The Word Is Murder: A Novel by Anthony…

The Word Is Murder: A Novel (2017)

by Anthony Horowitz

I loved this clever murder mystery. It’s written from the point of view of the author trying to write a book about the case. A woman plans her own funeral and is murdered in her home later that day. A cranky, rude detective is hired to consult with the police on the case. There were fun random scenes, like those with Peter Jackson & Spielberg, and the whole thing was entertaining start to finish. I cared more about the characters than the mystery. ( )
  bookworm12 | Feb 3, 2019 |
THE WORD IS MURDER by Anthony Horowitz
A woman plans her funeral in great detail, leaves the funeral home and six hours later is murdered – or maybe it was suicide. The writing form used for this book (the actual author is a pretend/actual author telling the tale) is a bit off putting, but once you get beyond that the mystery is engrossing. Perhaps I read too many of Horowitz’s Alex Ryder books to be interested in his ruminations as the pretend/actual author. I wanted him to just get on with the murder/suicide and tell his tale.
Well drawn characters, several possible murderers, a convincing possibility for suicide – so which is it? Get beyond his conceit and the mystery is a good one.
3 of 5 stars ( )
  beckyhaase | Jan 30, 2019 |
I loved the mystery and plot but I was not a fan of the writing style. It's written from the perspective of a character in the book who is an author following detective Hawthorne. I liked the Hawthorne character but found myself annoyed at the author character and his suppositions. ( )
  ladyoflorien | Jan 12, 2019 |
A WOMAN SETS UP HER FUNERAL ARRANGEMENTS AND THEN FOUND DEAD. A FIRED DETECTIVE ENLISTS A BOOK AUTHOR TO FOLLOW THE CRIME TRAIL AND WRITE A BOOK ABOUT IT .MANY TWISTS AND TURNS TO GET TO THE END ( )
  pgabj | Dec 11, 2018 |
I see that Horowitz was trying a Watson-Sherlock schtick, but the 'Sherlock' figure lacks all the charm and intelligence of the original. I also found the use of real people like Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson in scenes rather jarring and not very credible. I wonder what they thought. In fact, all the passages referring to Horowitz's real career as a television and children's writer started to feel like intrusive padding in what was a pretty boring murder mystery. A lot of jealous ex-RADA graduates scratching over their careers are hardly the stuff that sets the heart racing. I mean, it's not like someone murdered Richard Burton. ( )
  A.Gables | Dec 8, 2018 |

When a wealthy woman is found murdered after planning her own funeral service, disgraced police detective Daniel Hawthorne and his sidekick, author Anthony Horowitz, investigate.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,649,913 books! | Top bar: Always visible