Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie

Sad Cypress (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Agatha Christie

Member:wagon333
Title:Sad Cypress
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper Collins (2009), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Rating:***

Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie (1940)

English (35)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (39)
Really enjoyed this story though Poirot played quite a minor role. ( )
  rosiezbanks | Jul 27, 2016 |
This is one of my favorite Agatha Christie stories. A girl is murdered. Her love rival is suspected. If she didn't do it, who did? The red herrings are all in place and it's difficult to figure out. Even though this was a re-read for me, I still enjoyed it very much. But I still don't know what a fish paste sandwich is. ( )
  MCDyson | Mar 26, 2016 |
Maybe this is my favourite Agatha Christie-novel. So exciting and interesting that I couldn't it quit it till I finished. ( )
  aoestherauthor | Mar 15, 2016 |
"The human face is, after all, nothing more nor less than a mask."
"And underneath?"
"Underneath is the primitive man or woman."

Elinor Carlisle seems to have it all - a pretty and level-headed young London socialite, engaged to the man she passionately loves, in line for a large inheritance - until things begin to go radically wrong. Her rich old aunt Laura has a stroke, her fiance falls in love with an enchanting woman, Mary Gerrard, who is also getting very close to her aunt. When both the aunt and Mary Gerrard die, Elinor is arrested with what seems to be a watertight case against her. Will Hercule Poirot be able to save her, or as he would put it, discover the truth?

I was especially intrigued by the title of this novel, Sad Cypress. It is also the name of a song contained in William Shakespeare's play Twelfth Night which goes:
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O, prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

I enjoyed this mystery--for me, Agatha Christie is an easier read, but also enjoyable because of her portrayal of her characters, and most particularly her detectives. She also has a tendency to be very subtle when leaving her clues. I often find myself pausing over the most trivial bits of information, wondering if there's more to them than the first glance would suggest. And then you have the famous Hercule Poirot, of the egg-shaped head and abundant "little gray cells," who is always an amusing character. In this story, the evidence is so stacked against Elinor, that you really wonder how in the world Poirot will find anything that suggests she might indeed be innocent. Christie has a knack of making you feel that way in most of her mysteries--all the evidence will point towards one person and then before you know it Hercule Poirot discovers the truth! This was one of those mysteries where I actually did figure out who it was, but even then Christie manages to throw in a twist to the story.

If you're looking for a relatively quick read and an engaging mystery, this is a good one to pick up!

AlexisLovesBooks | Feb 9, 2016 |
Not sure where I picked this up-cleaning out my I laws house maybe. Anyway, it's been a long time since I've read an Agatha Christie mystery. Not one of her better ones but enjoyable. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinchmann, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away, breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

—Shakespeare
To Peter and Peggy McLeod
"Elinor Katharine Carlisle. ...?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425098532, Mass Market Paperback)

As a condemned murderess stands before the court, her eyes meet those of the only man who believes in her innocence. But Hercule Poirot must prove it before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

When Elinor Carlisle goes to visit an elderly aunt, she finds herself charged with murder. Can Hercule Poirot prove her innocent of the crime?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 107,629,234 books! | Top bar: Always visible