The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My…

The Last Girl: My Story of Captivity, and My Fight Against the Islamic…

by Nadia Murad

Nadia lived a quite life in northern Iraq, with other members of the Yazidi community. A little known religion, Yazidi's are an insular community, who generally keeps to themselves and bothers no one. When ISIS enters their village, they separate men, women and children. The men are slaughtered. Young women of Nadia's age are taken away, to become sex slaves. After being forced to convert to Islam, she is traded by several militants to be repeatedly raped and beaten. Left unattended one day, Nadia miraculously escapes. With the help of a Sunni Muslim family, she is smuggled to safety.

This was a very powerful and moving story. I can't imagine the horrors that Nadia, and other members of the Yazidi community have gone through. I was glad to see a book written from this perspective. It is very brave of Nadia to speak of her experiences, and it is important to bring awareness and to ensure that this does not happen again. Overall, highly recommended. ( )
  JanaRose1 | Apr 11, 2018 |
The human, tragic, story of the unrest in the middle east. The trials of the Yazidis are now seared into my brain and I will think of this book and Nadia Murad whenever I hear the word ISIS. The very few reviews, mentions and readership is unfortunate. Yes, it was disturbing but sometimes, people need to be disturbed to become aware of the atrocities that exist in the world. ( )
  librarygeek33 | Jan 16, 2018 |
In the United States much time is spent teaching the events of WWII. From the holocaust to the blitz on London, entire units are dedicated to the genocide and study of Hitler’s regime. However, it is abundantly clear within The Last Girl that the genocide of Jews by Hitler was NOT the end of religious persecution or massive genocide. In 2014 and present day, the ongoing genocide of Yazidi’s in Iraq and human trafficking of women are very much still happening, and while Nazi’s were immediately prosecuted for their crimes against Jews it wasn’t until 16 years after the genocide in Rwanda that contributors were tried for their crimes. Nadia begs the same does not happen of participants in the Yazidi genocides.

This book was a huge wakeup call from my American comforts and freedoms. EVERYONE should be educated on the atrocities that continue to happen around the world. I applaud Nadia’s courage in telling her story, and taking part in ending the violence. I hope her story urges others to fight back, show compassion to victims and contribute to the end of such violence, as it does me. We can all strive to fight back, even in simple acts such as showing kindness, welcoming refugees, and providing monetary support to aid agencies worldwide.

For the full review, please visit: https://fortheloveofthepageblog.wordpress.com/

*Disclaimer: This book was provided to me by Blogging for Books, in conjunction with the publisher, in exchange for an honest review. ( )
1 vote JillRey | Nov 27, 2017 |

"In this intimate memoir of survival, a former captive of the Islamic State tells her harrowing and ultimately inspiring story. Nadia Murad was born and raised in Kocho, a small village of farmers and shepherds in northern Iraq. A member of the Yazidi community, she and her brothers and sisters lived a quiet life. Nadia had dreams of becoming a history teacher or opening her own beauty salon. On August 15th, 2014, when Nadia was just twenty-one years old, this life ended. Islamic State militants massacred the people of her village, executing men who refused to convert to Islam and women too old to become sex slaves. Six of Nadia's brothers were killed, and her mother soon after, their bodies swept into mass graves. Nadia was taken to Mosul and forced, along with thousands of other Yazidi girls, into the ISIS slave trade. Nadia would be held captive by several militants and repeatedly raped and beaten. Finally, she managed a narrow escape through the streets of Mosul, finding shelter in the home of a Sunni Muslim family whose eldest son risked his life to smuggle her to safety. Today, Nadia's story--as a witness to the Islamic State's brutality, a survivor of rape, a refugee, a Yazidi--has forced the world to pay attention to the ongoing genocide in Iraq. It is a call to action, a testament to the human will to survive, and a love letter to a lost country, a fragile community, and a family torn apart by war"-- "A memoir of Nadia Murad's time as a captive of the Islamic State, her escape, and her human rights activism"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,995,668 books! | Top bar: Always visible