The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau

The People of Sparks (2005)

by Jeanne DuPrau

2,870None2,010 (3.66)91
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (Tom15Rose3)
    Tom15Rose3: Both are dystopian books and both are amazing (in my opinion)
    Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling (Wova4)
    Wova4: Both are speculative fiction dealing with communities struggling to survive in environments that require them to be self-sufficient. Island deals with adult themes, so caution is warranted.

Book 2 in the series. The people from the City of Ember have emerged into the world of light and are faced with a whole new set of problems. Will the people of sparks be able to accept and help them or will fear and misunderstanding send them into a new war. ( )
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
  CharityBradford | Apr 1, 2014 |
We begin not too long after City of Ember ended, with the Emberites having emerged from their underground home for the first time in many generations, and descending upon the first settlement they encounter: the village of Sparks. This tiny village cannot support these hundreds of refugees who have nothing to trade and no skills to take care of themselves, and tensions between the two groups steadily build. To be perfectly honest, I spent a good part of this book being angry at everybody. I know it's supposed to be an allegory, but not a single person in Sparks showed any interest whatsoever in learning about Ember or its inhabitants. These people have been cut off from the rest of civilization for so long that they have never seen an animal and don't even know what the moon is. I'd never stop asking them questions and answering theirs. Luckily, everything does eventually get resolved and I finished the story feeling more or less satisfied. I don't think I'll be continuing the series, however. From what I understand, the latter two books focus more on some mysterious prophecy (which is kind of annoying since part of the attraction of these books, for me, is their plausibility) and hardly feature Lina and Doon at all. This one ends in a good place, though, so I am happy to continue the story only in my imagination. ( )
  melydia | Dec 20, 2013 |
RGG: Sequel. Again beautifully written about a civilization after Earth's annilation by war. Two societies' conflicts may dissolve into a war…except for our heroes.
  rgruberexcel | Sep 5, 2013 |
The beginning made me think of all of the things in this world that I take for granted. I was very bothered by the angry tone in the middle of the book. The ending made up for any of the earlier parts that I did not enjoy.

This is a children's book, but it could easily be enjoyed by adults and taken on another level. ( )
  RKoletteL | Aug 22, 2013 |
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.
Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence,
and toughness multiplies toughness
in a descending spiral of destruction.

- Martin Luther King, Jr., "Strength to Love," 1963
Torren was out at the edge of the cabbage field that day, the day the people came.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375828257, Paperback)

When teenagers Lina Mayfleet and Doon Harrow lead their people up out of the Earth, fleeing their dying underground city of Ember, everything is new and a little frightening to the refugees--the sun and the moon, birds, trees, fire…and the people of Ember are strange to the 322 citizens of Sparks, one of the few towns on Earth to survive the time of The Disaster. How can they feed and house the 400 Emberites, the leaders of Sparks wonder, when they have just begun to be able to feed themselves comfortably? But if they don’t, these underground people with no survival skills will surely die in the wastelands. They take them in as best they can, but grumbling and bad feeling grows on both sides. Lina returns from a failed search for her persistent vision of a city of light to find the town, egged on by the power-hungry young thug Tick, once again at the point of war, forgetting how the Earth has been destroyed before. But Lina has seen the devastation left by The Disaster, and so she risks a brave move of reconciliation, and when Doon exposes Tick’s trickery, the two sides join as the new people of Sparks.

In this exciting and solidly constructed sequel to The City of Ember, Jeanne DuPrau moves the story on entrancingly, bringing along her cast of characters from underground and adding new dimensions and relationships as the action escalates to a satisfying conclusion that still allows for further volumes in this fine fantasy. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:56:20 -0400)

Having escaped to the Unknown Regions, Lina and the others seek help from the village people of Sparks.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,493,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible