Artemis by Andy Weir

Artemis (edition 2017)

by Andy Weir (Author)

"Jazz Bashara is a criminal. Well, sort of. Life on Artemis, the first and only city on the moon, is tough if you're not a rich tourist or an eccentric billionaire. So smuggling in the occasional harmless bit of contraband barely counts, right? Not when you've got debts to pay and your job as a porter barely covers the rent. Everything changes when Jazz sees the chance to commit the perfect crime, with a reward too lucrative to turn down. But pulling off the impossible is just the start of her problems, as she learns that she's stepped square into a conspiracy for control of Artemis itself--and that now, her only chance at survival lies in a gambit even riskier than the first" -- summary from author's web page.… (more)
Member:pva
Title:Artemis
Authors:Andy Weir (Author)
Info:Del Rey (2017), Edition: 01, 320 pages
Collections:Your library, Read but unowned

Artemis by Andy Weir

Recently added byCK31, SigWisely, private library, Vanjo, Thymemaster, topper10s, MFam, SheilaDeeth, lexxa83
    The Rook by Daniel O'Malley (bethd13)
    bethd13: Both books are fast paced and lots of snarky humor. Love the intelligent, strong, female characters!

English (164)  Hungarian (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (167)
Author Andy Weir imagined danger on Mars with absorbing conviction in The Martian. In Artemis he turns his blend of science and fiction to the moon, imagining a thoroughly convincing near-future lunar colony, adding social science to physical science and peopling the mix with great characters, science-based mystery, and dangerous plot. The female narrator’s voice is pitch perfect, her sense of self is hauntingly real, and her environment is vividly believable. She’s not always right (and neither are her friends), but she’s always determined, and she hides a well-placed honesty behind her schemes and seeming need. Besides, who wouldn’t need more if their living space were the size of a coffin!

Clever science, compelling imagination, and a great plot make this another really enjoyable read – very different from the Martian because there’s more plot and more characters; but every bit as good.

Disclosure: My husband enjoyed it too, and he likes his science real. ( )
  SheilaDeeth | Sep 19, 2019 |
Artemis is a standalone science fiction novel by Andy Weir, author of The Martian. Although I managed to go into this without knowing much about the story, I’ve seen/skimmed a lot of reviews for it when they hit my feed, so I did have some preconceptions from that. My impression was that most people didn’t like this as well as The Martian, and that many people thought the main character was unlikeable. I agree with both of those things, but I think being prepared for it helped because I still enjoyed the story.

Artemis is set in a small colony on the moon. The main character, Jazz, has made a lot of bad decisions in her youth and is barely scraping by financially. She’s smart, but she doesn’t use her intelligence in any rational way, and most of her money is earned by smuggling. Somebody offers her a large amount of money to do something illegal, she accepts, and that’s what kicks off the main story. It’s mostly an adventure story with a hint of mystery and a small dose of palatable, easy-to-understand-and-believe science.

I can see why people disliked Jazz. This is one of those books where the story owes its existence to the stupid decisions made by the main character. That usually annoys me, and it annoyed me a little bit in this book too. For a character who is supposed to be intelligent, her life choices were stupid. There were also a few times when I correctly predicted something bad that would happen as a result of something she had overlooked or forgotten, things that seemed obvious to me. Because of this, I never really bought into the idea of her being smart. It felt more like a gimmick to explain how she could quickly come up with creative, science-based solutions to various problems.

Even though I had issues with the main character, I did enjoy the story. It was on the light side, it was pretty different from anything I’ve read recently, and it was a quick read. (Yeah, I know, it took me 6 days to read it, but I had very little reading time during those 6 days.) It held my interest well, and sometimes it made me laugh, although the humor is admittedly pretty immature. I agree that The Martian was better, especially in terms of a likeable main character, but I think it helped that it had been 3 years since I read that book plus I had already heard enough to lower my expectations. I’m giving it 3.5 stars and rounding up to 4 on Goodreads for entertainment value. ( )
1 vote YouKneeK | Sep 14, 2019 |
Trying to be a thriller but just not quite there. The science fiction aspects of it like how a colony on the moon might work were well done (as you would expect from Andy Weir). ( )
  brakketh | Sep 3, 2019 |
This is the second novel by the author of The Martian, (which has now made into a film starring Matt Damon). This one is set on the Moon, some time in the late 21st century (there are references to the original lunar landings as having taken place a little over a century before). In Artemis, the sole lunar city, Jazz is a low paid worker making money on the side through smuggling in small goods (no drugs or guns, though). Through one of her contacts, she is enticed into involvement in a much bigger crime, one that will allow her contact to take control of much of the Moon's economy from the company that supplies oxygen (and that turns out to be controlled by a Brazilian crime syndicate). Needless to say, the plan goes belly up and Jazz and her friends (and some not so much friends) risk their lives to overcome the unforeseen consequences of their actions. I enjoyed this story and there was a genuine sense of peril and a race against time. I liked Jazz, and the sense of a multi-faceted community forming on the Moon, and would like to read more stories against this background. ( )
  john257hopper | Aug 25, 2019 |
Would have been four stars if not for the 7th grade-level sex humor. It really feels like Andy Weir thought having a female narrator gave him cover to write some pretty gross jokes. Like the “blow two at a time” joke or the fact that half the characters in the book find creative ways to call the main character a whore and her reply to one of the worst was props for a sick burn.

I also found it unnecessary to point out that a relationship with a 14 year old was consensual and therefore OK in this fictional world.

So: skip it unless you think it’s funny to call women whores or that the narrator (but not the author) being female is a good enough excuse. ( )
  noah.richards | Aug 4, 2019 |

Lindroth, DavidCartographersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Madejski, RadosławTłUmaczenie.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Pietermann, GabrielleSprechersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Staehle, WillCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Micheal Collins, Jack Swigert, Stu Roosa, Al Worden, Ken Mattingley and Ron Evans. Because these guys don't get nearly enough credit.
I bounded over the gray, dusty terrain toward the huge dome of Conrad Bubble.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,200,812 books! | Top bar: Always visible