Why I'm No Longer Talking to White…

Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race (edition 2018)

by Reni Eddo-Lodge (Author)

Member:othersam
Title:Why I'm No Longer Talking to White People About Race
Authors:Reni Eddo-Lodge (Author)
Info:Bloomsbury Publishing PLC (2018), Edition: UK Edition, 288 pages

Why I’m No Longer Talking to White People About Race by Reni Eddo-Lodge

This book is the most informative book on race relations I have ever read. Reni Eddo-Lodge is correct in every word she has written. This is a must read for every white woman out there. Reni Eddo-Lodge explains why we still have not settled race relations and how we move forward and no only talk about race, but talk about being truly equal regardless of sex and color. I highly recommend this book. ( )
  caanderson | Aug 13, 2018 |
This was certainly an uncomfortable read, which was, I suppose, the point. As a middle-aged, middle class, white man who likes to think of himself as holding fairly liberal views, I probably fall right into the group at whom Reni Eddo-Lodge’s book is aimed.

Having heard a few people discussing this book, I think that part of me was hoping I could dismiss it as a collection of exaggerated grievances that struggled to make an overly emotive point. Nothing could be further from the truth. Ms Eddo-Lodge has written a clear, coherent and essentially incontrovertible account of the institutional and structural racism that abounds, in the most self-perpetuating way throughout society.

It also serves to reinforce the fact that one of the greatest disappointments in life is not how nasty or unfeeling the bad people can be – that is, after all, what one would expect. Sadly, it is the inadvertent and occasional, even casual, but no less damaging, unpleasantness from the decent people that often comes across as most painful. The sad irony is that it is the self-satisfied liberals who constantly tell themselves that they aren’t racist so don’t have anything to worry about on that score who represent one of the biggest factors hindering the eradication of racism.

Eddo-Lodge’s book arose from a blog post that she wrote which drew thousands of comments, provoking an extensive, and often heated, online debate. As a consequence of the response to her blog, she has expanded the book, covering a lot of the history of the black and non-white community in Britain, and its frequent invisibility. For instance, hundred thousands of servicemen from the Caribbean and the rest of the Empire participated in Britain’s armed forces in the two world wars, but their huge contribution has scarcely ever been acknowledged.

The book is well-written, comprehensively researched and definitely worth reading, regardless of how uncomfortable its impact might be. ( )
1 vote Eyejaybee | Apr 5, 2018 |
I'm very grateful to my friend Angela for recommending this book. I'm going to pass on the same advice she gave. If you read a part that makes you uncomfortable, stop and think through it and your experiences, then reread it.
Eddo-Lodge is British and talks about the history and current state of racism in Great Britain. She points out that growing up she learned about slavery, civil rights and racism in America, but not about her own country. There are a lot of universal systemic ways racism is similar between the two, but some interesting differences. I think this book can bring some new understandings since it is set against a different background and historical perspective. ( )
  strandbooks | Feb 25, 2018 |
Author Eddo-Lodge wrote a blog piece to express her frustration regarding race and racism in the UK and the piece went viral. Here she expands on her blog entry (ironically, she had meant that writing to serve as a boundary but has ended up talking about race anyway). Covering the history of black people in the UK, the perceptions about them, examples of racism and bigotry they face in the UK, the concept of "white privilege" and how it manifests itself are all here.

Overall I felt the book was uneven. I can't tell if it's problems with the writing/editing and/or because the author is British and covers race relations from that perspective affects my perception. Sometimes the book was really insightful and informative. I found myself learning quite a bit that I didn't know about (the history of black people and the slave trade) and nodding a lot to sentences and excepts about white privilege, intersectionality, etc.

But then there are times when it's just not very good at times. She discusses many instances of injustice towards black people, both historically and "current" (within the past 10 years or so) instances of racism, bigotry, police brutality, microaggressions, etc. Many of these happenings were genuinely enraging and I remember some of them from the news. But sometimes it just felt like she was listing them, one after another. Some chapters were not at all interesting (maybe inserted at the will of the editor or publisher?).

I also somewhat pause at seeing some of the negative reviews. I'm skeptical about many of them that were clearly written by people who were not interested in actually reading what she wrote or come from a place of very raw feelings and defensiveness but I somewhat wonder at the chapter on class (admittedly the British preoccupation with it is something I really don't understand as I'm not) along with some of the other chapters. Some of the information felt a bit repetitious in the sense that I try hard to read more about racism, intersectionality, etc. (even if it's from a US perspective) so I'm not sure if that's me being familiar with many of the concepts already.

As one review notes it felt a bit rushed and I wonder if the author had to cut and paste a bit around some of the really good writings she had because the editor/publisher wanted more on this or that subject. I'm still glad I read it, though.

It was not quite the "must-read!" I thought it was but for someone else (Maybe a British audience? For awhile I had thought this was a book that wasn't going to be published in the US). I'd be interested in reading more on this subject, though. ( )
  acciolibros | Feb 11, 2018 |
This is a brilliant, important book. Why I'm No Longer... begins with the 2014 blog post that gives this book its title and goes on to explain the various ways in which racism is embedded into Britain's structures and how this has been the case for a lot longer than you might think.

The book is split into sections focusing on the history of race relations in Britain, the definition of structural/institutional racism, white privilege, and the intersections between race, feminism and class. This isn't a dry book; Eddo-Lodge writes clearly about a topic that she has obviously researched well, and uses examples to explain and emphasise specific concepts, which I found helpful.

I found much of Why I'm No Longer... enlightening and informative, even as the British daughter of Indian immigrants and as someone with an interest in history and politics. I think I'd been so used to the way in which minorities are treated by some in this country that I'd become somehow inured to just how bad it really is.

Most importantly, on an emotional level, Eddo-Lodge manages to put into words the feelings and experiences I've had as a woman of colour when trying to talk about race, or observing others doing the same on social media. I've had conversations about racism with others that have left me feeling frustrated, but until now, I've never been able to pinpoint why.

I can't say that I 100% agree with absolutely everything Eddo-Lodge posits in her book, but I certainly agree that racism in Britain is much more complicated than the slogans of white nationalist political parties would have you believe. Racism in this country is everywhere, and it's not always intentional or obvious - but it still has a profound affect on people of colour. ( )
  mooingzelda | Feb 10, 2018 |
For T&T

Exploring issues from eradicated black history to the political purpose of white dominance, whitewashed feminism to the inextricable link between class and race, [the author] offers a ... new framewo rk for how to see, acknowledge and counter racism"--Amazon.com.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,214,767 books! | Top bar: Always visible