Check out the Valentine’s Day Heart Hunt!

The Walls by Hollie Overton

The Walls

by Hollie Overton

378444,150 (4)10

When single mother Kristy Tucker meets Lance Dobson, she thinks he is a great guy and quickly falls for him. Soon, the two get married and start their life together. But it doesn’t take long for Kristy to find out that Lance isn’t the man she thought he was. She begins living in her own personal hell and sees no way out.

Kristy works in a prison, scheduling press interviews and interviewing murderers herself on a daily basis. She begins to wonder just how far she may go to free herself from the evil inside her own home.

I was thoroughly satisfied with this novel. It kept me on the edge of my seat the entire time and I couldn’t put it down. It makes you question what you would do when faced with an impossible situation.

I received and advance copy of this novel from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  NikkiK94 | Mar 21, 2018 |
Disclaimer: I received a copy of the book for review.

Just another abused woman thinks she has no options except to murder abuser to protect family story. ( )
  seitherin | Mar 6, 2018 |
I've had Baby Doll by Hollie Overton on my TBR list for awhile now (I still don't know why I haven't read it yet), so I was truly stoked when I won a copy of her latest book The Walls in a recent Goodreads giveaway. Then, like so many books I have on my tablet, I kind of forgot about it until I received an email asking my thoughts on the books. I decided to put aside a few other books I needed to read and began reading The Walls. I wish I could say I read it in one sitting, but I can't (I was invited to a local reception for Dr. Carla Hayden, the Librarian of Congress, so you know where I was yesterday afternoon). Then yesterday's migraine ramped up to killer migraine level and that was it. Fortunately, I woke up early today and finished reading The Walls in just a few hours.

OMG! What an amazing read. Ms. Overton takes us behind-the-scenes of prison life with Kristy Tucker Dobson as a Public Information Officer in the state prison system. We're then taken behind closed doors of a marriage filled with physical, mental, and emotional abuse. As with most cases of spousal abuse, there's no rhyme or reason to the abuse just the perceived slights in the mind of the abuser. This book was so aptly titled, because not only is one of the state's death-row prisons nicknamed "The Walls" but also because Kristy is stuck behind "the walls" or veneer of her seemingly picture-perfect marriage with her beloved husband. The Walls was an intense read and may not be suitable for everyone because of its themes. I, for one, am grateful to have received a copy of this book and oh-so-glad that I made time to read it. Now, I need to find time to read Baby Doll.

[I received a free copy of this book in exchange for a fair and honest review.] ( )
  BookDivasReads | Feb 23, 2018 |
Kristy Tucker is a single mum who works as a public information officer for the Texas Department of Criminal Justice. It is her job to act as a go between to the prisoners on death row and the interest of the local media and press. Her work is relentless and as a single parent to Ryan and a carer for her dad "Pops" she has little free time. When Ryan has difficulties at school he receives encouragement and support from Lance Dobson his martial arts instructor. When Kristy is introduced to Lance she begins to believe that this strong handsome man may indeed become a future partner and a much needed stabilizing influence to Ryan. The relationship with Lance soon develops into one of terror, abuse and violence as this supposedly charming individual tries to influence and control every facet of Kristy's life.

This is superbly written story that attempts to show the reader what daily life is like in an abusive relationship. To everyone, apart from Kristy, Lance Dobson is charming and graceful but only she knows the truth and the question is what if anything can she do? The prisoners and inmates feel trapped behind "The Walls" and soon Kristy will come to realize that she, by meeting Lance, has unexpectedly built her own walls from which there appears no escape. Hollie Overton presents difficult issues in a fast and flowing writing style making a very addictive read and one that I completed in two sittings. Highly Recommended. ( )
  runner56 | Dec 27, 2017 |
The Walls is one of the hardest books this year for me to review because I've had a hard time fully accepting the storyline. But, at the same time was it awfully thrilling to read when everything started to happen. To be honest, did I right from the start feel some hesitancy towards this book. The blurb gives away way too much of the plot, and it was pretty obvious what would happen. And, I just didn't connect at first with the story and its characters. But, I loved Baby Doll, the author's debut novel so, despite not feeling the same intriguing feeling towards this book as I did when I read Baby Doll did I decide to carry on reading to see where the story would take me.

As I wrote previously is the blurb way too revealing. You know pretty much half the book just by reading it. And, that's why it took so long time for me to really get into the book. It got better when Kristy started to investigate Lance background and at the same time starting to plan a way out of her marriage. To be honest, was I amazed that she didn't try to tell anyone (besides the most unlikely person) about her situation or in some way try to gather evidence towards her husband. Instead, did she start to think of a way to get rid of him, permanently. Felt a bit drastic. However, I can't deny that it made the last book nail-biting thrilling to read. Would she, in the end, do it? Could she really do it? I will leave it there and just say that this part of the book was my favorite part, it felt like I breezed through the pages in my pursuit of knowing what would happen at the end.

The Walls prove that Hollie Overton is here to stay. With Doll baby did she spellbind me, and with The Walls did she prove that even though the plot is pretty obvious is the writing so good that I ended the book, not 100% sure if I liked the book or not (it was very, very late and my emotions were all over the place), but at the same time did it hook me completely. I mean, there are things that bothered, besides the issues I've written about, but darn it, I must admit that the thrilling aspects of the last half of the book overrule that. Now, I can't for Overton to write something else to spellbind me.

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

"For fans of The Girl on the Train, The Walls is the most twisted thriller you will read this year. What if you could get away with murder? Single mom Kristy Tucker works as a press agent for the Texas Department of Corrections -- handling everything on death row from inmate interviews to chronicling the last moments during an execution. Her job exposes Kristy to the worst of humanity, and it's one that's beginning to take its toll. So when Kristy meets Lance Dobson, her son's martial arts instructor, she believes she has finally found her happy ending. She's wrong. Kristy soon discovers that Lance is a monster. Forced to endure his verbal and physical abuse, Kristy is serving her own life sentence ... unless she's willing to take matters into her hands. Perfectly poised to exploit the criminal justice system she knows so well, Kristy sets out to get rid of Lance -- permanently. The Walls explores domestic violence, the morality of murder, and how far one woman will go to protect her family"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,441,988 books! | Top bar: Always visible