The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires,…

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Rachel Caine

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2)
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2007), Edition: 1st Printing, Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages
Rating:*****

The Dead Girls' Dance by Rachel Caine

English (65)  Piratical (1)  All (66)
This book starts right up where the first book ended. It ended in such a cliff hanger I have no idea how I managed to go a full year without picking up the second.

What I didn't like....Now normally I would start out by posting the positive but today I am going to do just the opposite and start out with what I didn't like. I thought the beginning started pretty slow. It does start off where the cliff hanger ending of book 1 ended but it almost felt as if after the big bang the story came off of an adrenaline rush and crashed a bit. It wasn't until about half way through that things picked up. They picked up in almost a breakneck speed actually which can be good but also bad. Bad is if so many things are happening so fast the reader might get lost a bit in the shuffle. This actually happened to me once or twice and I had to go back and read a page or two because I kept missing things like "Claire jumped out of the car" and wondered how she ended up in the house when she was just driving. These things are technically minor and probably my own fault. Not only was the storyline taking off at breakneck speed I found I was reading at breakneck speed to keep up with the action.
Also one of the players in the 1st book indirectly affected one of the plots in this book (I don't want to go into great detail as to not spoil this book for those who haven't read it) and for the life of me I couldn't recall this player at all from the first book. Caine actually does do a good job in reminding the reader of specifics without completely spoiling the book for people who read series books out of order but to me the dude was really minor and it was hard for me to accept that he could change the lives of Claire and her roommates so drastically.
The title is misleading. Yes there is an event called The Dead Girls' Dance. Yes it took place within the book. But it wasn't a major event. It took up all of one chapter if that. Claire and Eve head to a frat party to see if they could get some info from a vampire they knew would be there and a new plot emerges which really doesn't tie in to the main one at all. I kind of felt as if I were reading two different books about the same cast of characters.
These books are definitely written to be a series. You really can't pick a random one up and enjoy it for it's own storyline. I think reading them in order is a must too. As I mentioned Caine does a great job of filling the reader in without spoiling the complete first book but there are some things that would be spoiled anyway so you really need to read these in order.

What I liked.....
Despite that it originally felt like none of the characters grew or matured, after finishing and reflecting I decided that they really did. Claire is still young but you see that she emerges more spunky and doesn't completely feel like a little girl playing dress up. Eve has always seemed pretty deep and we get a little more background on her life before moving into Glass House with the group. She sometimes seems young and easily upset and other times she takes control of the situation to help Claire through things. Shane's character also reveals more depth and additional background that helps Claire and the reader understand him more. Michael's character perhaps makes some of the most drastic changes. I am not sure if his changes are for the best or not but that is part of any series character's charms.
The last half of the book really pushed the book up from average to good. The action (although at times I had a hard time keeping up) was seriously there to keep my on the edge of my seat. The conflict between good and evil was there and the lines were completely blurred as to who was on what team which was very intriguing. Baddies from the first book might actually prove to be not so bad in the second which is an interesting concept.
I thought the ending was OK. It certainly wasn't much of a cliff hanger (thank goodness because I totally hated that!) but we as readers were definitely wondering what Claire would do next.

So, overall 4 stars. Not as good as The Glass House but definitely a good read.
  ChristinaT. | Dec 3, 2016 |
This second volume in the Morganville series packed just as much intense action as the first. Now there is more to worry about than just the vampires in the town. Claire, in what's become her usual way, is rushing around trying to save the day for everyone. Michael is struggling with what he is and how much that prevents him from helping. Eve falls apart a bit and then goes to extremes. We do see more of Oliver, and Amelie and we meet a new and very important vampire who I predict will be a major part of the series from here on in. As with the first book, they narrowly escape with their lives and just when you think it's all over, we get a new dilemma at the end of the book and leave with a cliffhanger. Rest easy though readers, the cliffhanger in this book was not nearly as dramatic as the one at the end of Glass Houses. Definitely a series I will continue to read, and if you like vampire books, you should too! ( )
  MynTop | Apr 8, 2016 |
GENERAL SPOILERS

I bought this, and the next volume, on the strength of Glass Houses. The series seemed to offer a sinister setting, some fun and intriguing characters, and a promising thriller-action-adventure plot that was a bit less camp than Buffy.

Unfortunately, this volume throws all that out of the window and pulls a bait-and-switch, dramatically changing the type of story it seemed to be telling.

A cool plot point from the first volume (concerning the precise nature of a certain character) fizzles out when they just get turned into a vampire. The tone drops from tense-but-adventurous to full-blown grimdark. A serial killer brother! Torture! Burning alive! Parents who sell their kids into sexual abuse! Traumatic backstories for everyone!

I didn't sign up for this. I signed up for plucky heroines, tense encounters with vampires, and teenage espionage antics. If I wanted traumatic backstories I'd have gone to the Litfic section.

There was probably some good stuff in there as well, but frankly it lived in vain. I'm pretty sure I did finish this one, but I remember only the feeling of betrayal. ( )
  Shimmin | Jan 9, 2016 |
Really enjoyed this book, can't wait to get my hands on the next one! ( )
  jadedlioness | Dec 29, 2015 |
This girl is just insane. I remember how I was when I was a teenage but I don't think I had life threatening situations to contend with on a day to day basis. I feel bad that such a young but brilliant girl has to deal with these. The more and more I read about Morganville the more and more I wonder why in the hell everyone doesn't' just pack it up, get out, and stay out. Why would you want to stay in a Vampire feeding ground when there were so many other places to live. But...if the heroine left the town then we would have no story at all.

I really hated Shane in this book. I had originally though he was a much stronger character than to let his Dad push him around but, I don't know much about father/son dynamics so I could be totally wrong. On that note, I hate Shane's dad too. I mean, I can understand his need for revenge but at the expense of killing his son's friends and people he cares about. Not worth it man. On that note Rachel Caine sure knows how to throw a punch at the reader in this book. She is totally not afraid to torture her characters and it shows in this book. Poor Claire goes through so much in such a short period of time, it is horrifying. I also still hate Monica for the record.

I think the plot was pretty good. it lagged a bit in the middle but it soon picked right back up. I think that I will continue reading this series just to see if poor Claire gets the good karma she has been wracking up since book one. Whew. This book will keep you shocked and on edge, I can guarantee you that.

rosetyper9 | Nov 12, 2015 |
For Ter, who helped lay the cornerstone of Morganville.
For Katy, who helped me through the plot jitters!
It didn't happen, Claire told herself.

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451220897, Mass Market Paperback)

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:12 -0400)

When Claire Danvers and her equally outcast best friend Eve are invited to the annual Dead Girls' Dance at a fraternity, all hell breaks loose when the living group party with the dead group in a town rampant with bloodthirsty vampires.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,827,148 books! | Top bar: Always visible