made it easy to read), and an interesting mystery. I am giving His Guilt 4 out of 5 stars. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Jul 27, 2017 |
Ms. Gray is back with another hit in the Amish Of Hart County series! She never fails to grip me wholly and keep me in the center of the story. This book, just like Her Secret, was an instant gripper for me.

Once again, the characters were captivating for me. I loved Mark and Waneta both. Mark's character really tugged at me the most. I can't imagine the pain that he endured through life. The things he dealt with in life, you don't imagine being a part of an Amish novel, but it was and it really made it that much more gripping. Oh to be there! I would go in mama mode on him and hug him big! Waneta's character, well, she was a little too judgy at times, but seeing God work on her, really made me love her that much more.

This book is intriguing, emotional, and gripping. It is not a sweet Amish romance, but it is a wonderful Amish novel in a series that will steal your heart, just the same. You will go through the roller coaster ride of ups and downs as you fall in love with each character, as you feel each characters emotions,as they seek forgiveness,and the pain that they go through of letting go of the past. Anything less than a 4.5 star review will not do this book justice.

I definitely recommend this book to all Amish fiction lovers, but be warned. It is not a light hearted read. And, I recommend reading book 1 first as it will make the experience of this series more fulfulling. I can't wait to read the next book Ms. Gray has for us!

*I received a complimentary copy of this book from LitFuse Bloggers and was under no obligation to post a review, positive or negative.* ( )
  CafinatedReads | Jul 23, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Accused of assault two years ago, Mark Fisher left Hart County even though he said he was innocent. Now he is back helping Mr. Lehrmann at his store. Some still think Mark is guilty but Waneta Cain is not one of them. However, just as Mark and Waneta grow close, another Amish woman is attacked and Mark is once again under suspicion. Will he ever be able to clear his name and start to build a new life with Waneta?

“His Guilt” is a very nicely done Amish romance by Shelley Shepherd Gray (I did not read “Her Secret”, the first book in the Amish of Hart County series, but this book works just fine as a standalone book to read). Mark, Waneta, Calvin (Mark's brother), and Lora are some of the most complex characters I have come across in an Amish novel - none of them are completely likable at times (including Waneta who can be a bit sanctimonious at times - luckily she changes as the book goes on). Mark too is flawed - he comes from a troubled background which is heartbreaking to read but you can't help but cheer him on while reading the book. There are two romances in this novel - both are done well and are fun to watch develop. My one “complaint” is that both romances happen very fast - everything is neatly wrapped up in about six weeks. The mystery of who is attacking Amish woman adds a nice bit of tension to the novel and makes for some thrilling moments towards the end of the book but astute readers will quickly figure out who the attacker is.

Shelley Shepherd is a talented writer and this is a very enjoyable Amish romance. I look forward to reading not only the first book in the series but the third book when it comes out. ( )
  drebbles | Jul 20, 2017 |

New York Times and USA Today bestselling author Shelley Shepard Gray delivers the next novel in her Amish of Hart County series—a suspenseful tale of an Amish man who will risk all to protect the woman he loves.

Mark Fisher has returned home to Hart County, determined to put the past behind him. Two years ago, after being wrongly accused of assault, he left the Amish community, though never forgot his home. When the one person who had helped him through his rough times asks for help, Mark returns. But it is pretty Waneta Cain who makes him want to stay...

Neeta is one of the few people in Hart County who doesn’t believe Mark is guilty of hurting anyone. However, his worldliness and tough exterior do make her uneasy. As she begins to see the real man behind all the gossip and prejudice, she wonders if he is the man for her.

Just when Mark starts to believe a new life is possible, a close friend of Neeta’s is attacked. Once again, everyone in the community seems to believe he is guilty.  But what hurts most is Neeta’s sudden wariness around him. When another woman is hurt, a woman who is close to both Neeta and himself, Mark fears he knows the real culprit. And time is running out. Will Mark be able to find him before Neeta becomes his next victim?

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 02 May 2017 15:37:40 -0400)

Returning to the Amish community that wrongly blamed him for an assault two years earlier, Mark protects the only woman who believed him, Neeta, who wonders at the identity of the real culprit in the wake of new attacks. Mark Fisher returns to the Amish community that wrongly blamed him for an assault two years earlier when Neeta, the only woman who believed in his innocence, asks for his help. When new assaults begin, Mark fears he knows the identity of the real culprit.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Shelley Shepard Gray's book His Guilt is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,537,441 books! | Top bar: Always visible