The People of Sparks by Jeanne Duprau

The People of Sparks (edition 2008)

by Jeanne Duprau

Member:kseistrup
Title:The People of Sparks
Authors:Jeanne Duprau
Info:
Rating:***1/2

The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau

The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (Tom15Rose3)
    Tom15Rose3: Both are dystopian books and both are amazing (in my opinion)
    Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling (Wova4)
    Wova4: Both are speculative fiction dealing with communities struggling to survive in environments that require them to be self-sufficient. Island deals with adult themes, so caution is warranted.

I enjoyed this sequel to The City of Ember immensely. In addition to being a well written story with great character depth, it also taught valuable lessons. It taught how easy it is for wars to get started, and how sometimes you have to be the better person. It taught not to assume the worst about someone just because they are unfamiliar to you. And it taught that sometimes the best treasure is other people. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
4.5 stars. This review is also available on my blog, Read Till Dawn.

This is the sequel to the New York Times bestselling dystopian The City of Ember, which I reviewed here (link goes to my blog). There are some inevitable spoilers from the first book, so read ahead at your own risk!

Where Ember was a story of setting and plot, this was a story of characters and relationships. The people of Sparks are reluctant to care for four hundred extra people out of their own reserves, and the people of Ember quickly become embittered about the "stinginess" of their unwilling hosts. The book is one long look at conflict: the small things that can spark big wars, and the devastating effects of human anger.

A few times in the book characters talk about the idea that the only way to stop bad events from escalating, is to return good for bad and convince your opponent to stop the cycle of retaliation. This was the idea that stuck with me most strongly when I first read the book many years ago, and it's the idea that once again hits me with the most force. It's a very important message, and one that everyone could take a moment to consider.

Lina and Doon play prominent roles in this book, which makes me happy because I love them. What I particularly love about them is that they don't let their relationship drama consume the story: in fact, I wouldn't even call it "drama." They go through a small rough patch in their friendship, but it doesn't consume the story. They've each got much bigger issues to deal with as Doon struggles to decide what to do/where his loyalties lie during the revolution, and Lina worries about her sick sister and finding a place to live away from Sparks. They spend most of the book apart from each other, both physically and emotionally, but there's none of that "oh no, we'll never be friends again" garbage that authors often throw in to add some tension.

On another note, it's fascinating to see the world a couple centuries after the cataclysmic events ended. People survive by scavenging goods from old deserted cities, the science of electricity long forgotten. It's like a primitive time period from our own past in many respects (the water pumps, the farming for survival, etc.), but it's also futuristic in the most fascinating and kind of depressing way. Roamers, who pick through ruins to find goods to trade for, drive trucks - that's right, trucks - pulled by horses or mules. One woman buys (via trading) an old sink top with hot and cold faucets, because she likes the looks of it and wants to use it as a candleholder.

It's hard to put this book into words, but it really is a gripping, fascinating, throught-provoking read about the future, the past, the nature of conflict, and the road to peace. If this sounds interesting to you, read The People of Sparks - I promise you won't be disappointed! ( )
  Jaina_Rose | Mar 1, 2016 |
loved it! ( )
  katieloucks | Feb 26, 2016 |
Boring. Nothing happened. A lot of sitting around. ( )
  babydogfish | Jan 29, 2016 |
An ok book, but reminds me of an afterschool special about what happens when revenge and bad feelings take over a communities world. Not sure if I will read the other 3 books in the series..Maybe. ( )
  nraichlin | Jan 26, 2016 |

Jeanne DuPrauprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riely, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.
Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence,
and toughness multiplies toughness
in a descending spiral of destruction.

- Martin Luther King, Jr., "Strength to Love," 1963
Torren was out at the edge of the cabbage field that day, the day the people came.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375828257, Paperback)

When teenagers Lina Mayfleet and Doon Harrow lead their people up out of the Earth, fleeing their dying underground city of Ember, everything is new and a little frightening to the refugees--the sun and the moon, birds, trees, fire…and the people of Ember are strange to the 322 citizens of Sparks, one of the few towns on Earth to survive the time of The Disaster. How can they feed and house the 400 Emberites, the leaders of Sparks wonder, when they have just begun to be able to feed themselves comfortably? But if they don’t, these underground people with no survival skills will surely die in the wastelands. They take them in as best they can, but grumbling and bad feeling grows on both sides. Lina returns from a failed search for her persistent vision of a city of light to find the town, egged on by the power-hungry young thug Tick, once again at the point of war, forgetting how the Earth has been destroyed before. But Lina has seen the devastation left by The Disaster, and so she risks a brave move of reconciliation, and when Doon exposes Tick’s trickery, the two sides join as the new people of Sparks.

In this exciting and solidly constructed sequel to The City of Ember, Jeanne DuPrau moves the story on entrancingly, bringing along her cast of characters from underground and adding new dimensions and relationships as the action escalates to a satisfying conclusion that still allows for further volumes in this fine fantasy. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Having escaped to the Unknown Regions, Lina and the others seek help from the village people of Sparks.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,881,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible