The Word is Murder by Anthony Horowitz

I am giving this one star less than the Stephanie Plum novel I just read because it doesn't succeed at its goal nearly as well. Inserting himself into the book is a clever idea, but he doesn't come off as a realistic character. I found the mystery rather ordinary and the ending, with the disclosure about Hawthorne, anticlimactic. Happy it read quickly so I didn't have to take too long with it. ( )
  PatsyMurray | Sep 19, 2018 |
Horowitz always writes a good mystery, and placing himself front and center in this book makes it even more interesting, His sidekick, a dour former British police detective adds to the story. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 22, 2018 |
I loved Anthony Horowitz's book, The Magpie Murders and frankly couldn't see how he could top that one! But, he certainly did...by...not telling, that was the thing I loved best about this book! A woman walks into a funeral home and plans her funeral and then is found murdered six hours later. Ex-police detective, Daniel Hawthorne is called in to help with the investigation. Hawthorne is a great character, brilliant but kind of lacking in personal interactive skills. An excellent murder mystery with a quirky narrative style. Definitely recommended! ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Aug 9, 2018 |
I've enjoyed Anthony Horowitz's previous adult mysteries and happily picked up his latest, The Word is Murder.

Oh my gosh, it is so very, very clever! I absolutely adored it!

The murder? A woman walks into a funeral home, plans her funeral and is found murdered six hours later. Ex police detective Daniel Hawthorne is called in to help with the investigation. Hawthorne is also looking for someone to ghost write his memoirs and approaches Anthony Horowitz. Yes, you read that right - Horowitz himself is a character in the book! I must admit to being unsure if this was a fiction book in the first few chapters. (it is) And if this concept would work.(it really does) Horowitz is soon drawn into the case as he follows Hawthorne around on his investigation.

Hawthorne is such a great character - a brilliant detective, but somewhat lacking in personal interactive skills. I quite liked him. He reminded me a bit of Cormoran Strike. The publisher describes Horowitz as a Watson to Hawthorne's Holmes and its a spot on description. I had so much fun reading Horowitz's description of himself, his thoughts and reactions. Can you imagine the writing process? The interactions between the two are wonderfully depicted.

And just as well done is the actual mystery. Hawthorne picks up on the smallest clues and discrepancies. Horowitz also tries to investigate, but doesn't have the skill set of Hawthorne. It's not clear who is the culprit and I was kept guessing alongside of our protagonists.

Clever, clever, clever. The Word of Murder is excellent reading. And....there is a sequel coming called Another Word for Murder. Can't wait! ( )
  Twink | Aug 2, 2018 |
Anthony Horowitz is an author with a far reach into many genres for teens and adults and has even expanded his repertoire to include film and television. His 2017 novel, Magpie Murders (my review here) has been widely acclaimed and lauded for its deft intertwining of a classic mystery with a contemporary frame containing a puzzler of its own. This summer, Horowitz published The Word is Murder, another dive into the world of mystery fiction. This time, Horowitz presents a modern Sherlock Holmes-style tale with a sly twist- Horowitz inserts himself into his own story as its first-person narrator. Blurring the lines between his real life as an author and as a fictional character, Horowitz teases the reader into guessing how much he resembles his own Watson-like creation. For this outing, the author/character is recruited by a former-detective turned consultant whose knack for uncanny deduction and personal idiosyncrasies is an obvious nod to Doyle’s famous protagonist. Hawthorne wants Anthony (whom he irritatingly refers to as “Tony”) to shadow him on his latest case and produce a true-crime report that extols his abilities. Of course, as a famous fiction writer, Horowitz is ambivalent about taking on such an atypical and demeaning role. He agrees to the assignment after a strange encounter at an author event, and then becomes hooked on discovering the solution to the mystery. He repeatedly vacillates in his dedication to the project as he continually clashes with Hawthorne. The book contains a long unnecessary digression in which Horowitz writes about working on a screenplay for Spielberg and Jackson, and the recurring delineation of his achievements bordered on hubris. Of course, the reader is left to wonder if that just could be Horowitz having some fun by allowing his character license to toot his own horn. A good page turner and a unique take on some well-worn territory, The Word is Murder is intriguing and the quirky narrative style is well done. Horowitz’s admirers will be pleased and wonder what he will experiment with next. ( )
  jnmegan | Jul 31, 2018 |

When a wealthy woman is found murdered after planning her own funeral service, disgraced police detective Daniel Hawthorne and his sidekick, author Anthony Horowitz, investigate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,960,847 books! | Top bar: Always visible