The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville…

The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2) (edition 2007)

by Rachel Caine

Member:LisaWalsh
Title:The Dead Girls' Dance (Morganville Vampires, Book 2)
Authors:Rachel Caine
Info:NAL Jam (2007), Mass Market Paperback, 256 pages

The Dead Girl's Dance by Rachel Caine

2008 (7) 2009 (6) college (17) ebook (22) fantasy (63) fiction (64) friendship (6) ghosts (18) horror (14) Kindle (8) Morganville (19) Morganville Vampires (37) morganville vampires series (17) own (13) paperback (6) paranormal (51) rachel caine (10) read (25) read in 2011 (7) romance (18) series (33) supernatural (18) teen (17) Texas (10) to-read (22) unread (9) urban fantasy (62) vampires (203) YA (75) young adult (76)

The books from this series read like a good bowl of popcorn - I read a page and I want another, then another, and another, etc. I flew through this book in less than 3 days, which is really saying something for a mother of two girls under the age of 3. I like how unlikely of a heroine Claire is, and yet she keeps "saving the day." The majority of the characters are well-defined and distinguishable from one another, and I find myself even liking some of the "bad guys" sometimes, which indicates good character development. The plot flows easily and quickly, and I could barely tell I was reading.
I love the comraderie between the characters in the Glass house, and the way they are amassing allies with other people in Morganville brings to mind a favorite television show of mine that has been off the air for awhile, Buffy the Vampire Slayer. I was not a fan of Michael becoming a vampire - I think that the author could have conceived of a less-cliche way of fixing his half-existence / entrapment. On the other hand, I can see how his new status can be used in future books to further the plot, and his romance with Eve will certainly be interesting, as vampire-human romances always are.
I also enjoy the except of Eve's diary that always follows the main text, as a window into the next book. Eve's character is just as interesting and complex as Claire herself, but does not seem to have as much time devoted to her in the books, and the diary entries seem to help in that area.
So overall I loved the book, and can't wait to get my hands on the next one, Midnight Alley.

JacobsBeloved | Nov 25, 2013 |
The Good: There is so much going on in such a short book. We get to know just about everything about Micheal's background, as well as dealing with all the drama revolving around Shane's vampire killing dad. Claire's seeming to settle in to Morganville a bit better and understanding how this little part of the world works.

The Bad: There was a seriously messed up potential gang rape scene. The potential rape scene wasn't the issue, as it could have served the story. The problem lies in the complete acceptance, seeming forgiveness, going on for those involved. Like, oh, well, these rapey boys aren't that bad I guess. ( )
  TequilaReader | Nov 22, 2013 |
Another great installment. can't wait for the next. I hope Clair can handle the trouble she is about to sign up for ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Oct 7, 2013 |
Picking up right where Glass Houses leaves off we follow Claire as she stumbles into trouble with vampires and with boys. I realized that what I like about the series is that it's like Buffy, but told from Willow's perspective. Not bad-ass witch Willow, but fuzzy sweater and tight wearing Willow. Claire is smart but her love of her friends pushes her to take chances and do things that scare her to death. ( )
  ErikaWasTaken | Sep 22, 2013 |
RATING: 3 stars

Better. More interesting.

Review to come (maybe). ( )
  slayra | Sep 21, 2013 |
For Ter, who helped lay the cornerstone of Morganville.
For Katy, who helped me through the plot jitters!
It didn't happen, Claire told herself.
COPYRIGHT PAGE NOTICES:

All rights reserved.

Without limiting the rights under copyright reserved above, no part of this publication book may be reproduced, stored in or introduced into a retrieval system, or transmitted, in any form, or by any means (electronic mechanical, photocopying, recording, or ortherwise), without the prior written permission of both the copyright owner and the above publisher of this book.

PUBLISHER'S NOTE
This is a work of fiction. Names, characters,places, and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or are used fictitiously, and any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, business establishments, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

The publisher does not have any control over and assumes no responsibility for author or third party Web sites or their content.

The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the Internet or via any other means without the permission of the publisher is illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author's rights is appreciated.

Claire has her share of challenges. Like being a genius in a school that favors beauty over brains; homicidal girls in her dorm, and finding out that her college town is overrun with the living dead. On the up side, she has a new boyfriend with a vampire-hunting dad. But when a local fraternity throws the Dead Girls' Dance, hell is really going to break loose.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451220897, Mass Market Paperback)

Watch a Windows Media trailer for this book.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:57 -0400)

When Claire Danvers and her equally outcast best friend Eve are invited to the annual Dead Girls' Dance at a fraternity, all hell breaks loose when the living group party with the dead group in a town rampant with bloodthirsty vampires.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,560,966 books! | Top bar: Always visible