Snow & Rose by Emily Winfield Martin

Snow & Rose

by Emily Winfield Martin

I’ve always been a fan of fairytale retellings and this middle-grade didn’t disappoint. I was briefly reminded of Margo Lanagan’s Tender Morsels, but only because the stores are loosely (very loosely) similar. Fortunately, this book wasn't bizarre and off-putting and boring.

Martin wrote and illustrated a delightful little fairytale. Two sisters (one light-haired, the other dark, as is traditional) explore the forest around them as they reluctantly try to adjust to life without their father and the home they grew up in. Naturally, they come across some strange happenings.

Like many fairytales, descriptions are used sparingly, but in all the right places. The beautiful, watercolor (or, at least they look that way, maybe she used markers) illustrations help fill in some of the details too. The girls were spunky and smart and their world had just enough magic – giving me that nostalgic feeling of possibility that I, too, could have stumbled upon a magic forest, without feeling too saturated or bizarre.

The girls and their mother do befriend a strangely tame bear and he lives with them during the winter – hence the Tender Morsels vibe. I’m sure both books have roots in the same tale. This one is obviously geared towards younger readers and I vastly preferred it to the aforementioned story. I did think this was going to be a bit darker – though it’s ok that it’s not – but there is a detail that’s revealed later in the story and not addressed after the ending that left me thinking there is a bit of darkness here, it’s just not as obvious. I dig it.

If you’re a fan of tales where children explore a magical forest, meet bespelled creatures, discover friends in strange places and take charge of their own fate, you’ll probably enjoy this. I can’t recall if I’ve read older versions of Snow and Rose, so I’m not sure how faithfully it sticks to its origins (and I don’t care), but if you also enjoy fairytale retellings and middle-grade, you’ll probably enjoy this. ( )
  MillieHennessy | Jun 20, 2018 |
2.5*

Although this book contains beautiful illustrations, this retelling of the classic fairy tale is slow-paced and lackluster. The story does pick up at the end but by then I was already detached from the story. ( )
  DMPrice | Jun 17, 2018 |
Snow & Rose is such a heartbreaking, sweet fairy tale that I don’t even know where to begin. It seems to have hints of many other fairy tales–some haunted woods, a father that never returns, a rich family down on their luck and living in poverty. However, what I loved most about this story is the focus on the sisters and their relationship; they are the best of friends, continuously taking turns comforting and challenging each other, and helping each other to become stronger.

The sisters (and their mother) are forced to move into a cottage in the woods that claimed their father; Snow is convinced that they can find their father and have him return to them. Rose fears the worst for her dad and tries to moderate Snow’s hopefulness. Though they fear the woods, they adventure out and explore them, meeting all kinds of people and creatures along the way, slowly discovering the mystery of the woods and why so many have become lost within it.

Enchanted woods stories are always must-reads for me, and the characters the sisters meet on their adventures are delightful. There’s a quirky librarian who has a library of stories in the middle of the forest and encourages the sisters to borrow a story each; the huntsman who tracks down the most dangerous creatures living in the forest; a boy whose family sells mushrooms, and with whom they become friends. They’re all wonderfully realized, and this story is a delight from beginning to end.

The illustrations are so fitting for this story. Simple, cute, sweet. They added a lot to keep the atmosphere just the right amounts of creepy and magical. I enjoyed them a lot and think that Martin is very talented.

I definitely recommend this for young people who love fairy tales and are just starting to delve into reading. This would be a great bridge between kids books and middle grade books. It isn’t overly complex or scary, and the illustrations are a nice touch. I’m looking forward to reading more from this author.

Also posted on Purple People Readers. ( )
  sedelia | Apr 4, 2018 |
This was a fairly slow retelling of the Grimm Brothers folktale "Snow White and Rose Red". However, the illustrations were charming and certainly gave the book visual appeal.

Snow and Rose, despite being sisters, had vastly different personalities and many young readers will see themselves in one of the girls. There was enough adventure and suspense to keep me reading, but the ending felt a bit rushed. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Dec 1, 2017 |
Snow & Rose
By
Emily Winfield Martin

What it's all about...

This sweet book is based on a very old and not well known fairytale. It’s about a family and what happens to them when the father/husband does not return one day from his outing. Only his horse returns. Snow and Rose and their mother had to move from beautiful majestic surroundings to a small cottage in a scary forest. Even though they were incredibly sad they had to learn how to survive without their father and husband. Snow and Rose would venture out each day and encounter many dangers from wild forest creatures. They met bandits and a mushroom boy and a mean tiny man. They find an underground house and tiny fairies and are rescued by a huge kind bear! They even find a library that is not an ordinary library. Oh my!

Why I wanted to read it...

This book just sounded unique. It sounds as though it would be about Snow White and Red Riding Hood but it isn’t about them at all. Snow and Rose are strong and resilient. I loved that about them.

What made me truly enjoy this book...

Snow and Rose are very special sisters. Their love for each other was strong and sweet.

Why you should read it, too...

Young readers who love beautiful illustrations and fantasy...that’s just a tad scary...should love this book!

I received an advance reader’s copy from the publisher in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  PattyLouise | Nov 28, 2017 |

Snow and Rose search the forest for their missing father and discover there is a sinister magic at work in the woods.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,106,712 books! | Top bar: Always visible