Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical…

Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction in 25 Steps (edition 2017)

by Daniel Drescher (Author)

202728,464 (4.75)None
Member:cat509
Title:Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction in 25 Steps
Authors:Daniel Drescher (Author)
Info:Apress (2017), Edition: 1st ed., 255 pages
Tags:Data

Blockchain Basics: A Non-Technical Introduction in 25 Steps by Daniel Drescher

I found the content of this book great for beginners like me. It helped me understand the intricacies of blockchain data structure.

The author starts by conveying the limitations of centralized systems and segues into why a distributed architecture is required. Before describing a blockchain components, the author provides an analogy of real world example which definitely helped me perceive those concepts to a greater extent.

Chapters on hashing and the hash puzzle are explained in extremely simple steps. A walk through regarding the public and private key algorithm is also illustrated in a non-technical and comprehensible manner.

There are diagrams that show how the components of the blockchain data structure are layered over each other. I found these image really helpful in knowing the dependent sub-components and will also act as a quick reference when you want to recall / refresh your knowledge.

What started by showing the limitations of centralized systems, ends by describing the limitations of blockchain data structure / pure distributed architecture, there by completing the circle. ( )
  nmarun | Sep 22, 2018 |
This is a prime example of a well written technical primer. Not only does it achieve the goal of presenting the Blockchain as a technology platform in and of itself independent of bitcoin, but it also imparts software system design patterns in an intuitive way. The principles of good information system design are a significant bonus I wasn’t expecting in the first chapters. The book is structured into steps that builds on previous knowledge perfectly.

A few parts of the book stood out above the rest. Part two of the book frames the book by explaining what motivates the Blockchain and also describes the nature and problems of ownership in a way that I have never seen before (probably because I’m not a lawyer). I enjoyed finally comprehending the different meanings of identification, authentication, and authorization (p.43). I also appreciated knowing about weaknesses and attacks on the system to temper the wild expectations that people have for the Blockchain in the media. Lastly, in spite of the many potential applications of the Blockchain, a core assumption is that there must be a source of value associated with it to maintain its integrity.

The hype of Blockchain makes much more sense after reading this book and the comparisons of the technology’s importance to that of the Internet are apt because of its innovative way of solving a fundamental problem in everyday life: trade. The author points out that this technology may develop similarly to the Internet and ultimately suffer the same problems of the Internet: abuse by members, privatization, and consolidation. Regardless, it still seems this technology is poised to become even more mainstream in the coming years.

There were numerous typos and errors that I assume are due to translation from German into English, but most of the time it doesn’t affect the meaning of the passages. The Gill Sans typeface is also a bit hard to read. The chapters are slightly repetitive between the summary, conclusion, and main text of the chapter. There are also numerous lists that are helpful usually, but also sometimes make the writing mechanical and less conversational.

This is the most readable book on the Blockchain or bitcoin that I have come across and I highly recommend it (www.blockchain-basics.com). ( )
  danrk | May 18, 2018 |

What is the real truth? \
Not one person knows alone \
Block by block will tell

In 25 concise steps, you will learn the basics of blockchain technology. No mathematical formulas, program code, or computer science jargon are used. No previous knowledge in computer science, mathematics, programming, or cryptography is required. Terminology is explained through pictures, analogies, and metaphors.This book bridges the gap that exists between purely technical books about the blockchain and purely business-focused books. It does so by explaining both the technical concepts that make up the blockchain and their role in business-relevant applications.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,614,058 books! | Top bar: Always visible