The Deceivers by Alex Berenson

The Deceivers

by Alex Berenson

Alex Berenson delivers yet another John Wells extravaganza in 'The Deceivers'. In this one, the indestructible Wells manages to make it through relatively unscathed physically, which is sort of unique in the series. His supporting cast, not so much.

The Deceivers is an account of a 'false flag' operation by the Russians to essentially plant a spy at the highest level (I mean, THE HIGHEST) of the US government. The plot revolves around a terrorist attack in Dallas that was intricately planned by the Russians to blame on Moslems and a series of sniper attacks on American religious leaders. Now-President Duto, who we've watched on his unchecked climb to the top of the country's political pile, calls his old 'buddy', John Wells to track down an iffy lead he'd received from South America, and the race is on.

As with all of the books in this great series, the writing is excellent, the pacing breathtaking, the dialogue believable, and the plot well-designed. The only thing I can really fault Berenson on, and this is really nit-picky for a book of this genre, is that lots of shortcuts, assumptions, and action sequences turn in the good guys' favor. There's a tight timeframe to identify, locate, and eliminate the perps, and if just one of the lucky breaks Wells and his guys got didn't happen, the end wouldn't have turned out so well. That's what makes Wells such a great character, right?

If you're a Wells fan (and who isn't?), you'll really enjoy The Deceivers. Well done and, sadly, somewhat believable in the context of what's happening today in this country. ( )
  gmmartz | Aug 10, 2018 |
This book starts out very interestingly as a bad group of people are going around posing as FBI and getting weapons, etc. to Muslims. These Muslims who currently live here, are only posting and ranting on Facebook. These people would not actually go and do what being was done if it wasn't for being supplied with the tools. They would go on carrying their rants to all who would hear. Until one day. . .

There is lots of crazy action going on in this book and I enjoyed it immensely. I sped right through in way wanting to put this book down. Alas, life around me does have to pull me back from now and then to reality. So, unfortunately, I was not able to read it in one sitting, but I still found it a very good read.

The scary part I felt while reading this book, this could actually happen. There could be some wannabe who would do anything to get to the top. A top, that in their egotistical minds, that was well deserved and should be given.

Huge thanks to Penguin Group Putnam and Net Galley for providing me with a free e-galley in exchange for an honest, unbiased review. ( )
  debkrenzer | Apr 9, 2018 |
אקטואלי להחריד, מותח, קצת צפוי ( )
  amoskovacs | Mar 31, 2018 |
Very au courant with types of sparrows and types of the Politburo. The PTSD jab seems unreal, except for the hallucinogenic man. Sorry that the American wilderness has become so wild in the aftermath of the diminishing Fed land grants. I would have liked to see more charming places shown in this tale. ( )
  darcette | Mar 26, 2018 |
Best John Wells novel yet. I liked the setting in the United States. It made it more interesting to me. ( )
  velopunk | Mar 4, 2018 |

"The Russians don't just want to influence American elections--they want it all. Former CIA agent John Wells confronts a plot of astonishing audacity as New York Times-bestselling author Alex Berenson goes beyond today's headlines to tomorrow's all-too-real threats. It was supposed to be a terrorist sting. The guns were supposed to be disabled. Then why was there so much blood? The target was the American Airlines Center, the home of the Dallas Mavericks. The FBI had told Ahmed Shakir that his drug bust would go away if he helped them, and they'd supply all the weaponry, carefully removing the firing pins before the main event. It never occurred to Ahmed to doubt them, until it was too late. When John Wells is called to Washington, he's sure it's to investigate the carnage in Dallas, but it isn't. The former CIA director, now president, Vinnie Duto has plenty of people working in Texas. He wants Wells to go to Colombia. An old asset there has information to share--and it will lead Wells to the deadliest mission of his life, an extraordinary confluence of sleeper cells, sniper teams, false flag operations, double agents high in the U.S. government--and a Russian plot to take over the government itself. If it succeeds, what happened in Texas will only be a prelude"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,016,606 books! | Top bar: Always visible