Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie

Sad Cypress (original 1940; edition 2009)

by Agatha Christie

Member:wagon333
Title:Sad Cypress
Authors:Agatha Christie
Info:Harper Collins (2009), Edition: paperback / softback, Paperback
Rating:***

Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie (1940)

Recently added byprivate library, _amritasharma_, Bussola, cap43, sward131, WonderlandGrrl, aoifekerr, dbsovereign, a004358, Cricket856
Legacy LibrariesCarl Sandburg

English (31)  Danish (1)  Spanish (1)  Catalan (1)  French (1)  All languages (35)
Not sure where I picked this up-cleaning out my I laws house maybe. Anyway, it's been a long time since I've read an Agatha Christie mystery. Not one of her better ones but enjoyable. ( )
  Cricket856 | Jan 25, 2016 |

I really enjoyed the differences in this book, as Poirot was blessedly absent for the most part. No matter how much I enjoy the mystery, sometimes I get tired of his pomposity...

Elinor Carlisle stands accused of poisoning, Mary, a younger woman she had every reason to hate & be jealous of..... Mary, a working class girl, had been sent to Germany to be educated by Elinor's Aunt Laura. As Aunt Laura has had a stroke, Elinor receives an anonymous letter saying that Mary is buttering up Aunt Laura in hopes of gleaning her estate.

Elinor & her fiance, Roddy Welman (Elinor's distant cousin) immediately visit Aunt Laura.... When Roddy sets eyes upon Mary, he is smitten and Elinor promptly calls off the engagement....

Aunt Laura suffers a second stroke & begs Elinor to call for her solicitor so that she may make a will..... At this point: Elinor promises her Aunt that Mary shall be taken care of; a vial of Morphine goes missing; and Aunt Laura dies in her sleep intestate....

Later, as Elinor cleans out her Aunt's mansion in preparation to sell it, she invites Mary (whom she has promised a goodly sum of 2,000 GBP) & Nurse Hopkins (Aunt Laura's nurse & Mary's mentor) to lunch..... While Elinor & Nurse are out of the room Mary succumbs to a deadly dose of morphine.....

Elinor is arrested (as she was the one who made lunch), Aunt Laura is exhumed, and the good doctor Peter Lord (which I kept reading as "Lord Peter") call on M. Poirot to prove Elinor's innocence.

There are several more lesser mysteries involved which come together nicely with the main story..... For Once I Figured out who the murderer was! ( )
  Auntie-Nanuuq | Jan 18, 2016 |
Unusually for Christie, a courtroom mystery, taut and well-paced, with a small circle of well-defined suspects and some scrupulously fair clueing (a scrap of label, a letter), although the clue of the roses seemed a bit over-obvious. Climax a bit flat, the (not very surprising) murderer's identity being disclosed without the expected dramatic "reveal."

Fans of Lord Peter Wimsey will note parallels to Dorothy Sayers' Strong Poison (1930). In each, a woman is on trial for a murder by means of a poison she alone is believed to have had the opportunity to administer; but her innocence is maintained by Lord Peter/Peter Lord, who is in love with her.

Even the titles are similar. I have never seen an explanation as to why Christie felt the need to make this elaborate nod in Sayers' direction. Was it a hint for the well-read reader, since there is some similarity in how the poison is ultimately shown to have been administered? ( )
  middlemarchhare | Nov 25, 2015 |
A good Agatha Christie, very entertaining. ( )
  cazfrancis | Sep 7, 2015 |
Usually Christie's books rate higher for me but Sad Cypress just didn't pull me in to the mystery as so many of her other ones have. I found myself having to reread passages and often looking for other books to read instead. The lengthy exposition of the crime which takes half of the book breaks the usual pacing of a Christie mystery and the book never seems to recover from it. ( )
  pussreboots | Oct 12, 2014 |

Christie, Agathaprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Brinchmann, JacobTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Laine, Anna-LiisaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Suchet, DavidNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Come away, come away, death,
And in sad cypress let me be laid;
Fly away, fly away, breath;
I am slain by a fair cruel maid.
My shroud of white, stuck all with yew,
O prepare it!
My part of death, no one so true
Did share it.

—Shakespeare
To Peter and Peggy McLeod
"Elinor Katharine Carlisle. ...?"

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425098532, Mass Market Paperback)

As a condemned murderess stands before the court, her eyes meet those of the only man who believes in her innocence. But Hercule Poirot must prove it before it's too late.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:52 -0400)

When Elinor Carlisle goes to visit an elderly aunt, she finds herself charged with murder. Can Hercule Poirot prove her innocent of the crime?

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,030,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible