dismiss

Why I'm No Longer Talking to White…

Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race (edition 2018)

by Reni Eddo-Lodge (Author)

In 2014, award-winning journalist Reni Eddo-Lodge wrote on her blog about her frustration with the way that discussions of race and racism in Britain were being led by those who weren't affected by it. Her words hit a nerve. The post went viral and comments flooded in from others desperate to speak up about their own experiences. Galvanised, she decided to dig into the source of these feelings. Exploring issues from eradicated black history to the inextricable link between class and race, Reni Eddo-Lodge has written a searing, illuminating, absolutely necessary examination of what it is to be a person of colour in Britain today --… (more)
Member:othersam
Title:Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
Authors:Reni Eddo-Lodge (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2018), Edition: UK Edition, 288 pages

Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge

This is a book everyone should read

This book is so important. As a white American, I can't relate to what Reni Eddo-Lodge writes about because racism is not something I deal with, but it shouldn't matter if I can relate to what she is talking about. What matters is what I will do with the information from the book. Colorblindness is only effective in blinding us to what our privilege shields us from in the world. Anti-racism is something everyone should work towards, and not something that we use to keep us from doing the work. ( )
  Booksunknown23 | May 18, 2020 |
I wish I had enjoyed it more, but I just didn't feel enlightened or educated after finishing it. ( )
  Linyarai | Feb 16, 2020 |
The title did as intended and got me to read it now, rather than earlier when it would have been more helpful.

To over-trivialise with an inappropriate personal example (my strongest suit), Brexit has often sent me to bed grumpy. And this is increasing in frequency as I feel impotent with the lack of recognition of the problem and leaders that swat away concerns as imagined slights. Which is my first attempt at feeling structural rather than direct racism. "We hear you, but plan to do nothing other than continue in what we were doing anyway."

I get the privilege of being able to tune out of I want and resume a life though, so I guess I just want to live like common people and see whatever common people do. And I'll never understand.
  thenumeraltwo | Feb 11, 2020 |
The provocative title belies the author's intention: she *does* want to talk about race, particularly in the British context, but the conversation is commonly met with defensive postures from white folks: defiance, guilt, tears, frustration, rage, denial. This problem is not limited to loutish brutes who deny the existence of white privilege or structural racism, but those who "mean well," who claim to be allies, or colour blind, or feminist or …. [insert your ism], but who dissolve discussions about racism, or turn the conversation to demonstrate how they, too, face structural inequalities.

As a white someone who has materially benefited from racist cultural and systemic practices precisely because of that whiteness, talking about race (without getting defensive) and listening (without interrupting) can be hugely uncomfortable. But it’s absolutely necessary. Getting angry about racial injustice is not just important, it’s vital to challenging and changing the racist status quo. ( )
  Sonya_W | Feb 5, 2020 |
Made me think, definitely worth a read as an interesting personal perspective on racism in England. ( )
  Dreklogar | Jan 13, 2020 |
For T&T

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 146,559,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible