Mulliner Nights by P. G. Wodehouse

Mulliner Nights (1933)

by P. G. Wodehouse

English (6)  Dutch (1)  All languages (7)
"Best Seller" is one of his best short stories. Webster the cat is great, also. C'mon, it's Wodehouse -- only the best. ( )
  bradgers | Feb 6, 2014 |
Time has not been kind to Mr Wodehouse's work. No who am I kidding this book is dreaadful! True it has some period charm, but it is very difficult now to imagine a time when Mr Mulliner could have held sway in the bar parlour of the Anglers rest as described in the book. It is now not clear if the books are satires or not. The only thing the charachters seem to do or even want to do is get married. My only conclusion is that the books actually were satires on upper class mores when they were written, became tame by 1960s standards and then when rediscovered in the 1970s by television were played as straight comedies of manners. I hated them, which is a pity because I liked the books in my childhood. ( )
  wrichard | Jun 24, 2013 |
Three things drew me to it. 1) It was under $5, 2) The cover has a cat drunk on whiskey on it, 3) I had just read Love Among the Chickens by Wodehouse, which was my first encounter with him, and found him hilarious. Given this trifecta, I couldn’t resist. I’m glad I didn’t, as this short story collection didn’t disappoint.

Don’t worry about this being the third in a series. The only connection among the short stories is the main characters are all a Mulliner (or married to one). It was completely unnecessary to have read the first two books in the series to get into this collection, although I intend now to read all of the Mulliner books. I really appreciated how Wodehouse sets up a structure to hold his short story collection together in one unit. Although they are all self-contained tales, their being together in one collection actually makes sense. They have more in common than just the author. They are literally a family of stories. This helped it hold my interest in a way that many short story collections can’t.

This collection consists of 9 short stories, most of which have some sort of love element. One person wants to be with (or marry) another and must overcome some sort of obstacle (usually caused by British upper-class culture) in order to be with them. Hilarity ensues. My favorite of these was “The Story of Webster,” the cover’s drunk cat. In this a freewheeling artist has his religious uncle drop his cat off with him while he goes on assignment to Africa. The judgmental, sullen cat soon starts to reign in the young artist, much to his and his girlfriend’s chagrin. Everything about this, from the early 20th century fashion and dialogue to the witty commentary on cats and culture works perfectly, particularly for this cat-lover. The story that I thought worked least-well, and unfortunately wraps up the book, is “Gala Night.” A pastor Mulliner accidentally helps a young couple who enjoys dancing to acquire the young woman’s parents’ approval of their union. I didn’t like the religious Mulliner. He just wasn’t funny to me. Similarly the catalyst of a mysterious mood enhancing drink just lacked the creativity found in the other stories. Fortunately, most of the stories fell much closer to the hilarity of the whiskey drinking cat. However, a couple did fall a bit flat for me, which is why while I greatly enjoyed the book, I wouldn’t say I was totally in love with it.

Overall, this is a wonderfully witty collection of short stories held together by an elderly Mulliner who enjoys telling (possibly tall) tales about his family over a pint in the local pub. If you enjoy a dry wit and slapstick humor to top off a cute love story, this collection is for you.

Check out my full review: http://wp.me/pp7vL-Y2 ( )
  gaialover | May 1, 2013 |
Every respectable home should have a copy of MULLINER NIGHTS. For consistent charm and endless effortless goofy phrases, this beats, page-per-page, anything else PGW ever published. This is the collection in which -- for reasons too bizarre to detail -- corpuscles in the bloodstream are described as calling to other corpsucles lingering on the bank, "Come on in -- the blood's fine!". And a dark giant about the belabour his hapless neighbour is compared to the high priest of one of the rougher religions who runs his eye over the human sacrifice prior to asking his caddy for the niblick. And so on. It is a matter of record that in an earlier, perhaps happier day, Wodehouse's Jeeves and Wooster stories were so popular that there were Drones Clubs all over the civilized world, even in Budapest. Who would like to organize a latter-day Angler's Rest? I will be more than willing to play the raconteur Mulliner; I might even develop a taste for for Scotch, if that's what it takes to capture the role. ( )
  HarryMacDonald | Sep 19, 2012 |
Funny and witty. ( )
  charlie68 | Jun 8, 2009 |
But no poet has yet treated of the most poignant bereavement of all - that of the man half-way through a detective-story who finds himself at bedtime without the book.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 039472027X, Paperback)

Each evening at the Angler’s Nest, sipping scotch and lemon, Mr. Mulliner’s tells his stories. His narratives showcase Wodehouse’s genius for fetching whimsy and eccentric shenanigans.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:41:59 -0400)

A private detective who can make the guilty confess simply by smiling at them. An artist so intimidated by his morally impeccable cat that he feels compelled to wear formal attire at dinner. These are some of the members of the Mulliner clan whose exploits are laid before the regulars of the Angler's Rest by that doyen of raconteurs Mr Mulliner, in a series of tall stories where lunacy and comic exuberance reign supreme.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,013,333 books! | Top bar: Always visible