The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires,…

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Rachel Caine

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2)
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2007), Edition: 1st Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine

English (65)  Piratical (1)  All languages (66)
This second volume in the Morganville series packed just as much intense action as the first. Now there is more to worry about than just the vampires in the town. Claire, in what's become her usual way, is rushing around trying to save the day for everyone. Michael is struggling with what he is and how much that prevents him from helping. Eve falls apart a bit and then goes to extremes. We do see more of Oliver, and Amelie and we meet a new and very important vampire who I predict will be a major part of the series from here on in. As with the first book, they narrowly escape with their lives and just when you think it's all over, we get a new dilemma at the end of the book and leave with a cliffhanger. Rest easy though readers, the cliffhanger in this book was not nearly as dramatic as the one at the end of Glass Houses. Definitely a series I will continue to read, and if you like vampire books, you should too! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
GENERAL SPOILERS

I bought this, and the next volume, on the strength of Glass Houses. The series seemed to offer a sinister setting, some fun and intriguing characters, and a promising thriller-action-adventure plot that was a bit less camp than Buffy.

Unfortunately, this volume throws all that out of the window and pulls a bait-and-switch, dramatically changing the type of story it seemed to be telling.

A cool plot point from the first volume (concerning the precise nature of a certain character) fizzles out when they just get turned into a vampire. The tone drops from tense-but-adventurous to full-blown grimdark. A serial killer brother! Torture! Burning alive! Parents who sell their kids into sexual abuse! Traumatic backstories for everyone!

I didn't sign up for this. I signed up for plucky heroines, tense encounters with vampires, and teenage espionage antics. If I wanted traumatic backstories I'd have gone to the Litfic section.

There was probably some good stuff in there as well, but frankly it lived in vain. I'm pretty sure I did finish this one, but I remember only the feeling of betrayal. ( )
  Shimmin | Jan 9, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this book, can't wait to get my hands on the next one! ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
This girl is just insane. I remember how I was when I was a teenage but I don't think I had life threatening situations to contend with on a day to day basis. I feel bad that such a young but brilliant girl has to deal with these. The more and more I read about Morganville the more and more I wonder why in the hell everyone doesn't' just pack it up, get out, and stay out. Why would you want to stay in a Vampire feeding ground when there were so many other places to live. But...if the heroine left the town then we would have no story at all.

I really hated Shane in this book. I had originally though he was a much stronger character than to let his Dad push him around but, I don't know much about father/son dynamics so I could be totally wrong. On that note, I hate Shane's dad too. I mean, I can understand his need for revenge but at the expense of killing his son's friends and people he cares about. Not worth it man. On that note Rachel Caine sure knows how to throw a punch at the reader in this book. She is totally not afraid to torture her characters and it shows in this book. Poor Claire goes through so much in such a short period of time, it is horrifying. I also still hate Monica for the record.

I think the plot was pretty good. it lagged a bit in the middle but it soon picked right back up. I think that I will continue reading this series just to see if poor Claire gets the good karma she has been wracking up since book one. Whew. This book will keep you shocked and on edge, I can guarantee you that.

rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
So this is the second book in the series, and it was just as good as the first. I listened to this book by way of my phone, which is how I’m able to read and sew at the same time. So this time, not only does Claire and the gang have to fight the vampires and Monica and her goon squad, they also have to deal with Shane’s crazy crazy (yes he warranted two crazies) father. I still can’t really stand how immature Claire is, but it does go along with the character being younger than normal for college. I love the series though. My favorite part of the book is what happens to Michael. If you want to know what it is, then you will have to read it. I won’t tell what happens. It is a major part of the story line. Considering the name of the book, the dance is a very very small portion of the story, and not even that important. So I give this book 4 stars. I still like the series a lot. ( )
  nsmith529 | Jun 18, 2015 |
For Ter, who helped lay the cornerstone of Morganville.
For Katy, who helped me through the plot jitters!
It didn't happen, Claire told herself.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this publication book may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic mechanical, photocopying, recording, or ortherwise), without the prior written permission of both the copyright owner and the above publisher of this book.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters,places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

The publisher does not have any control over and assumes no responsibility for author or third party Web sites or their content.

The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the Internet or via any other means without the permission of the publisher is illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated.

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451220897, Mass Market Paperback)

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:12 -0400)

When Claire Danvers and her equally outcast best friend Eve are invited to the annual Dead Girls' Dance at a fraternity, all hell breaks loose when the living group party with the dead group in a town rampant with bloodthirsty vampires.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,752,978 books! | Top bar: Always visible