The Hole by Pyun Hye-young

The Hole

by Pyun Hye-young

Went back and forth between 2 and 3 stars but settled on 3 because I like the premise and atmosphere of this book and it is done well in places. Some of the chapters, though, when Oghi is looking back seemed to get wordy, which is kind of odd for such a short book. Also, what is up with the absolutely clueless physical therapist? ( )
  jensteele | Apr 12, 2018 |
A car accident that has killed his wife has left Oyhi paralyzed. When he awakens from a coma, he is brought home, where he is to be cared for by his mother-in-law, his deceased wife's mother. Besides being paralyzed, he is temporarily unable to speak. His mother-in-law clearly blames Oyhi for her daughter's death. He is neglected by her, if not abused, as she begins digging up the beautiful garden her daughter had cultivated.

This book was billed as a subtle psychological thriller. Maybe it was too subtle for me, as I found not much happened, and I didn't really understand the meaning of what did happen. However, it is a Korean prize winner, and the writing was quiet and lyrical. I don't regret reading it.

2 1/2 stars ( )
  arubabookwoman | Dec 18, 2017 |
Oghi has woken from a coma only to learn that he has been involved in an accident that has left him paralyzed and unable to speak and his wife dead. He is left in the care of his mother-in-law and is the object of neglect and abuse. He only has the small bedroom and his memories and has no control over anything in his life – his health, his money, his home, his future. His mother-in-law obviously doesn’t have Oghi’s best interests at heart. She starts to work in her dead daughter’s garden, strangely digging larger and larger holes.

To say more about the plot would be to spoil the author’s meticulous rendering of this chilling story. She builds up a feeling of dread and suspense that had me on the edge of my seat. There was one scene in the book where I literally jumped out of my chair and walked around the room reading it. I flew through the book and am looking forward to more of this author. It’s a short read but definitely intriguing. Quite a literary accomplishment in the thriller genre.

Recommended.

This book was given to me by the publisher in return for an honest review. ( )
  hubblegal | Jul 18, 2017 |

A man wakes paralyzed from a car accident that kills his wife. He's taken care of solely by his mother-in-law, who begins to show erratic behavior as she digs up her daughter's prized garden.

Arcade Publishing

An edition of this book was published by Arcade Publishing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,013,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible