Penguin Island by Anatole France

Penguin Island (1908)

by Anatole France

6591420,812 (3.62)1 / 37

English (13)  Finnish (1)  All languages (14)
I was very disappointed in this satire. The reviews I read made it sound hilarious. It wasn't. It was very dry and hard to get into. The Pyrot Affair was the best part as a condemnation of the justice system and a look at the mob mentality. I'm not sorry I read it, but I wouldn't go out of my way to read it again, or read anything else by France. I would give it 2-1/2 stars given the option. ( )
  AliceAnna | Aug 13, 2014 |
An episodic satire about the penguin who were baptized by a half-blind priest and therefore granted human soul and form. Based on mostly the french history sadly I didn't get most of the inner jokes but still a funny twisted work about the past and the future of human history.... ( )
  TheCrow2 | Sep 24, 2013 |
Anatole France is proving to be one of my favorite authors. In Penguin Island, he pokes fun at human civilization through satirically inventing a new race of people out of penguins baptized by a blind priest. As he traces their history, I was quite taken with how prophetic France was; many of his clever teases still hold true today. And France knows how to end a book. This is the second time my overall opinion of the entirety was increased upon reading the last few sentences (just like The Revolt of the Angels). France is an unfortunately forgotten master of satire that really needs to be re-introduced. His work is just splendid. ( )
  WildcatJF | Jul 3, 2013 |
This is a wonderfully witty and thought-provoking novel that presents the history of the state of Pingouinie as an allegorical story of (mostly French) history. Reading the original French is definitely recommended as France's command of language is second to none, and his nuanced text proves a delight to read. While I know enough French history to pick up on many of the allusions, I am sure there are many more that would meet a more discerning eye, but there is much that is also a commentary on society in general. The book ends with a poignantly apocalyptic vision of the future that is, in many ways, the most beautiful and heart-rending part of the book, and rings even more true now, 103 years after it was written. ( )
  Deinonychus | Nov 3, 2011 |
There is a risk with topical writing. The section "Modern times" builds on events that were current or recent at the time of writing, and today we remember only a vague reflection of a shadow of them -- and some perhaps were not terribly notable outside France anyway.

In general, Anatole France is portraying the follies, aggrandishments, vanities, and futilities of humanity through the ages with surprisingly small amount of caricature and satirising; the effect, however, is pretty strong still.

The work is episodic in nature, so it fits well with the modern short attention span; it can be faced in small spurts. ( )
  ari.joki | Oct 25, 2010 |

Anatole Franceprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cameron, MalcolmIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mael, a scion of the royal family of Cambria, was sent in his ninth year to the Abbey of Yvern so that he might there study both sacred and profane learning.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 146621693X, Paperback)

This anthology is a thorough introduction to classic literature for those who have not yet experienced these literary masterworks. For those who have known and loved these works in the past, this is an invitation to reunite with old friends in a fresh new format. From Shakespeare s finesse to Oscar Wilde s wit, this unique collection brings together works as diverse and influential as The Pilgrim s Progress and Othello. As an anthology that invites readers to immerse themselves in the masterpieces of the literary giants, it is must-have addition to any library.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:58 -0400)

This 1908 satire of human nature and culture—including a famous episode inspired by the Dreyfus affair—concerns an island of great auks whose avian inhabitants, mistakenly baptized by a nearsighted missionary, are transformed into human beings by God, who is eager to rectify the embarrassing error.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,010,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible