Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie

Sad Cypress (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Agatha Christie

Member:wagon333
Title:Sad Cypress
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper Collins (2009), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Rating:***

Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie (1940)

Recently added byjpomes, pussreboots, private library, sherripo, rwakefield, Chelsea14458, dlreece, schlechtenBerg, dpeck
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (28)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (32)
Usually Christie's books rate higher for me but Sad Cypress just didn't pull me in to the mystery as so many of her other ones have. I found myself having to reread passages and often looking for other books to read instead. The lengthy exposition of the crime which takes half of the book breaks the usual pacing of a Christie mystery and the book never seems to recover from it. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 12, 2014 |
I've been listening to a BBC radio drama and deceided to pick it up off the shelf since I had no memory of it and wanted to see if the adaption was any good. So far, so good!

A good early country house mystery; I totally failed in my detection skills, as it took a completely different turn at the end. Well worth a re-read.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Mystery/1939/Putnam/271 pgs
SERIES/STAND-ALONE: SA
TIME/PLACE: 1930's/UK
CHARACTERS: Elinor Carlisle; Roderick Welman; Mary Gerrard

FIRST LINES: An anonymous letter! Elinor Carlisle stood looking down at it as it lay open in her hand. She'd never had such a thing before. It gave one an unpleasant sensation. Ill-written, badly spelled, on cheap pink paper.

COMMENTS: Is there anyone better at the puzzle in mysteries? I have read Agatha Christie over the years. I think I read most years ago when I was in my 20's and still pick one up on occasion -- usually so many books so little time, I don't go back for re-reads-- I only get to one when chosen as a group read. And I am always glad to read a mystery by Agatha Christie -- they always hold my attention & I am always wondering who dunnit & usually have to wait until the final hour to be told who it is. I picked Sad Cypress because I had a copy I had gotten from library sale last year. Debated about giving it away/trading it but held on to it. At first I thought I had read this one recently because it had some similarities to The Crooked House I read 2+ years ago (in 2012) but then as I kept reading it became clear this was a different book. Not that I really remember all the details of Crooked House. In this book Elinor, Roderick & Mary knew each other as children. They have in common Aunt Laura -- Elinor's aunt, Roderick's aunt by marriage & Mary lived at the lodge nearby. Aunt Laura didn't have children & took a special interest in Mary so they grew up knowing each other. Now they are in their 20's. Elinor & Roddy are engaged and live in London. Mary has received an education thanks to Aunt Laura, altho' her father believes she is "moving beyond her station", and altho' is currently around to see to Aunt Laura while she is ill she is pondering what she shall do to support herself. Elinor & Roddy travel to the estate to visit Aunt Laura who takes a turn for the worse & dies rather suddenly. She died w/o leaving a will and since Elinor is the closest relative, she inherits. At the same time Roddy is fascinated w/ Mary and decides to break his engagment w/ Elinor. When Mary dies a month later, after having tea w/ Elinor -- almost everyone has presumed Elinor is accountable for the murder. However, there is one person who believes in Elinor, even if he is doubtful of her innocence & he calls in Hercule Poirot to ferret the facts from the lies. ( )
  pammykn | Apr 5, 2014 |
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O, prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.
(Act II, Scene IV of Shakespeare's Twelfth Night)

No. 21 in the Hercule Poirot series. Distant cousins Elinor Carlisle and Roddy Welman are engaged to be married when they receive an anonymous letter claiming that someone is 'sucking up' to their wealthy aunt, Laura Welman, putting their inheritance in jeopardy. Mary Gerrard, the lodgekeeper's daughter, has a close relationship with their aunt and is poisoned after Roddy in infatuated with her and calls off his engagement to Elinor. Poirot is persuaded to investigate the case, even though Elinor has already been arrested. ( )
  boppisces | Mar 21, 2014 |
an unconventional telling of a poirot story, a fiendishly clever puzzle, and a master class in red herrings! ( )
  riida | Nov 12, 2013 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinchmann, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away, breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

—Shakespeare
To Peter and Peggy McLeod
"Elinor Katharine Carlisle. ...?"

Cousins by marriage and lovers by inclination, Roddy and Elinor were the ideal match. He loathed any display of emotion, while she was composed at all times. Then they got an anonymous letter warning that their rich Aunt Laura was thinking of cutting them off, and their perfect world vanished.
Roddy did the unthinkable, and fell in love. And Elinor found herself charged with murder.
When Hercule Poirot is hired to uncover the truth, even the inimitable Belgian detective is stumped.
For a time.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425098532, Mass Market Paperback)

As a condemned murderess stands before the court, her eyes meet those of the only man who believes in her innocence. But Hercule Poirot must prove it before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:24 -0400)

When Elinor Carlisle goes to visit an elderly aunt, she finds herself charged with murder. Can Hercule Poirot prove her innocent of the crime?

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,320,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible