Heaven's Coast: A Memoir by Mark Doty

Heaven's Coast: A Memoir

by Mark Doty

There is nothing wrong with the book, or memoir, but it is all me. I went in to it not knowing what it was or who it was written by, and there is no fault there but my own. I can say nothing more. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
Hard to read, and hard to put down. ( )
  jrbeach | Jan 14, 2014 |
A real tearjerker. Full of feeling and love. One of those books I would have never discovered if it weren't for my book group. So glad it found its way to my hands. ( )
  VenusofUrbino | Nov 21, 2007 |
It's been years since I read this book, and I still remember how beautiful it was. ( )
  rutibegga | Aug 27, 2006 |
A meditation on death that brims with life. A book about being gay in America that a rabbi could love (well, a reform rabbi). A prayer and a dance. A long, dark journey. A place in my heart. ( )
  deliriumslibrarian | Aug 21, 2006 |

The year is 1989 and Mark Doty's life has reached a state of enviable equilibrium. His reputation as a poet of formidable talent is growing, he enjoys his work as a college professor and, perhaps most importantly, he is deeply in love with his partner of many years, Wally Roberts. The harmonious existence these two men share is shattered, however, when they learn that Wally has tested positive for the HIV virus.

From diagnosis to the initial signs of deterioration to the heartbreaking hour when Wally is released from his body's ruined vessel, Heaven's Coastis an intimate chronicle of love, its hardships, and its innumerable gifts. We witness Doty's passage through the deepest phase of grief -- letting his lover go while keeping him firmly alive in memory and heart -- and, eventually beyond, to the slow reawakening of the possibilities of pleasure. Part memoir, part journal, part elegy for a life of rare communication and beauty, Heaven's Coast evinces the same stunning honesty, resplendent descriptive power and rapt attention to the physical landscape that has won Doty's poetry such attention and acclaim.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 17:58:17 -0400)

The harmonious partnership of two gay men is shattered when they learn that one has tested positive for the HIV virus

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 133,358,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible