Things to Do When You're Goth in the…

Things to Do When You're Goth in the Country: and Other Stories

by Chavisa Woods

Gay, churchy, rural fiction is my jam, and this short story collection does that so, so well. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Dec 13, 2017 |
"Beginning my eighth-grade year, each year, one student in my school would die, and also, one girl would get pregnant, so I guess it evened out. It was a stable population."

Two teenage girls, who like to hang out in a cemetery, befriend a coke-sniffing, homeless woman, who lives in a busted down masoleum. Two goth, lesbians, attend a Mensa party, while on acid. An elderly Evangelical sect, finds theraputic relief, in group sex.
This is a terrific collection of eight, dark, slightly twisted stories, focusing on meth-heads, goths, queers and other folks, who live on the fringes of rural society. Woods is a sharp and bright new voice in short fiction. I will be watching this author closely. ( )
  msf59 | Oct 15, 2017 |
I asked no questions about anything.

"Capturing the lyricism of lives without a future in southern Illinois, southern Indiana, and New York City, Things to Do When You're Goth in the Countryintroduces us to Chavisa Woods's people. They are smart and poor, lost and hoping not to be found, and of high hopes but few if any expectations--inhabitants, mostly young, of a hidden country without a name that exists within America. The eight stories inThings to Do When You're Goth in the Countrybring the underbelly of America into vivid focus. The strange and unique characters in this collection include a "zombie" who secretly resides in a local cemetery; a queer teen goth who is facing ostracism from her small-town, evangelical church; a Brooklyn artist who learns more about the Israeli/Palestinian conflict than he ever wanted to; and the UFOs that trouble a group of friends in the rural Midwest. And the big sis who leaves New York City once a year to go home to see her "little little" and "big little" brothers and bear witness to the injuries from stripping copper wire from abandoned houses, and the smell of the meth lab in the woods nearby, and the sounds of the police scanner radio, and the early deaths that happen for a whole host of reasons"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,681,083 books! | Top bar: Always visible