The Other Girl by Erica Spindler

The Other Girl

by Erica Spindler

I couldn't wait to read this book. After reading the synopsis, I wanted to dig right in to it. I was hoping for a mind-bending, twisting and turning story.

Unfortunately, I didn't get quite what I was looking for. The book started out perfect. Eventually, it slowly dwindled as the book went on.

The story itself is a good story. However, the suspense and thriller aspect of the story wasn't what the hype lead it to be. It was slow moving and not so suspenseful.

The big ending wasn't so climatic as I had hoped. While I didn't see all of it coming, I wasn't overly wowed by it. The story was building up to it and then it just ended. I felt a little cheated and disappointed. ( )
  AmberGoleb | Mar 13, 2018 |
Officer Miranda Rader and her partner Jake are called to investigate the murder of the towns loved college professor. Unknown to Miranda, she will be connected to the crime and her past will have to be faced again.

I have read and enjoyed many books by Erica Spindler. Her last few offerings however have not been as good as her earlier novels. This book however is a lot better and I enjoyed it.

The book has the regular formula of a crime, a love interest and of course a sex scene or two. What the story also had however was a little bit of predictability and it wasn't hard work working out who had done what.

This book was quite an easy read and not too taxing. I quite enjoyed it overall and will always seek out new books by this author.

Thanks to the publisher via Netgalley for the opportunity to read and review the book. ( )
  tina1969 | Jan 31, 2018 |
I received a copy of this book through NetGalley in exchange for an honest review.
I love a good thriller so I was excited to get a chance to read and review this one. Right off the bat, I was hooked. Randi seemed like a girl who was mad at life and wanted any escape from it by way of drinking and drugs. But at only 15 years old, her life quickly went south when something absolutely horrible happened to her and yet nobody believed her because of her past issues. The story goes back and forth between the present where Randi has grown up to be Miranda, a detective on the local police force, and that night where everything went wrong. In the present she is called to the scene of a murder where one small thing alerts her to that night long ago. I was so enthralled by the story that I read the entire book in one sitting. The only issue I had was that I came up with a prediction pretty early on in the book and I turned out to be right. However, a twist showed that there were other factors involved that I had no idea so when those were revealed I was both shocked and appalled which I believe is the mark of a good thriller. After reading and enjoying this book I will definitely be checking out the author's other books. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
When I was reading this novel, I kept getting the feeling that I was missing out on something. It felt like there might have been a prequel to this story, as the author kept hinting at close connections between the different characters in a way that made me feel as if there was more than what was being said in this book. However, it turns out that this is actually a standalone novel. This threw me off a tad bit because I kept feeling as if some of the relationships between Miranda and other characters was not explained as well as it could have been. The story itself was quite obvious; I had figured out the plot and the suspect very early on in the game. In spite of that, I kept reading because the author writes in a very engaging way and I found it appealing. Was this my favorite thriller in the world? No. But it was definitely not a terrible one. It had a good pace, a very good main character, and a few twists and turns to keep readers happy. There is a high chance that I will check out more books by this author in the future!

I received this novel as an advanced copy from NetGalley in exchange for my honest review.
For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
This is a book that surprised me, a lot! The Other Girl's cover and blurb intrigued me, but I had never read anything by Erica Spindler before so I wasn't sure the book would suit me. I read a lot of thrillers, and it takes a lot nowadays to really charm me.

However, this book had everything I wanted in a thriller, a compelling story, well-developed characters and an ending that made me question my conviction on whom the killer is. Seriously, I was quite sure for a long time who the killer was, but at the end, did Spindler twist the story so much, and throw in a couple of red herrings that made me question my belief. I won't tell you if I was right or not, but I ended up quite pleased with the resolution.

I can say that this is the kind of book that, despite perhaps not being that surprising still engrossed me from the beginning until the end. I was captivated. I'm so delighted in this book that I need to find me some more Erica Spindler books to read.

So, in the end, I just want to say that The Other Girl is a superb thriller, a page-turner that kept me entertained all the way until the end!

I want to thank the publisher for providing me with a free copy through NetGalley for an honest review! ( )
  MaraBlaise | Dec 14, 2017 |

"From the New York Times bestselling author of Justice for Sara and The First Wife Erica Spindler comes The Other Girl, a chilling new thriller about a ritualistic murder of a college professor that sends a small town cop back into the trauma she thought she'd put behind her. Officer Miranda Rader of the Hammond PD in Louisiana is known for her honesty, integrity, and steady hand in a crisis--but that wasn't always so. Miranda comes from Jasper, just south of Hammond, a place about the size of a good spit on a hot day, and her side of the tracks was the wrong one. She's worked hard to leave the girl she used to be behind and earn respect in her position as an officer. However, when Miranda and her partner are called to investigate the murder of one of the town's most beloved college professors, they're unprepared for the gruesomeness of the scene. This murder is unlike any they've ever investigated, and just when Miranda thinks she's seen the worst of it, she finds a piece of evidence that chills her to the core: a faded newspaper clipping about a terrible night from her long-buried past. Then another man turns up dead, this one a retired cop, and not just any cop--Clint Wheeler, the cop who took her statement that night. Two murders, two very different men, two killings that on the surface had nothing in common--except Miranda. 15 years ago. And when her fingerprints turn up at the scene of the first murder, Miranda once again finds herself under the microscope, her honesty and integrity doubted, her motivations questioned. Alone again, the trust of her colleagues shattered, Miranda must try to trust the instincts she's pushed down for so long, and decide what's right--before it's too late"--… (more)

Erica Spindler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,063,866 books! | Top bar: Always visible