Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel by…

Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel (edition 2017)

by Mariah Marsden (Author), Brenna Thummler (Illustrator), Kendra Phipps (Editor), Erika Kuster (Editor)

Member:Stewartry
Title:Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel
Authors:Mariah Marsden (Author)
Other authors:Brenna Thummler (Illustrator), Kendra Phipps (Editor), Erika Kuster (Editor)
Info:Andrews McMeel Publishing (2017), 232 pages
Collections:Read
Rating:***

Anne of Green Gables: A Graphic Novel by Mariah Marsden

The problem with this book is as plain as the nose on Anne's face. The hideous, stylized noses jump out and distract on every page (which maybe explains the marketing choice to show the character from the back on the book's cover.)

All the other art is fine. Even the choice to make all the eyeballs either little circles or dots works well enough. But those noses!

I've watched a few episodes of the Netflix series, "Anne with an E," that left me lukewarm about whether I should bother read Montgomery's original novel, but Marsden's engaging adaptation makes me want to seek it out. The scene with Matthew and the brown sugar made me laugh out loud for a full minute.

But Anne's piggy snout kept me from falling in love with this book. ( )
  villemezbrown | Jul 28, 2018 |
I make no secret of my love for the Anne books; it is unending and ardent and utterly complete. While I will confess to having a critical eye where each and any adaption of her story is concerned, I strive, nevertheless, to approach these new iterations with a heart that is open and optimistic. I am ever ready to embrace a fresh retelling, and I am so very happy to be able to welcome Marsden and Thummler’s efforts into the fold.

This interpretation of Anne of Green Garbles follows very closely to the text and, more importantly, is kindred to the book’s spirit. (See what I did there? I know you did. Hey, stop rolling your eyes. This is what my Anne love does to me!) The artwork is eye-catching and a lovely reflection of Anne’s enchantment with the world around her. I do rather wish the character’s eyes were more than solid colored circles, especially when Anne’s are so often noted as being grey (in the books. See? I’m a stickler.) and here they are green, but I’m willing to overlook it. And I love, love that we’ve got a long haired, bearded Matthew. Speaking of things I love, I cannot tell you how happy I was to see the inclusion of the scene where Gilbert keeps Anne’s dropped flower. It’s a favorite moment of mine, and it is so often left out of adaptions!

To switch from fangirl to librarian gear, I do find it interesting that while I generally don’t care for “juvenile adaptions” of classics, I really am all in favor of graphic novels. They add this extra layer of accessibility and appeal, and I adore them for providing an additional entryway to stories that some readers may have found barred to them or that they simply would never have bothered to explore. While I feel there are a few passages here that could bewilder without foreknowledge of the story, I really do think this adaptation of Anne of Green Gables has to potential to attract a swathe of new readers to the shores of PEI and world of Avonlea.

I do hope that they continue with adaptations of the remainder of the Anne books. My inner fangirl is desperate for some “true” visual adaptions of the later books. (I want Miss Lavender! And Roy Gardner! Show me their house of dreams! And all those Blythe kids! Bring me Rilla!) If I can’t get it in film form, I will gladly throw my money at a graphic novel. And my professional self would like to be able to steer reluctant readers to these pages knowing that complete fulfillment awaits them.

ARC provided by NetGalley. ( )
  nwessler | Jun 20, 2018 |
The illustrations are fantastic. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
Schoolyard rivalries. Baking disasters. Puffed sleeves. Explore the violet vales and glorious green of Avonlea in this spirited adaptation.

The magic of L.M. Montgomery’s treasured classic is reimagined in a whimsically-illustrated graphic novel adaptation perfect for newcomers and kindred spirits alike. When Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert decide to adopt an orphan who can help manage their family farm, they have no idea what delightful trouble awaits them. With flame-red hair and an unstoppable imagination, 11-year-old Anne Shirley takes Green Gables by storm.

Anne’s misadventures bring a little romance to the lives of everyone she meets: her bosom friend, Diana Barry; the town gossip, Mrs. Lynde; and that infuriating tease, Gilbert Blythe. From triumphs and thrills to the depths of despair, Anne turns each everyday moment into something extraordinary.

The spirit of Anne is alive and well in Mariah Marsden’s crisp adaptation, and it’s a thrill to watch as the beloved orphan rushes headlong through Brenna Thummler’s heavenly landscapes. Together Marsden and Thummler conjure all the magic and beauty of Green Gables. Like Anne herself, you won’t want to leave.

— Brian Selznick, author/illustrator of “The Invention of Hugo Cabret” and “The Marvels”

MY THOUGHTS:

I received this book in exchange for my honest review.

I absolutely love this cover! As many of you may or may not know, I collect editions of “Anne of Green Gables” from 1st editions, to unique concepts, anything Anne. I’ve been doing this for a very long time. L.M Montgomery is my favorite Canadian author.

So when I saw this edition available at Andrews McMeel Publishing site, I sent my request with the hopes they’d agreed to allowing me to review it. I was very anxious until it arrived lol. And Oh My! I was NOT displeased.

What a beautiful book, a heavy one too. 😉 It’s pages were lined with stunning artwork/illustrations. The only thing I didn’t like was how the characters’ profiles looked around the nose. I’m not sure I would have done it that way, but still, all makes this book unique, the author/illustrators original and overall, so very well done. The cover art is beautiful too. Simple and classical.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to my contact at Andrews McMeel for generously sending this book my way. This is an excellent book for those who are first learning about Anne. (Also great for kindred spirits too!)

My daughter has recently been getting into Anne stories lately, both in DVD and book formats and loving them. When she saw this one, she couldn’t wait to sit down and read it with me and she absolutely adored the pictures and story. What an excellent collector’s item. ( )
  JLSlipak | Mar 18, 2018 |
This book is about Anne who is an orphan sent to live with a man and a women. When we are first introduced to Anne she is waiting at the train station with her bright carrot coloured hair. The Cuthbert Siblings that Anne is sent to live with originally wanted a boy to maintain their farm but were sent Anne instead. This graphic novel shows a young imaginative girl who wins over the hearts of the people around her, including the siblings that adopted her.
  Couwest | Mar 17, 2018 |

When Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert decide to adopt an orphan who can help manage their family farm, they have no idea what delightful trouble awaits them. With flame-red hair and an unstoppable imagination, 11-year-old Anne Shirley takes Green Gables by storm.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,552,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible