dismiss

Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis

by Andy Weir

2,8261953,397 (3.55)141
Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself—and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.… (more)
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (bethd13)
    bethd13: Both books are fast paced and lots of snarky humor. Love the intelligent, strong, female characters!

English (189)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  Spanish (1)  French (1)  All languages (193)
I loved The Martian. Every single word of it. So as soon as Artemis came out I was all over it. I didn't love every single word. In fact, it took me a while to even get into it. I did the audiobook and I have to say that the narrator really got in the way but finally about 1/4th in, I was able to kind of ignore her interference and get sucked into the story. And, by the end, I was totally hooked. Andy Weir knows how to spin a tale. ( )
  susandennis | Jun 5, 2020 |
This book was great.

I admit to worrying that he wouldn't be able to keep up the quality from The Martian, and this is definitely a very different kind of tale from that, being half a heist novel but otherwise just a great adventure, but he pulls it off. Better than pulling it off, even. I love his characters and the feel of the moon city, Artemis, is vital and detailed.

But you know what the best part is?

I was thoroughly entertained during the entire read. The pacing is great, the reveals believable, the twists unexpected, and the action, delightful. I really couldn't ask for more when it comes to fun science fiction.

The moon is a great place to have an adventure. There's always the threat of being deported to Earth, the expensive living arrangements, and the law if you're a smuggler, which Jazz is, but there's always suit and engineering and environmental problems to worry about, too. And never forget greed and cupidity and the need to balance being a good person against a ton of intrigue. That's what we've got going on, here, and it's a real treat every step of the way.

No spoilers, but I can easily say that I had a great time reading it from the first to the last page. Nothing could have pleased me more. The read is solid as hell.

Thanks to Netgalley for the ARC! ( )
  bradleyhorner | Jun 1, 2020 |
While there are some pretty big flaws (such as Jazz being able to just learn advanced chemistry in an afternoon, weird sex jokes in random places, and a r/menwritingwomen quality sprinkled throughout) I cannot lie; I thoroughly enjoyed this book. The tech is interesting and accessible, the storyline is fast-paced and exciting, and the city itself is fascinating. It could be because I've been reading a lot of heavy and dry non-fiction and young adult urban fantasy for work lately, but Artemis has been engaging and exciting for me and I finished it in three sessions. It feels like good honest sci-fi fun. ( )
  carlypancakes | May 28, 2020 |
Artemis

First Thoughts:

Andy Weir, fresh off his big win of a novel, The Martian, tells a what-if story – what if we landed on the moon and created a city of giant bubbles, each named after pioneer astronauts. Would we have the same problems any small town USA would have, including gangsters, cover-ups and murder?

You bet!

Story & Plot:

I like how the story is told in first person narrative. Jasmine Bashara (Jazz) lives 15 floors underground in the Conrad Bubble and starts with her failing her EVA Guild exam. An EVA (extra-vehicular activity) exam is botched when Jazz uses a used space suit and almost dies. “The Moon is an old bitch” she exclaims.

Jazz is tough. Jazz smuggles to offset her poor living. She’s lived on the moon since she was six. She has a strained relationship with her dad, a welder, and I would call this story more a coming of age tale more than anything.

Jazz makes a deal with a billionaire devil to mess with some rock harvesters and creates major problems, including creating problems for a Brazilian crime syndicate which would love to have Jazz put into space without a suit.

The story centers on corruption, a murder mystery and how she survives on the moon and barely makes it to the end of the novel with her life. The story is dragging and does gets bloated with science terminology and what happens in certan chemical reactions, etc., that would interest a physics major more than the average young adult novel reader.

Final Thoughts:

Besides all that, the story really picks up and is a page turner when Jazz makes the biggest heist of her life and nearly dies trying to save Artemis and finds the Moon is not such a harsh mistress.

Recommended.

James_Mourgos | May 19, 2020 |
Unfortunately, not as gripping or funny as The Martian. While I enjoyed the immersion and verisimilitude of the moon city, Weir is a bit clueless about writing women, and he's developed the Neal Stephenson syndrome of over-explaining the science and worshipping rich tech guys. ( )
  dreamweaversunited | Apr 28, 2020 |

Lindroth, DavidCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Madejski, RadosławTłUmaczenie.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pietermann, GabrielleSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micheal Collins, Jack Swigert, Stu Roosa, Al Worden, Ken Mattingley and Ron Evans. Because these guys don't get nearly enough credit.
I bounded over the gray, dusty terrain toward the huge dome of Conrad Bubble.

Jazz is a small time criminal, subsidising work as a porter on the moon with smuggling a little contraband. But it’s never enough.

When she’s offered the chance to get rich quick she jumps at it. But planning the perfect crime in 1/6th gravity was never going to be easy, especially as there is a conspiracy at the heart of Artemis.

At first it was about the money, then it was about control. Now it’s about survival…

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,730,702 books! | Top bar: Always visible