HomeGroupsTalkZeitgeist
Hide this

Results from Google Books

Click on a thumbnail to go to Google Books.

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires,…
Loading...

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Rachel Caine

MembersReviewsPopularityAverage ratingMentions
1,696674,206 (3.9)58
Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2)
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2007), Edition: 1st Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Collections:Your library
Rating:*****
Tags:None

Work details

The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

None.

Loading...

Sign up for LibraryThing to find out whether you'll like this book.

No current Talk conversations about this book.

» See also 58 mentions

English (66)  Piratical (1)  All (67)
Showing 1-5 of 66 (next | show all)
Assolutamente migliore del primo, le cose sembrano prendere una pessima piega in questo secondo romanzo della Saga dei Vampiri di Morganville, per Claire&Co. Molti nodi vengono sciolti e le informazioni finalmente fluiscono libere fra le prime pagine del romanzo, salvo poi bloccarsi ancora mentre, accanto a queste "verità ritrovate", scopriamo molti altri punti oscuri che ribaltano nuovamente tutte le carte in tavola.

Decisamente con più azione, più suspance e più intrighi, l'arrivo del padre di Shane a Morganville getterà gli abitanti della casa (e non solo) nel caos. L'improvvisa uccisione di Micheal, la cattura di Shane per aver ucciso un altro vampiro importante di Morganville che potrebbe costargli la vita, Claire che incontrerà il ragazzo giusto per lei (almeno apparentemente) e Eve che deve vedersela anche con i fantasmi del suo passato oltre che, ovviamente, con quello del suo presente che tende a volerla manipolare un po' troppo spesso (seppur con buone intenzioni) e che finirà per far scattare il caratterino tutto pepe della ragazza.

E molto, molto altro ancora. I fatti e gli eventi si susseguono ad un ritmo incessante coinvolgendo definitivamente il lettore in maniera praticamente assoluta. Non riusciamo comunque a scoprire fin dove vuole spingersi l'autrice, l'unica alternativa è leggere, leggere e leggere.

Claire sembra finalmente uscire dal bozzolo nel quale si era autoreclusa con la scusante di essere "piccola". Eve perde parte della sua sfacciataggine e finisce per diventare molto più umana di quanto potevamo aspettarci e Micheal... Michael cercherà di fare del suo meglio per se stesso e per gli abitanti della casa che sono ormai membri della sua famiglia.

E se in tutto questo aggiungiamo anche una lotta decennale fra i due vampiri più vecchi e importanti di Morganville le cose non possono che precipitare, no?

La quarta di copertina delinea una trama, ahimè, ricca di imprecisioni ma, questa volta, la copertina - rimasta invariata rispetto all'originale - è leggermente più "matura" del primo romanzo che ci lascia ben sperare nei confronti dei prossimi volumi.

Anche il titolo ha "leggermente" più senso, anche se la prima idea "La Danza della Ragazza Morta" era più appropriato e fedele al titolo originale. A essere sinceri sarebbe stato più intelligente lasciare fin dal principio tutti i titoli originali, ma sappiamo bene come vanno le cose in Italia.

Il prezzo del romanzo è stato aumentato di 1€ e questo ci lascia vagamente preoccupati nello sperare che ciò non riaccada a ogni nuovo romanzo. Decisamente migliore la traduzione, almeno per quello che ho potuto constatare. ( )
  Nasreen44 | Jun 8, 2017 |
This book starts right up where the first book ended. It ended in such a cliff hanger I have no idea how I managed to go a full year without picking up the second.

What I didn't like....Now normally I would start out by posting the positive but today I am going to do just the opposite and start out with what I didn't like. I thought the beginning started pretty slow. It does start off where the cliff hanger ending of book 1 ended but it almost felt as if after the big bang the story came off of an adrenaline rush and crashed a bit. It wasn't until about half way through that things picked up. They picked up in almost a breakneck speed actually which can be good but also bad. Bad is if so many things are happening so fast the reader might get lost a bit in the shuffle. This actually happened to me once or twice and I had to go back and read a page or two because I kept missing things like "Claire jumped out of the car" and wondered how she ended up in the house when she was just driving. These things are technically minor and probably my own fault. Not only was the storyline taking off at breakneck speed I found I was reading at breakneck speed to keep up with the action.
Also one of the players in the 1st book indirectly affected one of the plots in this book (I don't want to go into great detail as to not spoil this book for those who haven't read it) and for the life of me I couldn't recall this player at all from the first book. Caine actually does do a good job in reminding the reader of specifics without completely spoiling the book for people who read series books out of order but to me the dude was really minor and it was hard for me to accept that he could change the lives of Claire and her roommates so drastically.
The title is misleading. Yes there is an event called The Dead Girls' Dance. Yes it took place within the book. But it wasn't a major event. It took up all of one chapter if that. Claire and Eve head to a frat party to see if they could get some info from a vampire they knew would be there and a new plot emerges which really doesn't tie in to the main one at all. I kind of felt as if I were reading two different books about the same cast of characters.
These books are definitely written to be a series. You really can't pick a random one up and enjoy it for it's own storyline. I think reading them in order is a must too. As I mentioned Caine does a great job of filling the reader in without spoiling the complete first book but there are some things that would be spoiled anyway so you really need to read these in order.

What I liked.....
Despite that it originally felt like none of the characters grew or matured, after finishing and reflecting I decided that they really did. Claire is still young but you see that she emerges more spunky and doesn't completely feel like a little girl playing dress up. Eve has always seemed pretty deep and we get a little more background on her life before moving into Glass House with the group. She sometimes seems young and easily upset and other times she takes control of the situation to help Claire through things. Shane's character also reveals more depth and additional background that helps Claire and the reader understand him more. Michael's character perhaps makes some of the most drastic changes. I am not sure if his changes are for the best or not but that is part of any series character's charms.
The last half of the book really pushed the book up from average to good. The action (although at times I had a hard time keeping up) was seriously there to keep my on the edge of my seat. The conflict between good and evil was there and the lines were completely blurred as to who was on what team which was very intriguing. Baddies from the first book might actually prove to be not so bad in the second which is an interesting concept.
I thought the ending was OK. It certainly wasn't much of a cliff hanger (thank goodness because I totally hated that!) but we as readers were definitely wondering what Claire would do next.

So, overall 4 stars. Not as good as The Glass House but definitely a good read.
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
This second volume in the Morganville series packed just as much intense action as the first. Now there is more to worry about than just the vampires in the town. Claire, in what's become her usual way, is rushing around trying to save the day for everyone. Michael is struggling with what he is and how much that prevents him from helping. Eve falls apart a bit and then goes to extremes. We do see more of Oliver, and Amelie and we meet a new and very important vampire who I predict will be a major part of the series from here on in. As with the first book, they narrowly escape with their lives and just when you think it's all over, we get a new dilemma at the end of the book and leave with a cliffhanger. Rest easy though readers, the cliffhanger in this book was not nearly as dramatic as the one at the end of Glass Houses. Definitely a series I will continue to read, and if you like vampire books, you should too! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
GENERAL SPOILERS

I bought this, and the next volume, on the strength of Glass Houses. The series seemed to offer a sinister setting, some fun and intriguing characters, and a promising thriller-action-adventure plot that was a bit less camp than Buffy.

Unfortunately, this volume throws all that out of the window and pulls a bait-and-switch, dramatically changing the type of story it seemed to be telling.

A cool plot point from the first volume (concerning the precise nature of a certain character) fizzles out when they just get turned into a vampire. The tone drops from tense-but-adventurous to full-blown grimdark. A serial killer brother! Torture! Burning alive! Parents who sell their kids into sexual abuse! Traumatic backstories for everyone!

I didn't sign up for this. I signed up for plucky heroines, tense encounters with vampires, and teenage espionage antics. If I wanted traumatic backstories I'd have gone to the Litfic section.

There was probably some good stuff in there as well, but frankly it lived in vain. I'm pretty sure I did finish this one, but I remember only the feeling of betrayal. ( )
  Shimmin | Jan 9, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this book, can't wait to get my hands on the next one! ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
Showing 1-5 of 66 (next | show all)
no reviews | add a review
You must log in to edit Common Knowledge data.
For more help see the Common Knowledge help page.
Series (with order)
Canonical title
Original title
Alternative titles
Original publication date
People/Characters
Important places
Important events
Related movies
Awards and honors
Epigraph
Dedication
For Ter, who helped lay the cornerstone of Morganville.
For Katy, who helped me through the plot jitters!
First words
It didn't happen, Claire told herself.
Quotations
Last words
(Click to show. Warning: May contain spoilers.)
Disambiguation notice
Publisher's editors
Blurbers
Publisher series
Original language

References to this work on external resources.

Wikipedia in English (4)

Book description
Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.
Haiku summary

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451220897, Mass Market Paperback)

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:12 -0400)

(see all 3 descriptions)

When Claire Danvers and her equally outcast best friend Eve are invited to the annual Dead Girls' Dance at a fraternity, all hell breaks loose when the living group party with the dead group in a town rampant with bloodthirsty vampires.

(summary from another edition)

» see all 5 descriptions

Quick Links

Swap Ebooks Audio
46 avail.
141 wanted
1 pay

Popular covers

Rating

Average: (3.9)
0.5
1 3
1.5
2 27
2.5 8
3 118
3.5 34
4 217
4.5 15
5 147

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

» Publisher information page

Penguin Australia

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

» Publisher information page

Is this you?

Become a LibraryThing Author.

 

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,064,707 books! | Top bar: Always visible