Artemis: A Novel by Andy Weir

Artemis: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Andy Weir (Author)

Member:brodiew2
Title:Artemis: A Novel
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Crown (2017), 320 pages
Collections:Your library, To read

Artemis: A Novel by Andy Weir

ARTEMIS, by Andy Weir, is set on the moon sometime in the near future in a city called Artemis. The colonization and development of a society in Artemis is in many ways in its infancy. Jazz Bashara, the main character, is a porter, delivering items all over the moon and at the same time she is a smuggler and the two vocations work well together. Jazz is well known in Artemis, although that isn't necessarily a good thing. When a chance comes up to change her status on Artemis and right many of her transgressions, Jazz jumps at the chance.
Jazz reminds me of Han Solo, always walking the line of right and wrong, but all the time charming people with her looks and her smart mouth. Also, just like Han Solo, she is a smuggler who stumbles upon a plot much bigger than she is. Weir's creation of this society in the moon is fascinating and detailed and part of the fun of the book is finding out more and more about how the city works while the story unfolds. While some things Weir describes on the moon are hard to understand, without full comprehension of everything technical, the story is still easy to follow. As the plot thickens and the action skyrockets, the reader is hooked and yearns to find out what happens to Jazz and Artemis.
A well though out cast of characters and an exciting sci-fi story makes ARTEMIS thrilling, stimulating read that I recommend to anyone.
Thank you to Crown Publishing, Andy Weir, and Netgalley for a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review! ( )
  EHoward29 | Oct 20, 2017 |
Jazz is a young woman of Saudi heritage who was mostly raised on the moon by her observant Muslim father. She had a falling-out with him and is now living on her own, nonobservant in every possible way, trying to earn enough money for a comfortable existence—mostly by smuggling in high-value goods to sell to the people of Artemis, a development run by a Nigerian state/corporate partnership. When she’s offered a million slugs—a fortune—to do a small sabotage job, little does she know that it will lead to life-altering and life-threatening feats of criminal engineering, requiring her to use every relationship she has as well as her genius-level intelligence to survive. I don’t know if it will strike the same nerve as The Martian, but there’s the same mix of engineering challenges and occasional teamwork; if you wanted to learn about welding in a vacuum, you can here. Jazz seemed tilted towards the hard-boiled noir type, and she’s definitely a geek boy’s fantasy of a hot, smart woman who’s also in need of the love of a good geeky man, but she got to be the protagonist/hero and so I was ok with that. (I’m looking at you, Ready Player One.) I really appreciated the moment she’s in a physical fight with another woman and, when they realize that the bubble they’re in is in danger, they both stop trying to kill each other and switch over to survival/cooperation mode—like real people should and probably would, unlike movie characters. ( )
1 vote rivkat | Oct 18, 2017 |
I loved Andy Weir's previous book The Martian so when I found out about Artemis I immediately went to Netgalley to request it. This book follows Jasmine (Jazz) Bashara who is a porter (and also a smuggler) in Artemis the only city on the moon. Jazz is struggling to make ends meet when someone comes to her with a highly illegal task to do but with a reward too good to pass down. Jazz finds herself pulled into something way bigger and more dangerous than she thought it was.

Jazz was a bit of a mystery to me at first. I was really curious to see how she became a lowly porter. Once her past was laid out I was a bit disappointed. I think that is when I started to like Jazz less and less. She was definitely funny at times but her attitude could be a bit annoying especially since she only had herself to blame for the position she was in.

Sometimes I felt that this was a bit bogged down in too much discussion about pressure and chemicals mixing, basically in science. It is understandable that there would be some discussion about that but it got to be a bit much at times for me.

Overall I did enjoy this book and will definitely be reading more from Andy Weir.

Thanks to Netgalley and the publisher for the galley. ( )
  dpappas | Oct 15, 2017 |
Artemis by Andy Weir is a science fiction book taking place in a tourist colony on the moon. This is the second book by Mr. Weir, the first one was also in the science fiction genre.

Jasmine Bashara, Jazz, is a 26 year old who lived most of her life in a tourist colony on the moon. Jazz is part of the working class that makes the colony run, she works as a porter but has a side business smuggling in goods.

And Jazz is also a genius with a photographic memory. She is hired to pull off a perfect crime with a very rich reward which will set her up on the moon with such luxuries as a bedroom and a private bathroom – but everything goes wrong.

I was looking forward to Andy Weir’s second book since reading The Marian, a wonderful novel where the hero is science. When I had a change to read the first chapter of Artemis I did so the first day and new, almost instantly, that I’d like to read the whole book.

Much like the previous book, this novel takes full advantage of geek culture, and border-line infantile jokes (both of which I enjoyed). But don’t let this dismay you, the science in this book is absolutely fascinating and ranges from overall theories to nuts and bolts (literally, there are whole pages on how valves and welding work in space).

The novel is entertaining, fun and fascinating but I thought the author was trying to do too much which let the suspense get away from me.
What do I mean?
Much of the story revolves around some sort of a fascinating heist, full of scientific knowledge, which has to take place in the harsh conditions of outer space and the moon’s landscape. But somewhere towards the end, the story changes from a simple heist-gone-wrong to a full fledge catastrophe which, ironically enough, takes away the suspense because you know it’s all going to end up well.

The reason we were all rooting for astronaut Mark Watney in The Marian is because he could have died in any moment and that would not have ruined the book or destroyed civilization. Actually Mr. Watney’s death would have no consequences whatsoever with the exception of a deep feeling of sadness for those of us who could not put the book down – now that’s suspense.

Artemis is still a good read though and I’m anxiously waiting for more books from this author. It’s about time we make science a successful hero in America and the world.

For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com ( )
  ZoharLaor | Oct 11, 2017 |
Andy Weir's follow up to The Martian is...interesting. And that's the best thing I can say about it.

Jazz Bashara is 14-year-old Mark Watney in a 26-year-old woman's body, who spends an entire novel wasting her intelligence and skills, getting annoyed by people pointing out that she's wasting her intelligence and skills, and digging herself into a hilariously deep hole in the pursuit of a big pay day because she's guilty about something bad that happened a few years ago while she was in the middle of wasting her intelligence and skills.

At times, Jazz pulls off somewhat impressive schemes, but for the most of the novel, she makes annoyingly amateur mistakes that result in wacky failure montages she barely walks away from intact. And after entering a particularly bad business deal with an obviously shady businessman, she ends up getting involved in a corporate takeover maneuver that goes so wrong and escalates to such unbelievable heights that at some point I wondered if the narrative was going to go "just kidding."

It did not, to my immense disappointment.

Along the way, the narrative throws out a multitude of off-color jokes and weird facets of "moon life" that some people will undoubtedly find offensive and constant not-funny references to Jazz's long list of sexual partners, while simultaneously trying to escalate a plot involving a murderous mob syndicate on the moon.

I say "trying" because it doesn't quite succeed in doing so.

The ending of the book also leaves a lot to be desired because in many ways it resets the status quo, making me wonder why the heck I had to this zany tale to begin with.

To make matters worse, most of the supporting cast come off as little more than caricatures, including a former Canadian Mountie who wears his actual Mountie uniform while performing his security job...on the moon, and a nerdy tech genius who, of course, is an awkward virgin stereotype that can barely talk to women.

While I do give Weir some props for pushing character diversity -- there are a lot of different cultures represented among the Artemis population, and also LGBT characters -- I have to question the effectiveness of doing so in such a silly caper story about a wayward, sarcastic young woman trying to sabotage a moon company through a series of ridiculous hijinks.

I appreciate having a diverse cast, to be sure, but I think if the story was a bit more serious, then that cast could have been better utilized beyond throwaway background information about why different professions tended be dominated by different cultures and the like. It could have made for a really interesting sociopolitical setup, so many different people from different places living in this one little moon city. Alas...

Overall, the setting of Artemis is probably the most interesting thing about it. The premise of a permanent city on the moon, used as a major tourism center, with a highly diverse society and a seedy underbelly primed for major criminal activity, could have made for an excellent novel. Unfortunately, all that potential got drowned out by the author's failed attempt to make a female version of his beloved Martian protagonist, Mark Watney, which dominated the book to such a degree that there's really not much else of substance.

I give Artemis 2.5/5 stars, for being amusing at times but ultimately lackluster at its conclusion.

[NOTE: I received an ARC of this title from the publisher via NetGalley.] ( )
  TherinKnite | Oct 8, 2017 |

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,643,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible