Satellite by Nick Lake

Satellite

by Nick Lake

As the future of our planet gets dimmer, and our resources are slowly depleted, NASA in the not so distant future builds a massive space station with the hopes of additional colonization in outer space. An on this technological wonder, three very special children are born. Named after constellations; Leo, Libra, and Orion, are born to live on the space station until they reach the age of 18. When they are all of age, they will be flown down to earth to live out the rest of their lives. At least, that is the plan.

When Nick Lake’s new YA science fiction novel “Satellite” opens, the three teens are now old enough and are preparing to leave their space-age home. Although frightened, they are very excited to visit our planet for the first time. Having been born in space, in 0 gravity, they are nervous and do not know what to expect even though they video link to their families on earth regularly. They cannot wait to hear the sound of live music, to see oceans, deserts and forests, and to see blue sky where birds fly.

After their successful landing on earth, strange occurrences begin. Secretive behavior and whispered conversations leave them confused and worried for their safety. People are acting strange, something is wrong, and it doesn’t look good. In addition, as the three friends begin to experience gravity, their bodies seriously deteriorate leaving them to make serious choices regarding life or death.

“Satellite” is a marvelous space adventure story that brings to life the meaning of family, the importance of friendship, and tells the story of not only the wonders of science, but of the pitfalls and havoc it can create when new frontiers are not well planned. The author is an extremely gifted writer who crafts sentences you will back up and read over and over just for the sheer beauty of them. His keen descriptions of outer space are simply angelic and very evocative. I felt I was there among the stars with these three brave kids who are tragically forced to embark on many journeys of both the physical and emotional kind in order to remain alive.

Thrilling, exciting, and adventurous. Sad, funny, and emotional. All words that describe this wonderful teen thriller that I believe most adults would enjoy as well. Five stars for Satellite! The pages turned rapidly for this avid reader and I sure hope someone in Hollywood finds this little gem! ( )
  vernefan | Nov 10, 2017 |
Leo, Orion and Libra were born on a space station. Now it is time for the them to go to earth for the first time in their lives. They have waited for this day, and have great expectations. But life on Earth is more dangerous, and in different ways, than any of them imagined. ( )
  lilibrarian | Sep 14, 2017 |
This is a science fiction story about a boy who was born on an orbiting space station reaching age fifteen and coming "back" to Earth. Leo has spent his whole life on Moon 2 along with two other kids his same age. Orion and Libra are twins. Their mothers are all astronauts who cycle in and out of the station. Leo's mother is distant while Orion's and Libra's is more affectionate. Leo's main connection is with his grandfather who is a rancher in California now but was a famous astronaut.

This story worried me at first because I normally do not enjoy stories with non-standard English but this one quickly drew me in and I buzzed right over "i" for "I", "c" for "see", and "u" for "you" among other abbreviations. The story is told by Leo who feels that Moon 2 is his home and who is curious about Earth but doesn't really want to live there.

There are all sorts of adventures like emergency space walks and secret rocket launches. There are also tender moments like those between Leo and Comet, the puppy his grandfather gives him when he gets to the ranch. The story is told poetically and is quite lyrical considering that it is written by a young man who is interested in math and physics and who wants to be an astronaut himself.

We can also see that the adults in the new space program and otherwise around Leo are keeping secrets from him. Finding out those secrets explains a lot about Leo, Orion and Libra. Also kept from Leo is the state of life on Earth with global warming, ice caps melting, and drought that are making life on Earth more precarious.

I was intrigued by the changes that life in space had on the kids' bodies. Leo has low bone density, low lung capacity, and a vulnerability to any stray virus. And he is in the best shape of the three kids who were raised in space.

This book is a great adventure and packs quite an emotional punch too. I strongly recommend it for science fiction fans and those new to the genre. ( )
  kmartin802 | Sep 11, 2017 |

"Born and raised on Moon 2, Leo and the twins, Orion and Libra, are finally old enough and strong enough to endure the dangerous trip to Earth. They've been parented by teams of astronauts since birth and have run countless drills to ready themselves for every conceivable difficulty they might face on the flight. But has anything really prepared them for life on terra firma?"--Jacket flap.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,962,895 books! | Top bar: Always visible