She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith

She Stoops to Conquer (original 1771; edition 2010)

by Oliver Goldsmith

Member:rebxraylp
Title:She Stoops to Conquer
Authors:Oliver Goldsmith
Info:ReadaClassic.com (2010), Paperback, 96 pages
Rating:***1/2
Tags:British, fiction, novel

She Stoops to Conquer by Oliver Goldsmith (1771)

If you've never read or seen a comedy of errors or farcical play like those of [a:William Shakespeare|947|William Shakespeare|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1360741702p2/947.jpg] and [a:Oscar Wilde|3565|Oscar Wilde|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/authors/1357460488p2/3565.jpg], then you might find this more entertaining than I did. Having studied Wilde's slightly more modern [b:The Importance of Being Earnest|92303|The Importance of Being Earnest|Oscar Wilde|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1298438452s/92303.jpg|649216] in great detail as a teenager and later watching [b:An Ideal Husband|5296|An Ideal Husband|Oscar Wilde|http://d202m5krfqbpi5.cloudfront.net/books/1348131690s/5296.jpg|130598], you come to realise this genre is little more than a one-trick pony; if you've seen one, you've seen them all. Besides minimal alterations in events, only the cast and the production values change from play to play, from performance to performance. Originality is harder to come by in these older and somewhat old fashioned, and perhaps less sophisticated, plays. Wilde managed to stand out from the crowd with his tricky witticisms and absurdities. She Stoops to Conquers possesses nothing so unique, as far as I can tell.

The repetitive nature of this sort of play's light humour devices such as the use of puns, wordplay, slapstick and the heavily relied upon mistaken identity trope (which is used here), concluding with the inevitable romantic happy ever after enacted by genteel, upper class main characters making satirical references to gender and class politics before falling in love at the drop of a hat (sometimes literally), tend to leave me a little bored of the predictability while only evoking a chuckle or two at most.

Also repetitive was the use of the word 'impudent'. Unfortunately this was written pre-thesaurus so I'll have to forgive Goldsmith's overuse since he didn't have easy access to synonyms like we do today.

Honestly, the skillful audio portrayal of She Stoops to Conquer by the distinct voices of a full cast, especially Spike James Marsters, is solely responsible for capturing and maintaining my attention throughout. I imagined Mr. Marsters in his Buffy persona's pre-vampire days as a less feeble version of the English gentleman William Pratt. You'd never know he's 100% American from his superb upper crust and unrefined British accents. Twice my age and yet I still perk up at the sound of his voice. *smiles*

*Downloaded for free during Audiobook Sync's 2013 annual summer event. ( )
  Cynical_Ames | Sep 23, 2014 |
This full cast audiobook recording was a fun way to revisit one of my favorite Restoration comedies. However, I found that some of the humor didn't come across as well as it did in reading (of course, both of those pale in comparison to seeing the play performed!). ( )
  leslie.98 | May 10, 2014 |
*Review of LA Theatre Works Audiobook Edition*

I went into this book with very little expectation. I mean, it's a supposed classic that I've never heard of, and drama isn't my particular favorite. However, it was a free audiobook download from Sync this summer, and it was the recording of a theater production that included James Marsters (eek!). It's also only a couple of hours long (not a huge commitment at all), so I decided to give it a go.

Um, why haven't I heard of this play before? Because it's hilarious! 20 minutes in, I was laughing non-stop and having a thoroughly good time. The fact that this is recorded theatre gives it a huge advantage, since the performers give their lines with perfect emphasis and tone. She Stoops to Conquer is a typical comedy that centers around mistaken identities and misunderstood situations. All of the characters are funny and loveable, and the talent of the performers is unmistakable, even without being able to see them act it out.

I'm so glad that I had the chance to discover this play, and that I was able to do so in an audio format. I think that most plays are meant to be heard and/or seen, and I would definitely recommend staying away from the print and going straight to a performance or this audio version for She Stoops to Conquer. Many of the jokes wouldn't be very funny without hearing the interaction between the characters and without hearing the inflections of the words.

The plot is fairly predictable; however, because of its simplicity and some of the extremely ludicrous characters (like Mrs. Hardcastle), I believe this was written as a parody of the mistaken identities type of play that Shakespeare is so famous for.

If you ever get the chance to listen to this, or see it performed, do so! It's one of the funniest plays I've come across. ( )
  sedelia | Aug 21, 2013 |
Charming satire concerns a young lady who poses as a serving girl to win the heart of a young gentleman too shy to court ladies of his own class. Notes.
  BlessedHopeAcademy | Jul 27, 2013 |
I had to check the dictionary more often compared to when reading regular books. And sometimes, the dictionary doesn't even contain the words from this 1700's comedy! Other than that, it was pretty funny. I bet that it's more hilarious when performed. (Got to check out if there's some on YouTube.) ( )
  MagicCapslock | Mar 31, 2013 |

Hopper, Vincent F.Editorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Kronenberger, LouisIntroductionsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Marsters, JamesNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Ogden, JamesEditorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Charming satire of the sentimental comedies of the day has entertained audiences since 1773. A young lady poses as a serving girl to win the heart of a young gentleman too shy to court ladies of his own class. Many delightful deceits, hilarious turns of plot must be played out before the play concludes happily.  Notes.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:45:41 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,459,789 books! | Top bar: Always visible