The Tea Dragon Society by Katie O'Neill

The Tea Dragon Society

by Katie O'Neill

This story is loving, warm, whimsical and adorable. Greta is the young child of a blacksmith and learning her mother's craft when she comes across a small tea dragon. In this story, tea dragons are small, adorable creatures that sprout leaves and berries from their backs, which their caretakers harvest to make tea. When she returns the found dragon to the owner, he invites her to learn about tea dragon husbandry. The themes of slow living, friendship, and tradition are central to the story. Physical disability, memory loss, and same-sex relationships are represented well. The color palettes are soft and beautiful; there is something visually interesting on every page. Children will enjoy this story in which the young characters have their own responsibilities and are treated with respect. ( )
  captainmander | Jul 19, 2018 |
*I'm basing my review on the web comic.*

A young blacksmith apprentice, Greta, saves a tea dragon from a pack of hungry mystical creatures. This act of kindness propels Greta to meet new friends, learn new stories, and gain a new path in life.

Umm... The idea of tea dragons could possibly be the cutest and best mythical creature combination I've ever heard of. Imagine cute little dragons (that apparently stay small and adorable like how we all wish puppies would stay) that have tea leaves growing out of their heads. It's a little bit odd with the whole tea leaves bit but I know all the tea drinkers would not be complaining. The Tea Dragon Society has definite originality, a pretty pastel like aesthetic to the pages, and some wonderful portrayals of everyday characters.

I enjoyed how Greta was portrayed as such a caring person for animals. She's a goblin... (I know I don't see it either) that meets Hesekiel, this upright kind of gazelle looking character (I might be stretching it there) after she saves his tea dragon, Jasmine, who looks very much like him. He sends her off to Erik, another tea dragon caretaker, to teach her the ways of the tea making process. She also meets Minette, the very allusive pink haired girl who resembles a faun with a dark past.

I was very happy that there were characters that were all types of colors, shapes, sizes, abilities, and loved whomever their heart chose. I was very surprised when I first realized Greta's spark of interest in a certain somebody and other love interests in the story. The relationships shown were very sweet and innocent.

The whole look of the comic was very girly and pretty. There were flowers in the background of some panels that looked like they either represented a person, an emotion, or just to look pretty. Even the tea dragons names went right along with the vibe of the story. There was Jasmine, Chamomile (I kind of want a kitten names Chamomile now), Ginseng, and Rooibos (didn't know that was a tea name!). I'm not into tea - shocking I know given the comic I'm reviewing - but I loved that the story touched upon how the art of tea is fading. That statement is very much how it feels the modern world is turning. There seems to be less artisans or traditions that can be found in everyday places.

There are a couple of things I didn't like in the comic including the weird fat feet/legs compared to Greta's skinny body. I thought her proportions were off compared to all of the other characters and it weirdly bothered me more than it should have.

There were also some flashbacks (Oh, yeah the tea can show you past memories. Kind of important to the story...) where Hesekiel's clothes looked like he had some extra to him in the chest which was very confusing. So although the aesthetic is pretty cute not everything felt like it was drawn a hundred percent correctly.

Minette, the cute little faun girl? Well, she has trouble remembering things but somehow remembers how she lost her memories.... Um... what?

Lastly, I wanted more detail into their lives. I wanted more plot and story. Going from season to season was nice but I felt like I missed a lot in between.

The Tea Dragon Society had only minor issues with my most worrisome one being I wanted more of it. It was a fluffy read about kindness, love, and cute mini dragons. I'd recommend The Tea Dragon Society if you are looking for something light and sweet. ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
This delightful middle grade manga-esque fantasy graphic novel follows a young girl as she discovers tea dragons and the people who care for them. Tea dragons are small dragons, somewhat feline in nature, whose horns produce leaves from which one can make various kinds of tea. They live for thousands of years and require near-constant attention to be kept alive and well. The story is in large part about the joy to be found in patient, exacting, rewarding work, especially of the kind that not everyone understands or that few people see the value in. The illustrations are the perfect combination of whimsy, detail, and charm. Whole-heartedly recommended. ( )
1 vote lycomayflower | May 6, 2018 |
Beautiful artwork and a sweet story perfect. Its short length makes it perfect for younger readers (though I would have liked it to be a bit longer). ( )
  BillieBook | Apr 1, 2018 |
Greta is training to be a blacksmith like her mother, but she discovers a new interest when she rescues a strange creature which she later learns is a tea dragon. These adorable but high-maintenance little beasts produce leaves and flowers that can be brewed into magical tea.

This brief graphic novel is short on plot, but makes up for it with lush illustrations, fascinating and diverse characters, and, of course, tea dragons — the cutest things ever! I want one. ( )
  foggidawn | Mar 11, 2018 |

After discovering a lost Tea Dragon in the marketplace, apprentice blacksmith Greta learns about the dying art form of Tea Dragon caretaking from the kind tea shop owners.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,989,583 books! | Top bar: Always visible