Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie

Sad Cypress (1940)

by Agatha Christie

Series: Hercule Poirot Mystery (22), Hercule Poirot (22)

Recently added bychaosfox, private library, Yammie, Nigel.Jones, am19, CarolynH123, DeboraNunes, phduncan, LondonLori
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (44)  Spanish (2)  Danish (1)  French (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (49)
Poirot tackles a courtroom battle.

"Sad Cypress" is a fascinating Poirot story, combining the weight of Christie’s most mature works with her more ‘classic’ mystery structure.

"Sad Cypress" is a complex but believable mystery, not quite as flashy as Poirot’s most famous works, but very skillfully put together. Coming off of her most prolific decade, Christie was an unstoppable force. Like the carefree, decadent characters who pervaded films in spite of the Depression, the War really did nothing to quash the appeal of Christie’s cruel worlds. Here, Poirot gets to be a champion for justice – always one of his strongest suits – with some convincing courtroom drama (practically unique to Christie’s oeuvre). Perhaps a classic.

Poirot ranking: 13th out of 38. ( )
  therebelprince | Oct 30, 2018 |
The clues in this one are hidden well. A woman standing trial for murder seems to be the obvious, indeed the only possible killer. Hidden motives, mysterious pasts, and red herrings abound. Not the best Poirot, but certainly not the worst. ( )
  bohemima | Feb 18, 2018 |
Elinor Carlisle and her fiancé Roderick Welman travel to see their aunt, who is recovering from a stroke, after receiving an anonymous letter alerting them that their inheritance may be in danger. They meet with Mary Gerrard, a young woman and Aunt Laura's companion, and Roderick becomes infatuated with her, causing Elinor to call off the engagement. When Laura Welman dies intestate after suffering a second stroke, Elinor inherits her aunt's fortune. But then Mary dies suddenly and suspicion immediately falls on Elinor, and she is arrested and faces trial for murder. Hercule Poirot, at the request of Dr Lord, the family doctor, starts asking questions and soon discovers that several people have not been telling the truth about what has happened ...

This book is unusual in several aspects: Poirot doesn't get involved until nearly halfway through the book, Elinor Carlisle is one of Agatha Christie's most complex heroines, and several clues are deliberately repressed by the author, even if the rest of the novel is pure Christie, and the mystery quite ingenious, though as ever quite unlikely. The reason I enjoy reading Agatha Christie's books is because I enjoy picking up on the clues left by the author and trying to guess the identity of the culprit before the big reveal; if clues aren't revealed then half the joy is gone. An entertaining read but one I'll probably not re-read. ( )
  passion4reading | Jan 26, 2018 |
I read this instead of a contemporary mystery for book group. I think the culture has changed enough, as well as the literary expectations, that this book seemed very black and white and flat. I missed description as well as little subplots. I appreciate her skill with the plot, but I think if it was presented to an editor today, it wouldn't pass muster. ( )
  LivelyLady | Dec 28, 2017 |
I've been slowly making my way through Agatha Christie's Hercule Poirot series. I really like how every story is really very unique. often with serial mysteries, the author repeats themselves after a while, but I have not seen that at all with Christie. This was another where I didn't guess the ending and had to wait for the reveal. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinchmann, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away, breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

—Shakespeare
To Peter and Peggy McLeod
"Elinor Katharine Carlisle."

Open-and-shut case
Guilty till proved innocent
Poirot asks questions
(passion4reading)

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425098532, Mass Market Paperback)

As a condemned murderess stands before the court, her eyes meet those of the only man who believes in her innocence. But Hercule Poirot must prove it before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

When Elinor Carlisle goes to visit an elderly aunt, she finds herself charged with murder. Can Hercule Poirot prove her innocent of the crime?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,649,432 books! | Top bar: Always visible