Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis

by Andy Weir

Recently added byprivate library, jacques.yerby, junipiner, ozzer, AClodz, dunnmark99, FabmanMG, DavePrince, isakhnov, rena75
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (bethd13)
    bethd13: Both books are fast paced and lots of snarky humor. Love the intelligent, strong, female characters!

English (149)  Hungarian (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (151)
The first 40% of the this book was pretty boring with a main character who is difficult to like. Then it really takes off and becomes a can't put it down book. Good ending, but not too many surprises in this one. ( )
  LydiaGranda | Feb 15, 2019 |
When this came out, everyone seemed to react with hate or disappointment. I don’t know why–I loved it. It’s not the same as “The Martian“. But if I wanted the same as “The Martian”, I’d read “The Martian”.

This one has less science and math. Maybe that’s what people were looking forward to. That was the “special something” that made “The Martian” stand out. But that means it’s easier to understand the plot. I expected that, without his physics to rely on, Andy Weir’s characters and plot would be flat and plodding. But that’s not the case at all. Weir proves he’s not a guy who wrote a lab paper in narrative form. He wrote a narrative using a lab paper.

So our story takes place on a city on the moon. One that’s not exactly as pristine and efficient as 2001: A Space Odyssey would have you believe. In fact, our main character is a smuggler. And she gets involved in a corporate sabotage kind of plot, but more like a heist caper. And she’s a PoC, she’s funny, she swears a lot. In fact, all the characters are dynamic and stand out. (Did Weir engineer this novel with the intention of it becoming a movie? Hm.) It’s intelligent and entertaining this side of Scalzi.

The math and science aren’t completely gone (I don’t think it would be Andy Weir if it wasn’t). It’s more about chemistry and economics, all of which result from living on the moon in a low-gravity, no oxygen environment. And welding. I hope you like welding, because there is a lot of talk about that. ( )
  theWallflower | Feb 14, 2019 |
I am just not a sci-fi fan, okay?
  kat_the_bookcat | Feb 7, 2019 |
This is the story of a girl named Jazz who leaves in the Lunar town of Artemis on the moon. She has lived there since she was 6 years old with her father. She is brilliant but a slacker. She lives in near poverty because she refuses to get a steady job. Right now she moves contraband and does odd jobs for money. She has become friends with a Billionare who wants her to sabotage a Lunar business so that he can take over. It is risky and dangerous, but she wants the money, so she agrees to do it.

The heist starts her down a path that uncovers a conspiracy that has been in the works on Artemis. It puts her life, and the lives of people she loves, in danger. She gets in way over her head, but with the help of her friends she helps to bring down a cartel that could have ruined her existence on the moon forever.

This was a good book. Andy Weir, no doubt, is a great writer. The book is smart, and funny. It isn't a hard read, and it kept me entertained until the end. I didn't want to put it down.

If you read the Martian, read this book. If you didn't read the Martian, read that AND this book. ( )
  JenMat | Jan 10, 2019 |
The great new novel from the author of [b:The Martian|18007564|The Martian|Andy Weir|https://images.gr-assets.com/books/1413706054s/18007564.jpg|21825181]. The old-school hard SF, this time with many more living people, on the moon and with a bit of a detective story.
Of course, many readers compare it to the first novel, which was a kind of a brilliant inventor versus a hostile planet. This time we have a lunar base with population of over 2000 and not a lot of solo survival action, thus it is different. At the same time it is still works with plausible (technologically/scientifically) concepts of a Moon base.
Great read for everyone loving his work!
  Oleksandr_Zholud | Jan 9, 2019 |

Andy Weirprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dawson, RosarioNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Lindroth Inc., DavidMapssecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micheal Collins, Jack Swigert, Stu Roosa, Al Worden, Ken Mattingley and Ron Evans. Because these guys don't get nearly enough credit.
I bounded over the gray, dusty terrain toward the huge dome of Conrad Bubble.

Publisher Annotation: Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself?and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,528,284 books! | Top bar: Always visible