The People of Sparks by Jeanne Duprau

The People of Sparks (edition 2008)

by Jeanne Duprau

Member:kseistrup
Title:The People of Sparks
Authors:Jeanne Duprau
Info:
Rating:***1/2

The People of Sparks by Jeanne DuPrau

Recently added byBrynnV, absurdmonkey, Blueeyes1744, kaylynjrice, Bb5, NPO, MysterCat, upperel, private library, shaunesay
    The Wikkeling by Steven Arntson (Tom15Rose3)
    Tom15Rose3: Both are dystopian books and both are amazing (in my opinion)
    Island in the Sea of Time by S. M. Stirling (Wova4)
    Wova4: Both are speculative fiction dealing with communities struggling to survive in environments that require them to be self-sufficient. Island deals with adult themes, so caution is warranted.

English (105)  German (1)  All (106)
unfortunately, this book wasn't as good as the first one in the series. I enjoyed the first one a lot more. In this book, Lina and her friend Doon bring their people above ground to a new world that they both discovered together in the first installment of the series. They at first get along quite well, but the people of Sparks- the people above ground- start to treat them differently. The small problem in this book where Lina goes out to find a magical city was really made out to be such a huge problem, which i thought wasn't really necessary. Her leaving to go to the "city" created a sort of small problem between her and Doon, him wondering why she did not bring him along on this little adventure of hers. Many of the problems in here are solved rather quickly, but the problem between the 2 peoples were a huge part of the book. I thought that it was alright, but for me, i just did not like that this was a huge problem, even though there is nothing wrong with it being the problem at all. It was only just annoying from my perspective. ( )
  Lena_L | Apr 14, 2017 |
The first book in the Ember series was quite good with an interesting story line and surprises around every corner. This book, its sequel, is the complete opposite. The People of Sparks is a purely moralistic tale with weak narrative - at least in my opinion.

The characters were mostly annoying, the end was obviously contrived and only served as moral reinforcement rather than a believable outcome.

I'll probably end up reading the other books in this series at some point, but I'll hope that they're better than this. Until I can confirm they're better, I won't be buying any more DuPrau books. ( )
  yrthegood1staken | Feb 28, 2017 |
Oh my goodness, make it end.
This is quite possibly the most annoying narrator in the history of time. She does voices ... a deep creepy one for the heavy older brother; a deep, not creepy one for the heavy woman; and - worst by far - a whiny, bratty voice for the little boy.
Her horrible reading style made me hate this book. Yes, hate it. I only finished listening to it because I don't like to leave things unfinished, but it was a painful listen. ( )
  imahorcrux | Jun 22, 2016 |
I dunno - I guess because it's the middle of a trilogy it didn't quite have the same impact. It was neither world-building nor climactic. Worthy, though, if you're thinking about reading them. ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
I enjoyed this sequel to The City of Ember immensely. In addition to being a well written story with great character depth, it also taught valuable lessons. It taught how easy it is for wars to get started, and how sometimes you have to be the better person. It taught not to assume the worst about someone just because they are unfamiliar to you. And it taught that sometimes the best treasure is other people. ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |

Jeanne DuPrauprimary authorall editionscalculated
Riely, ChrisCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Darkness cannot drive out darkness;
only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate;
only love can do that.
Hate multiplies hate, violence multiplies violence,
and toughness multiplies toughness
in a descending spiral of destruction.

- Martin Luther King, Jr., "Strength to Love," 1963
Torren was out at the edge of the cabbage field that day, the day the people came.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0375828257, Paperback)

When teenagers Lina Mayfleet and Doon Harrow lead their people up out of the Earth, fleeing their dying underground city of Ember, everything is new and a little frightening to the refugees--the sun and the moon, birds, trees, fire…and the people of Ember are strange to the 322 citizens of Sparks, one of the few towns on Earth to survive the time of The Disaster. How can they feed and house the 400 Emberites, the leaders of Sparks wonder, when they have just begun to be able to feed themselves comfortably? But if they don’t, these underground people with no survival skills will surely die in the wastelands. They take them in as best they can, but grumbling and bad feeling grows on both sides. Lina returns from a failed search for her persistent vision of a city of light to find the town, egged on by the power-hungry young thug Tick, once again at the point of war, forgetting how the Earth has been destroyed before. But Lina has seen the devastation left by The Disaster, and so she risks a brave move of reconciliation, and when Doon exposes Tick’s trickery, the two sides join as the new people of Sparks.

In this exciting and solidly constructed sequel to The City of Ember, Jeanne DuPrau moves the story on entrancingly, bringing along her cast of characters from underground and adding new dimensions and relationships as the action escalates to a satisfying conclusion that still allows for further volumes in this fine fantasy. (Ages 10 to 14) --Patty Campbell

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:42 -0400)

Having escaped to the Unknown Regions, Lina and the others seek help from the village people of Sparks.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,318,717 books! | Top bar: Always visible