Still Life with Oysters and Lemon: On…

Still Life with Oysters and Lemon: On Objects and Intimacy (edition 2002)

by Mark Doty

Info:Beacon Press (2002), Paperback, 80 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:Librarian Karen's books, Memoirs

Still Life With Oysters and Lemon: On Objects and Intimacy by Mark Doty

"It is an art that points to the human by leaving the human out; nowhere visible, we're everywhere. It is an art that points to meaning through wordlessness, that points to timelessness through things permanently caught in time."

A moving, erudite meditation on the the way we relate intimately to objects. Doty's examination of Dutch still life paintings; his memories of objects and their intimate associations from childhood; his recollection of auction days, items purchased, and how positioning objects against other objects changes narrative and therefore our relation to each piece; and, finally, the link between intimacy, time, mortality, and aesthetics -- all of these are explored with precision, grace, and with an immense compassion for visual art, poetry (e.g., Cavafy, Lorca, Glück), and how our relationships with these objects of art and memory influence our daily existence. ( )
  proustitute | Jul 17, 2014 |
Read this for my continuing ed class...beautiful writing! It gave me a new perspective on still lifes, something I had never thought much about. It's a pretty short book, so I will probably read through it again before the class meets. ( )
  goet0095 | Mar 27, 2014 |

This book is notable for me for a couple of reasons, firstly, due to it being the first e-book I’ve read - such is my favoring of print, and secondly, because Mark Doty, so unexpectedly, swept me off my feet with his exquisite poetic prose. I don’t think I’ve read a book quite like this, remarkable in its ability to compress so much profundity into so small a place, and to have it flow with such elegance and grace. Every sentence seemed to demand of me a pause for reflection. This man positively waltzes with words.

Walking the galleries of the Upper East side one random day, he comes across a three-hundred and fifty year old still life painting by Jan Davidsz de Heem (so explaining the title of the book) which completely captivates him.

... I have fallen in love with a painting. Though that phrase doesn’t seem to suffice, not really – rather it’s that I have been drawn into the orbit of a painting, have allowed myself to be pulled into its sphere by casual attraction deepening to something more compelling. I have felt the energy and life of the painting’s will; I have been held there, instructed. And the overall effect, the result of looking and looking into its brimming surface as long as I could look, is love, by which I mean a sense of tenderness toward experience, of being held within an intimacy with the things of the world

It is this that springboards him into a melancholic review of the intimacies of his life, as he extrapolates from the effect that the painting has on him to a deeper consideration of the items which are precious to him, and the people that are intertwined with them. Entranced with the still life objects of the painting – the oysters, the slivers of lemon - he muses, ‘these things had a history, a set of personal meanings; they were someone’s'.

This moment of significance takes him completely off-guard - as epiphanies are prone to do - and launches him into a lengthy meditation on the personal items which become part of the histories of our lives, imbued as they are with such personal meaning for each and every one of us. Thus, the blue and white platter, purchased at a second-hand sale and brought home prior to his partner's death, becomes inseparably bound up with reminders of their lives together; this, he slowly and poignantly unravels.

This book is the result of that lyrical wonderment, a deep reverie about how our most special possessions intersect with who we are, who we love, and who we ultimately lose.

ZenMoon | Mar 31, 2013 |
Read this on a quiet weekend at the cabin. Perfect fare for that but meditative as the reviewers suggest. As I have been in Amsterdam and have seen many of the Dutch Masters paintings, I could move into this type of book. Not for the average bear. Came to this title through the UofM Learninglife ? catalog which was offering a class on memoirs. Students were to read 3: this, The Hare with the Amber Eyes, and Joan Didion either Year of Magical Thinking, or Blue Nights, can't remember which. Serious and beautifully crafted. ( )
  splinfo | Feb 27, 2013 |
Densely meditative musings (looks easy, but isn't) on Dutch still life, every day life, art, and the ways that surface goes deep in all of these. Really lovely. I had to reread it a bunch of times. ( )
  Liabee | Jan 22, 2011 |

Mark Doty's prose has been hailed as "tempered and tough, sorrowing and serene" (The New York Times Book Review) and "achingly beautiful" (The Boston Globe). In Still Life with Oysters and Lemon he offers a stunning exploration of our attachment to ordinary things-how we invest objects with human store, and why.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:48 -0400)

From Mark Doty, one of our finest poets, a delicate and sensual literary essay. Part memoir, part art history, part meditation, this hybrid volume uses the great Dutch still life paintings of the seventeenth century as a departure point for an examination of questions about our relationships with things, how we invest them with human store, how they hold feeling and hope and history within them.--From publisher description.… (more)

Beacon Press

An edition of this book was published by Beacon Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,493,718 books! | Top bar: Always visible